Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think someone said you can press a button to have the reversing camera turned on whilst you are going forward at 70.01mph but then you can't wipe the camera from inside the car and as it is low down I'd be concerned road spray will mask its view at bit ( compared with walking speed when you are parking )
I've been driving a Tesla for 4.5 years with no rear wiper. I appreciate it isn't a near vertical hatchback, but I've not found it an issue. I also drove a mid-engined sports car for a while that had no rear window and got quite used to just using the 2 side mirrors.

I used to be able to run the reverse camera while driving but that function got removed from a software update a couple of years ago. I have to say the view from the rear camera doesn't tend to get obscured by crap off the road, althhugh I expected it would.

Would I prefer to have a rear wiper on the Ioniq I've ordered? Probably. But I really do think you'll simply get used to it and that the reverse camera will suffice if you really can't cope without a clear view through the rear window. I think if the lack of rear wiper is a deal breaker for someone they don't want the car enough!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Has anyone tried Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass treatment or similar hydrophobic glass treatment or Aquapel? I have this on my i3 windscreen and it will clear at 30mph. My just make the glass slippy enough to easily self clear.

·
Registered
293 Posts
So the Ioniq 5 has no rear wiper, would it be better with one "Yes" but it hasn't so why worry about it work round it, none of my previous performance cars had rear wipers either.

Use Rain x or similar and your wing mirrors. Don't forget the option of using the very good camera system. If I'm on a trip, if I stop I wipe and clean all the windows anyway.

Guess it doesn't bother me as I drove different work vans for over 30 years, none of them had a rear window (bizarrely quite a few had rear view mirrors ? ). And like BobM said "I think if the lack of rear wiper is a deal breaker for someone they don't want the car enough! "

·
Registered
377 Posts
Did this actual test today in my Ioniq 5 as pouring with rain here in South Wales today.
And no surprise at all, airflow does not seem to clear the rear windscreen. Tried at 50,60 & 70mph on the motorway. Even tried the de-mister but that took a while and started to work but not that effective.
I have previous with the so called “it’ll clear with aerodynamics” BS as we ran a Honda Civic Type R FN2 (the wedge shaped one from 3 generations ago) and they said the same with that car.Didn’t work either.

BUT….the Ioniq has a saving grace. The rear camera activates via a button on the dash and that seemed to stay surprisingly clear and remained colourful and pin sharp! Better view than looking out the rear window on a motorway!
If the engineers said this to begin with “no wiper but you can use the rear view camera instead” then fine, but the “airflow” explanation is total garbage. Unless you cruise may be at 100mph+! Will try and post a video up on YT soon.

When the Hazard Flashers are operating do you get both sides viewed in the Left and Right Circles, in the Instrument Panel, at the same time or not at all?

Thank you for the various videos about your Car on You Tube.

·
Registered
Ioniq Project 45, e-Niro4+
2,771 Posts
We live about 300 yards along a dusty unmade road, and after a day of ownership and 4 journeys along it at around 20 mph I noticed that the back window is covered in a thick layer of dust. Obviously a vortex being created by the rear of the car helped by the vented roof spoiler. I think the practicality of a rear wash wipe has been sacrificed for aesthetics .... or to save production costs. :(

·
Zoe Devotee
9,343 Posts
I'd be surprised if this isn't an issue in reality. I mean it rains a lot in UK, ok not this last few months but generally its peeing down. Rural roads usually mean your rear windscreen is filthy within a mile so you need a rear wash/wipe.

Meanwhile folk absolutely lose their sh*t over an EV without front foglights in a country where at best you get 1 or 2 foggy days a year.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was out in the rain over the weekend and all the spray has dried to a semi-opaque haze on the back screen now.

I noticed when I was reversing earlier even the camera lens had a few bits of muck dried on it. I’ve wiped that off with my finger and I’m due to give the car its first wash tomorrow, but none of this is going to be ideal come the winter.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,343 Posts
I was out in the rain over the weekend and all the spray has dried to a semi-opaque haze on the back screen now.

I noticed when I was reversing earlier even the camera lens had a few bits of muck dried on it. I’ve wiped that off with my finger and I’m due to give the car its first wash tomorrow, but none of this is going to be ideal come the winter.
That film on the rear window now will seem like a clear screen come winter. Couple of miles on wet salted roads and the rear window won't even be see through anymore.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts