Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't see that this has been asked already but for Ioniq 5 owners, is the lack of rear wiper an issue? Bjørn Nyland references the clarity of the rear screen on a wet drive a couple of times in his 1000km video.

Anyone have any experience of this? Is it a problem? Would Rain-X or similar sort this out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can't see that this has been asked already but for Ioniq 5 owners, is the lack of rear wiper an issue? Bjørn Nyland references the clarity of the rear screen on a wet drive a couple of times in his 1000km video.

Anyone have any experience of this? Is it a problem? Would Rain-X or similar sort this out?
I haven't driven in rain yet, but I can't see how it won't be a problem, my last car had a steeper rear window and it needed a wiper. Not sure I'll be going fast enough in normal city traffic for the "spoiler' air flow to clear anything. Even the Korean's reviewers said that the car can really do with a wiper.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My current car is a BMW 335d GT, so it has a sloped rear screen with no wiper. It has never been a problem, at speed the water blows off and for parking the camera is fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My current car is a BMW 335d GT, so it has a sloped rear screen with no wiper. It has never been a problem, at speed the water blows off and for parking the camera is fine.
Yes, the key words are "at speed" it's not likely to be clear pottering along a 20MPH zone :). Although I guess there'll be less need to see out of the rear window at low speed. I could always turn on the reversing camera.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Did this actual test today in my Ioniq 5 as pouring with rain here in South Wales today.
And no surprise at all, airflow does not seem to clear the rear windscreen. Tried at 50,60 & 70mph on the motorway. Even tried the de-mister but that took a while and started to work but not that effective.
I have previous with the so called “it’ll clear with aerodynamics” BS as we ran a Honda Civic Type R FN2 (the wedge shaped one from 3 generations ago) and they said the same with that car.Didn’t work either.

BUT….the Ioniq has a saving grace. The rear camera activates via a button on the dash and that seemed to stay surprisingly clear and remained colourful and pin sharp! Better view than looking out the rear window on a motorway!
If the engineers said this to begin with “no wiper but you can use the rear view camera instead” then fine, but the “airflow” explanation is total garbage. Unless you cruise may be at 100mph+! Will try and post a video up on YT soon.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate Long Range RWD in Gravity Gold, Eco & Tech packs
266 Posts
Did this actual test today in my Ioniq 5 as pouring with rain here in South Wales today.
And no surprise at all, airflow does not seem to clear the rear windscreen. Tried at 50,60 & 70mph on the motorway. Even tried the de-mister but that took a while and started to work but not that effective.
I have previous with the so called “it’ll clear with aerodynamics” BS as we ran a Honda Civic Type R FN2 (the wedge shaped one from 3 generations ago) and they said the same with that car.Didn’t work either.

BUT….the Ioniq has a saving grace. The rear camera activates via a button on the dash and that seemed to stay surprisingly clear and remained colourful and pin sharp! Better view than looking out the rear window on a motorway!
If the engineers said this to begin with “no wiper but you can use the rear view camera instead” then fine, but the “airflow” explanation is total garbage. Unless you cruise may be at 100mph+! Will try and post a video up on YT soon.
I have just watched your video, I was very sceptical about this feature working too, mine clears about as effectively as yours does.
As you say the rear view camera is the saving grace.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have just watched your video, I was very sceptical about this feature working too, mine clears about as effectively as yours does.
As you say the rear view camera is the saving grace.
Has anyone lucky enough to have an Ioniq 5 had a chance to try a good quality glass sealant on the rear screen to see if this resolves/improves the issue?

I'm just about ready to order an Ioniq 5 but seeing a couple of videos about the lack of a rear wiper is causing me to hold off. If sealant will sort it though, then I'm happy with that. There's an article here that kind of explains why saloons and/or cars with a sloping rear screen don't need a rear wiper - Hyundai Did Not Give the Ioniq 5 a Rear Wiper, But Shouldn't It?

My commute is 80 miles of pretty much all motorway. In winter when the car is regularly covered in salt and grime, am I going to have to regularly wipe the rear screen when all that salt and grime dries on?

Very happy to be told I'm overthinking this but I can't get over it at the moment.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
If it bothers you that much, don’t get one: a hydrophobic coating will never match a rear wiper, as dirt will still build up on the glass over time. Plus the rear headrests block the view a bit.

Personally, I haven’t had a rear wiper on a car for a very long time and have got used to using the demister and/or side mirrors and/or parking sensors and/or the rear camera when needed.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate Long Range RWD in Gravity Gold, Eco & Tech packs
266 Posts
Has anyone lucky enough to have an Ioniq 5 had a chance to try a good quality glass sealant on the rear screen to see if this resolves/improves the issue?

I'm just about ready to order an Ioniq 5 but seeing a couple of videos about the lack of a rear wiper is causing me to hold off. If sealant will sort it though, then I'm happy with that. There's an article here that kind of explains why saloons and/or cars with a sloping rear screen don't need a rear wiper - Hyundai Did Not Give the Ioniq 5 a Rear Wiper, But Shouldn't It?

My commute is 80 miles of pretty much all motorway. In winter when the car is regularly covered in salt and grime, am I going to have to regularly wipe the rear screen when all that salt and grime dries on?

Very happy to be told I'm overthinking this but I can't get over it at the moment.
I think I have some Rain-X somewhere, if I can find it I will try it. Dry weather at present so not yet!

Reactions: MikeS

·
Registered
929 Posts
Not just the rear window. When the side windows have water on them opening and closing the windows doesn't clear the water.
Same as on my Kona.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,184 Posts
I think anything hatchback shaped needs a rear wiper, it has always been the case.

Whilst it might not be a deal breaker, I’m sure it would become tiresome keeping it clear.

The hydrophobic coatings never seem to work long term.

Looks like Hyundai decided a rear wiper didn’t fit with the hi-tech image, or the wiper would spoil the lines. They could have mounted it up in the rear spoiler and wipe down so it would be hidden from view when not in use?

It’s good to see that Hyundai are carrying on the long tradition of all car makers by inexplicably omitting things that you’d expect to see anyway! 😉

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think anything hatchback shaped needs a rear wiper, it has always been the case.

Whilst it might not be a deal breaker, I’m sure it would become tiresome keeping it clear.

The hydrophobic coatings never seem to work long term.

Looks like Hyundai decided a rear wiper didn’t fit with the hi-tech image, or the wiper would spoil the lines. They could have mounted it up in the rear spoiler and wipe down so it would be hidden from view when not in use?

It’s good to see that Hyundai are carrying on the long tradition of all car makers by inexplicably omitting things that you’d expect to see anyway! 😉
I've just swapped my ID.3 for an Ionic 5. So I've regained rear speakers and alloy wheels but lost the rear wiper. C'est la guerre.

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
I've just swapped my ID.3 for an Ionic 5. So I've regained rear speakers and alloy wheels but lost the rear wiper. C'est la guerre.
Yes, odd omissions on both cars really (although alloys standard on my ID.3 version), but I guess a rear wiper is a very difficult retrofit especially where it doesn’t exist on any other models.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
689 Posts
How can this be a deal breaker? Minor annoyance maybe. All our cars do have rear wipers and frankly I can't remember the last time I used one.

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
How can this be a deal breaker? Minor annoyance maybe. All our cars do have rear wipers and frankly I can't remember the last time I used one.
Isn’t that because most cars auto wipe when selecting reverse? You don’t miss some things until they’re gone.

I drove the ID.3 230 miles in torrential rain last Tuesday, the rear wiper got plenty of action as the rear screen collected spray. I expect the Ioniq 5 will be the same. A camera might work, but it will still get dirty over the course of a journey.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,767 Posts
on a wet motorway, whilst I have side wing mirrors, I still like to look through the back of the car at what is happening behind me. Yep I know vans and those with a great big dog will claim they don't use 'em to see out.
I think someone said you can press a button to have the reversing camera turned on whilst you are going forward at 70.01mph but then you can't wipe the camera from inside the car and as it is low down I'd be concerned road spray will mask its view at bit ( compared with walking speed when you are parking )

I think it's another case of marketing being allowed to dictate the look vs practicality.
I could get a bit trouble-making and say I'll bet marketing + top top management never drove concept versions in the rain.

And then when someone tried to put roof ridges on to cause the airflow to wipe the screen, it made too much noise or got voted down for some other reason.

Reactions: Tooks
1 - 20 of 29 Posts