Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
467 Posts
Agreed, sounds excessive for losses. My Ampera was the same as yours ~12.4 to get 10.4. One of my numbers must be out somewhere. Or the indicated 7.1 isn't really that. It does a take a few mins to ramp up to 7.1 but don't think that's enough to explain it.

I used to have a large spreadsheet for the Ampera but with the Ioniq I'm trying to wean myself off the numbers and just enjoy driving the car!

One good thing is that as the Ioniq battery is much larger than the Ampera it's an excellent storage for excess solar.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
So, did you have the heating on while you sat there for 2.3 hours in the freezing cold? Or did you apply a rush of heating when you got back to car after a nice long meal, and as it warmed up, you logged the figures? :)

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
467 Posts
Good question about heating in the car whilst charging, I don't think the heating is on whilst charging but need to look into that. Still finding out about the car. I checked the figures before driving off. (I was indoors in the warm)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was charging on a Polar 7kw post today, for a while the car was on, ready mode, HVAC was on 18c not ac, message popped up on the screen saying something like the heater is being operated by an external battery it may take longer to charge. I can't remember the exact words. It was 11/12 c where I was today so heater should have been on..

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
More range updates: Temperature was about 9 degrees on Saturday evening and we travelled East along the M62, over 110 miles covered and arrived with 60 miles left on the GOM. Now here is the best part, we were travelling a little (ahem) over 70 mph for the whole journey!! I think that there may have been a bit of a tailwind, but this efficiency is unbelievable 170 mile predicted at 70-75 mph at 9 degrees. The King of efficiency easily. This speed would have killed our range with our last two EVs, we used to draft lorries at 55mph!

Regen set to zero and the car just coasts along barely using any electrons.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thing about the Ioniq, and most of the other South Korean EV's, is they do pretty much what they say in terms of range.

Most owners of the other brands seem to always be moaning about lack of range, especially winter range, and, funnily enough, more so M3 owners!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think that there may have been a bit of a tailwind, but this efficiency is unbelievable 170 mile predicted at 70-75 mph at 9 degrees. The King of efficiency easily. This speed would have killed our range with our last two EVs, we used to draft lorries at 55mph!
What range would you get if you did draft lorries at 55mph? 😯 170 miles is amazing and much better than I was expecting. Have you tried to assess the range by feathering the Go pedal, and anticipation style driving.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
What range would you get if you did draft lorries at 55mph? 😯 170 miles is amazing and much better than I was expecting. Have you tried to assess the range by feathering the Go pedal, and anticipation style driving.
Good question. In terms of the range I have been reporting here, it is after long journeys on the motorway. The last range my wife was driving at speeds 70+mph which we never have in an EV, but the range was staying over 4 kWh. We drive the car in zero regen on the motorway, which gives the best results. The adaptive cruise control is very good, but drops range as the computer isn't as good at anticipating as a real driver is.

It would be good to see some other reports on here of others range.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts