Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Ioniq 5 AWD with tech and eco pack on order in Lucid Blue with the grey interior. Ended up with an AWD as it was due in Dec and it was the only one with the colour and grey interior. However, have been concerned about the efficiency and hence range of the Ioniq 5 as posted here (and this applies to the RWD versions as well.) The I5 claims a range of 280/267 (RWD/AWD) and the EV6 S Line claims 313/300. However, when I looked on the EV6 forum the efficiency level achieved by the EV 6 appear worse than those of the I5 which would make those numbers much closer. Anyone got experience of both cars?

P.S. The EV6 DOES have pop out handles!!

·
Registered
821 Posts
I think switching to save money on a bit less kWh used or a little extra range probably makes little sense. Charge a bit more and spend a bit more maybe?

If you thinking of switching on the basis of the door handles, then why not?

Sent from my M2002J9E using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The difference in range is enough so that our regular trip could be done without having to stop for a charge with the EV6 and it is less expensive. My concern is that although the EV6 claims a greater range its real life efficiency figures seem worse than the I5.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just seen an EV6 in the flesh and decided it is not for me. I would have gone for the GT S Line but they only have a black and white interior with suede seats. I think the suede (and the white) will be a pain to keep clean. Overall, not in love with the looks.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
Kia Optima SW PHEV
43 Posts
I wanted an EV6 to replace my Optima PHEV but the numbers just wouldn't work out. I couldn't even get the RWD GT Line in budget on biz contract hire, yet I could get the Ioniq 5 in AWD Ultimate with tech pack, so I did. It's amazing how far apart the cars are on lease pricing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
All I can say is that I have the Ioniq 5 P45 and quite simply it's the best car I have ever owned. I have owned 3 Mercedes and my last car was a Volvo XC40 (Europen Car of the Year in 2018 I think). They were all good cars but the Ioniq 5 is in a different technological league. Its quiet and smooth and an absolute delight to drive. Its also very spacious inside with great boot space. I've had the car for a month now and I'm getting around 3 miles per kWh and for me charging on off-peak electricity that works out about 3 pence per mile. For an EV of this size I'm quite happy with that. The Volvo (diesel) was about 18p per mile.

I suspect the Kia EV6 is a good car too. Reviews suggest that the ride is somewhat firmer than the Ioniq5 but I can't verify that. Maybe a slightly sportier ride that some people may prefer. Also to get the same spec as the P45 in the EV6 I would have had to spend more.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I saw both cars at the Electrify Expo in Austin recently. Was leaning EV6, but I cracked my head properly trying to get into the backseat, and I'm not a tall man. That did it for me. For the Ionic, its always an existential question: "Do I like how it looks?" Really baffles me. And they wouldn't let people sit inside, which was a shame, but it looked to be a solid, if not spectacular interior.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Have driven both of them now and I personally like I5 better as softer ride (but EV6 had 20" tyres while, I think, I5 had 19" so that could also make the difference).
One thing that bothered me about EV6 was the rear seat; they are very low and even thought there is plenty space at back those seats are too low for me.
Also the space under the the front seat is very tight (not sure if front seat can be lifted and at what position it was).
I prefer the look of the front dashboard in EV6 somehow the whitish dashboard in I5 doesn't feel right for me.

Both cars are really great in over all and it really seems to come down to "cosmetics/design" preferences for us.

The dilemma is that I like I5 more and wife likes EV6... so I guess the question is who will compromise :p

·
Registered
BMW i3
2,190 Posts
The dilemma is that I like I5 more and wife likes EV6... so I guess the question is how soon will l compromise :p
FTFY

• Haha
Reactions: RoyOb and Jimbo

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
EV6 looks as though it should have far better aerodynamics than the I5. I'd love to see a close comparison of the 2 at motorway speeds!

Reactions: MikeS

·
Registered
363 Posts
EV6 in red every day of the week for me. Bigger battery, slightly better efficiency, arguably better warranty for most people, and I (marginally) prefer the looks. Red is just an unusual colour and Tesla owners think it’s premium apparently.

I think the Ioniq 5’s single biggest issue is that it didn’t live up to peoples expectations. People looked at the Kona BEV and said 74kWh battery will give 300 miles real-world range and when it came out that it was only 250-270 real-world miles it didn’t meet those critical expectations. So it’s sort of a disappointment and then everyone says what a huge car it is. It’s not. It’s just bigger than it looked in photographs. Again though, not meeting an expectation.

And the pricing - yes, it’s priced against Tesla’s but you can get a discount on a Hyundai. You won’t get a discount on a Tesla.

The fact those expectations were unrealistic were unrealistic is pretty irrelevant. They existed so they were real for the people who had them.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
EV6 in red every day of the week for me. Bigger battery, slightly better efficiency, arguably better warranty for most people, and I (marginally) prefer the looks. Red is just an unusual colour and Tesla owners think it’s premium apparently.

I think the Ioniq 5’s single biggest issue is that it didn’t live up to peoples expectations. People looked at the Kona BEV and said 74kWh battery will give 300 miles real-world range and when it came out that it was only 250-270 real-world miles it didn’t meet those critical expectations. So it’s sort of a disappointment and then everyone says what a huge car it is. It’s not. It’s just bigger than it looked in photographs. Again though, not meeting an expectation.

And the pricing - yes, it’s priced against Tesla’s but you can get a discount on a Hyundai. You won’t get a discount on a Tesla.

The fact those expectations were unrealistic were unrealistic is pretty irrelevant. They existed so they were real for the people who had them.
Figures I have seen for the EV6 are worse than the I5 so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
EV6 in red every day of the week for me. Bigger battery, slightly better efficiency, arguably better warranty for most people, and I (marginally) prefer the looks.
Bear in mind that Ioniq 5s ordered now probably won't be manufactured until at least February, by which time according to reports they will be made with the 77kWh battery (same as the EV6).

·
Registered
363 Posts
Bear in mind that Ioniq 5s ordered now probably won't be manufactured until at least February, by which time according to reports they will be made with the 77kWh battery (same as the EV6).
So that’ll just be the efficiency and looks that swing it then. Even the fact that you can get it in red is a massive bonus. Who picked the colours for the Ioniq 5?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In the end the way you drive will have far more impact on the car’s efficiency than anything else.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts