Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yes, I have seen the videos. Not a big issue for me, but from skipping through the video, I am not sure why it charges so slowly. Could it be a software issue?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, not an issue for my use either as a 60 to 90 mile commuter but would be nice (unlikely) if sorted by software. Sounds as if it’s designed that way.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've seen this, just about to pull the trigger on an Ioniq 28kwh lease. I'm not sure if it would actually be an issue, but it sounds like a similar design to the leaf 40, where they have crammed and extra 30% odd into a battery the same physical size as before. Assume it needs to be extra careful with the heat dissipation?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've seen this, just about to pull the trigger on an Ioniq 28kwh lease. I'm not sure if it would actually be an issue, but it sounds like a similar design to the leaf 40, where they have crammed and extra 30% odd into a battery the same physical size as before. Assume it needs to be extra careful with the heat dissipation?
But the difference is that Ioniq has cooling, right? Not an issue for me either. 200 miles is plenty for 90% of my journeys

·
Registered
7 Posts
The battery shares design with the 39kWh Kona. I'm guessing it has components rated at top 125A and that cap combined with the lover voltage results in a low power/kW.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This was posted by someone on Facebook. It's a response from Hyundai regarding this

H John, I have the following information for you :
The battery capacity has increased by 38%, why does the DC charging time increase by +135% (54min vs. 23min)?
  • For AE PE EV we have increased the battery capacity by 10.3 kWh, while we are almost keeping the same packaging.
  • This was possible through an increase of the energy density of the battery pack.
  • With the higher energy density, the thermal management of the battery has to be controlled more accurately.
  • Due to that, the charging logic has been adjusted, as a consequence the maximum charging current has been reduced.
Why are the DC charging times so close; 57min (100kW)/ 54min (50kW)?
  • For our EV models, we indicate DC charging times based on the max. output of the fast charging station (based on 50kW and based on 100kW)
  • When charging AE PE EV at a 50kW station, 80% SOC can be reached in 57min.
  • When charging AE PE EV at a 100kW station, the battery management system uses only a small proportion of the additional 50kW that the charging station can provide.
Due to that, there is a difference of only 3min to reach 80% SOC.
Hope this helps. Sarah.

·
Registered
779 Posts
It's a cost-cutting downgrade IMO. Battery is borrowed from the Kona 39 (which wasn't selling when I last saw the figures)
For many, the extra range will be worth slow charging, because many people don't rapid charge often.
I'm guessing its a stop-gap car, until an Ioniq based on a skateboard pack can be produced.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Put on charge at 49% today; 24kW.
45 minutes later it was 89% and charging at 6kW.

Range looked likely to make 200 miles at 60mph.
Lane keep assist seemed very poor compared to leaf, swerving from side to side. No e-Pedal. Better HMI than the Leaf though.

Don’t think we’ll be buying :(

·
Registered
863 Posts
Put on charge at 49% today; 24kW.
45 minutes later it was 89% and charging at 6kW.

Range looked likely to make 200 miles at 60mph.
Lane keep assist seemed very poor compared to leaf, swerving from side to side. No e-Pedal. Better HMI than the Leaf though.

Don’t think we’ll be buying :(
Just to point out that lane assist (or whatever it is called) on most cars is poor; it is there as a safety feature to push you back into the lane if you are drifting or fall asleep at the wheel. If this happens, then I don't think many people will complain that it is a bit rudimentary and juddery as it could save a life. Hopefully you will never have to use it.

·
Premium Member
10,189 Posts
Just to point out that lane assist (or whatever it is called) on most cars is poor; it is there as a safety feature to push you back into the lane if you are drifting or fall asleep at the wheel. If this happens, then I don't think many people will complain that it is a bit rudimentary and juddery as it could save a life. Hopefully you will never have to use it.
Yes, I think people confuse Lane Keep Assist (LKA) safety systems with more advanced driver assist Autopilot, Propilot, etc. LKA helps achieve 5 star EuroNCAP which is why we are seeing more cars with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I suppose it won't be a huge problem for most, but if doing a journey over 200 miles, best strategy may be to charge little and often. Ie charge from say 15% to 55 / 60% twice, rather than 15% to 90% once. It clearly doesn't make much sense to use a rapid (which usually costs more anyway) past about 60%.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I suppose it won't be a huge problem for most, but if doing a journey over 200 miles, best strategy may be to charge little and often. Ie charge from say 15% to 55 / 60% twice, rather than 15% to 90% once.
That makes sense. Plus above 300 miles you'd likely want to make multiple stops right?

It clearly doesn't make much sense to use a rapid (which usually costs more anyway) past about 60%.
Why not? You'll still get around 35kW after 60% though, right? Which is better than a 7kW.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts