Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post your trip details here. Tell everyone what kind of range you are getting in what conditions. You know the drill, lots of people who are thinking about buying an EV are always interested, so let them know.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First long trip(s) in our new 38 kWh Ioniq.

6 degrees outside, lashing with storm Ciara rain all the way, started with full charge.

Travelled 123 miles (approx 90% motorway) at speeds of 65-70mph (this speed would have killed our Zoe), arrived home with 51 miles predicted range left. So 174 miles in winter and in the rain at motorway speeds - not bad.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
529 Posts
Just got my 38 kWh Ionic last week, have only done a couple of 50 ish mile journeys so far, the data is complicated by the fact that I've been trying out rapid chargers on the way just to get used to using them. Will post some data when I do a longer trip. Love the car so far. A slightly harder ride than the Ampera but overall great.

·
Registered
405 Posts
So far 950 miles at 4.3mpkWh average. Over 700 miles on motorways.

300 miles back from DSG with cruise set at 66mph.

Just over 400 miles to London and back with cruise set at 71mph.

Obviously a few 50mph sections on the motorways for roadworks.

The rest is driving round local town / area.

Very happy so far. Car left at home for a few weeks now, not expecting any vampire drain! ??

·
Embracing the GTE revolution in Golf GTE
483 Posts
These figures are certainly encouraging just wish I had managed to get in on them earlier like a lot of users on here.

·
Registered
456 Posts
First long trip(s) in our new 38 kWh Ioniq.

6 degrees outside, lashing with storm Ciara rain all the way, started with full charge.

Travelled 123 miles (approx 90% motorway) at speeds of 65-70mph (this speed would have killed our Zoe), arrived home with 51 miles predicted range left. So 174 miles in winter and in the rain at motorway speeds - not bad.
That’s impressive.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[email protected]@dy Nora. Short trip to report, coming into work, weather getting better 10 degrees, but very windy (maybe the wind was behind me). Cabin set to 21 degrees, heated seat & wheel. 6 miles/kWh!! Traffic very light due to school holidays. Very impressed.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Ioniq
51 Posts
Has anybody compared the 28 and 38 for efficiency?

As stated previously, I got 6.2mi/kWh out of the last Ioniq on a 350 mile journey., and want to try for 250 miles (even if it means drafting a little!)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[email protected]@dy Nora. Short trip to report, coming into work, weather getting better 10 degrees, but very windy (maybe the wind was behind me). Cabin set to 21 degrees, heated seat & wheel. 6 miles/kWh!! Traffic very light due to school holidays. Very impressed. View attachment 127909
Update: when I got out of the car I could see that it is incredibly windy today (in the direction of travel), so this was probably wind assisted, so I assume it doesn't count for my personal record :) Still impressive.

Reactions: SCanfer

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
155 Posts
Update: when I got out of the car I could see that it is incredibly windy today (in the direction of travel), so this was probably wind assisted, so I assume it doesn't count for my personal record :) Still impressive.
Yeah if youve got a 40 or 50 mph tailwind, that will probably explain it. I've got a 140 mile trip on Saturday into 40-50mph head winds, that could be interesting....

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah if youve got a 40 or 50 mph tailwind, that will probably explain it. I've got a 140 mile trip on Saturday into 40-50mph head winds, that could be interesting....
How did you get on?

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
155 Posts
Well, probably would have made it, just, but was struggling to get much over 4miles per kWh. As it happens the M4 was shut so went M40 and then via a Lidl fast charger near Didcot to take on about 10kwh (c25%) Arrived with 33%. But the fast charge was important as we were overnighting at the destination on the granny charger, so had we arrived at only 10% we wouldn't have been able to leave till about midday!
Tailwind coming back was around 20mph, but got over 5miles per kWh (so I reckon with a 40-50mph tailwind that would be closer to 6 mpkWh), that was doing max of 70 but usually more like 65, and quite a lot of the M4 is roadworks so 50 max.
Bit disappointed with the fast charge speed though, it hit 34kw max, and was charging from about 33% to 58% so should have been in the sweet spot.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Bit disappointed with the fast charge speed though, it hit 34kw max, and was charging from about 33% to 58% so should have been in the sweet spot.
Did you watch the Bjorn 1000km challenge video? He was able to read the battery temp via a phone app linked to an OBD2 dongle. I seem to recall he got the best speed when the battery was circa 26c. It's worth watching the short video (or full 1000km if you have the time).

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
529 Posts
I've had my Ioniq 38 a few weeks now, and have done 600 ish miles pottering around Bristol environs, all short journeys so far, mostly 5-20 ish miles, all under 50 miles. The weather has been generally wet and cold 5-10C, I have an average consumption of 3.9 m/kWh.
Did my first 'longer' trip yesterday, Bristol to Reading area and back. Started with 100% showing 180 miles range and 6 C. Conditions were dry and not windy, trip was 90% mway at 70 ish mph, got overall 4.5 m/kWh, total mileage there and back was 184. I knew I would be able to top up at my destination on a 7 kWh charger for a few hours (act ~2 hours) so there would be no need for any other charging, got home with 22%. At 99 miles, the range was showing 47% remaining. Topped up from 47% to 75 % in ~2.5 hours on 7.1 kWh. Outside temp was 10 ish on the way back. Heating on 21-22 C all the time.
On the way there tried to top up at Chieveley for novelty value whilst having a coffee stop but was foiled by an inconsiderate i3 driver sat on the CCS post at 98% - they were still there over 30 mins later when I left........ almost as bad as ICE'ing.
Love the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for posting - really interesting to hear from actual users, rather than just general reviews. Looking forward to getting mine in the next couple of weeks.

Quick question, you say you got 3.9 miles per kWh, but the car indicated 180 mile range at 100%. That would suggest around 4.7 m/kWh. Do you think it takes while for the car to adjust its range estimate based on use?

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
529 Posts
Good question! I don't have an answer to that.
I'm still trying to get my head around the numbers myself. All I can say is that in one way at least, the GOM seems consistent, i.e it was reading close to 90 miles at 50 percent.
I can't get the 7.1 kW charging numbers to reconcile either. I charged for 2 h 20m at a dashboard indicated 7.1 kW which should have given me about 16.5 kW, the GOM then went up in that time from 47 to 75 percent, =28 percent of 38 Wh is closer to 12kW. Something not quite right. Charging losses?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We have now done about 1,500 miles in ours and so far, extremely impressed. It looks like we have been getting a consistent 172miles range. The weather has been pretty bad all of the time, wet, cold and windy, but the car has been spot on.

A lot of motorway driving at about 65mph and this doesn't seem to reduce the range, even though we always have the heating on. Never had to rapid charge yet as the furthest destination was about 130 miles and we arrived with 42 miles of range and plugged it into a 7kw charger for the afternoon.

GOM seems to be very accurate as well.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I can't get the 7.1 kW charging numbers to reconcile either. I charged for 2 h 20m at a dashboard indicated 7.1 kW which should have given me about 16.5 kW, the GOM then went up in that time from 47 to 75 percent, =28 percent of 38 Wh is closer to 12kW. Something not quite right. Charging losses?
Sounds excessive for charging losses. My Ampera takes 12 kWh from grid at 3.3 kW to give me 10.4 kWh SOC, so 87% efficiency. Your 12/16.5 is only 72% efficient! Did you have the heating or a/c on during that 2 hrs 20 mins? Could be the difference.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts