Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Ioniq 38kwh - what happens next?

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Electrickery 
#1 ·
If Hyundai are set to discontinue the Ioniq 38kwh at some point soon, will they be replacing the efficient, long range car at a decent price with something newer? Or just give up on that section of the EV market?

#10 ·
The Ioniq 5 is based on the E-GMP platform shared with Kia. Cars with smaller (or longer) wheelbase can be designed to work with this platform meaning the Korean makers should be able to be pretty flexible and agile in developing a range of cars to target a particular marker segment.

Cars built on the new platform will likely support larger batteries and make good use of the space but may struggle to beat the efficiency of the early Ioniq cars, even though these were built on a platform designed to accommodate petrol and hybrid cars too.

#12 · (Edited)
Once they have the platform it is possible for Hyundai and Kia to build a new model to sit on that much quicker than 5 years. The issue is more likely around manufacturing capacity and specifically battery production - they can't build enough and there is more profit to be had in larger vehicles so they will be produced first. Once there is spare capacity and demand for more profitable vehicles wanes you can expect more smaller and cheaper vehicles to be offered.

#13 ·
I'm personally not a fan of SUV type cars, so I hope that there is at least something of a family saloon type size that I can replace mine with when the time comes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.