Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Ioniq 5 or EV6?

11K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  Trevor Larkum 
#1 ·
I have an Ioniq 5 AWD with tech and eco pack on order in Lucid Blue with the grey interior. Ended up with an AWD as it was due in Dec and it was the only one with the colour and grey interior. However, have been concerned about the efficiency and hence range of the Ioniq 5 as posted here (and this applies to the RWD versions as well.) The I5 claims a range of 280/267 (RWD/AWD) and the EV6 S Line claims 313/300. However, when I looked on the EV6 forum the efficiency level achieved by the EV 6 appear worse than those of the I5 which would make those numbers much closer. Anyone got experience of both cars?

P.S. The EV6 DOES have pop out handles!!

#3 ·
The difference in range is enough so that our regular trip could be done without having to stop for a charge with the EV6 and it is less expensive. My concern is that although the EV6 claims a greater range its real life efficiency figures seem worse than the I5.

#4 ·
Just seen an EV6 in the flesh and decided it is not for me. I would have gone for the GT S Line but they only have a black and white interior with suede seats. I think the suede (and the white) will be a pain to keep clean. Overall, not in love with the looks.

Reactions: cah197
#7 ·
All I can say is that I have the Ioniq 5 P45 and quite simply it's the best car I have ever owned. I have owned 3 Mercedes and my last car was a Volvo XC40 (Europen Car of the Year in 2018 I think). They were all good cars but the Ioniq 5 is in a different technological league. Its quiet and smooth and an absolute delight to drive. Its also very spacious inside with great boot space. I've had the car for a month now and I'm getting around 3 miles per kWh and for me charging on off-peak electricity that works out about 3 pence per mile. For an EV of this size I'm quite happy with that. The Volvo (diesel) was about 18p per mile.

I suspect the Kia EV6 is a good car too. Reviews suggest that the ride is somewhat firmer than the Ioniq5 but I can't verify that. Maybe a slightly sportier ride that some people may prefer. Also to get the same spec as the P45 in the EV6 I would have had to spend more.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

#9 ·
I saw both cars at the Electrify Expo in Austin recently. Was leaning EV6, but I cracked my head properly trying to get into the backseat, and I'm not a tall man. That did it for me. For the Ionic, its always an existential question: "Do I like how it looks?" Really baffles me. And they wouldn't let people sit inside, which was a shame, but it looked to be a solid, if not spectacular interior.

#10 ·
Have driven both of them now and I personally like I5 better as softer ride (but EV6 had 20" tyres while, I think, I5 had 19" so that could also make the difference).
One thing that bothered me about EV6 was the rear seat; they are very low and even thought there is plenty space at back those seats are too low for me.
Also the space under the the front seat is very tight (not sure if front seat can be lifted and at what position it was).
I prefer the look of the front dashboard in EV6 somehow the whitish dashboard in I5 doesn't feel right for me.

Both cars are really great in over all and it really seems to come down to "cosmetics/design" preferences for us.

The dilemma is that I like I5 more and wife likes EV6... so I guess the question is who will compromise :p

#11 ·
The dilemma is that I like I5 more and wife likes EV6... so I guess the question is how soon will l compromise :p
FTFY

#15 ·
EV6 in red every day of the week for me. Bigger battery, slightly better efficiency, arguably better warranty for most people, and I (marginally) prefer the looks. Red is just an unusual colour and Tesla owners think it’s premium apparently.

I think the Ioniq 5’s single biggest issue is that it didn’t live up to peoples expectations. People looked at the Kona BEV and said 74kWh battery will give 300 miles real-world range and when it came out that it was only 250-270 real-world miles it didn’t meet those critical expectations. So it’s sort of a disappointment and then everyone says what a huge car it is. It’s not. It’s just bigger than it looked in photographs. Again though, not meeting an expectation.

And the pricing - yes, it’s priced against Tesla’s but you can get a discount on a Hyundai. You won’t get a discount on a Tesla.

The fact those expectations were unrealistic were unrealistic is pretty irrelevant. They existed so they were real for the people who had them.

#16 ·
EV6 in red every day of the week for me. Bigger battery, slightly better efficiency, arguably better warranty for most people, and I (marginally) prefer the looks. Red is just an unusual colour and Tesla owners think it’s premium apparently.

I think the Ioniq 5’s single biggest issue is that it didn’t live up to peoples expectations. People looked at the Kona BEV and said 74kWh battery will give 300 miles real-world range and when it came out that it was only 250-270 real-world miles it didn’t meet those critical expectations. So it’s sort of a disappointment and then everyone says what a huge car it is. It’s not. It’s just bigger than it looked in photographs. Again though, not meeting an expectation.

And the pricing - yes, it’s priced against Tesla’s but you can get a discount on a Hyundai. You won’t get a discount on a Tesla.

The fact those expectations were unrealistic were unrealistic is pretty irrelevant. They existed so they were real for the people who had them.
Figures I have seen for the EV6 are worse than the I5 so far.

#21 · (Edited)
True. But some of us in 28s & 38s were hoping for a real step-up in aerodynamic efficiency from the EV6 as compared to the brick-shaped I5. Some figures from ev-database.uk to consider:
Kona 39 range 155m so 4 m/kWh
Ioniq 38.4 range 197m so 5.1 m/kWh
So 27% range improvement going from brick to streamlined shape.

2WD gets better range than 4WD, so let's look at 2WD I5s:

I5 2WD 58 kWh range 195 miles so 3.4 m/kWh
I5 2WD 77.4 kWh range 240m so 3.1 m/kWh

Sadly this website doesn't have EV6 figures, I'm assuming these are all comparare-able stats I've quoted.
If Kona->Ioniq 38 can get 27% better range, I'd have liked to see a similar 25% improvement going from SUV to sleek-coupe shape. So I'd been hoping for a really decent range improvement when the EV6 appeared. Seems we don't have that.

I'll stay with my convenient-sized & highly efficient 38 until something the same convenient size & weight & shape comes along. Maybe when solid-state batteries appear we'll get the Ioniq 38 size & shape with 300 mile & 100 kW charging we're all yearning to have.

#29 ·
Since we don't have either here in the States yet, I haven't see one in the flesh. Based on appearances only, I think I prefer the Ioniq 5 over the EV6. But that could change once I see one for real. And I don't think we have complete pricing, specs and options here yet either.

#35 ·
Responding to the original question, Ioniq 5 or EV6, I test drove both for a day each and personally preferred the Ioniq 5, but its horses for courses as both are great cars.

On paper I preferred the looks of the EV6 as I thought it would age a bit better, but in the metal I was slightly disappointed. Its decent looking, but seemed a little more generic than the Ioniq 5 and I could see the influence of other cars in it. The Ioniq 5 however just blew me away with the styling and couldn't be mistaken for anything else. Its a similar story inside as the EV6 is very smart, but again just a bit more generic. I like the feeling of space in the Ioniq 5 and Hyundai seemed to have better utilised the fact that the cars are built on a bespoke EV platform and thus provide less packaging constraints than an ICE car.

To drive, I couldn't really split them. Both felt very similar, but with the Ioniq 5 being marginally more comfortable but the EV6 slightly sportier. Neither edged ahead of the other enough for it to swing the decision. I wouldn't be disappointed with either!

Range wise, I can't remember the exact miles per KW numbers but again both were in the same ballpark on the same kind of routes (town/A road/motorway). Again, not enough in it to swing a decision.

Finally, the thing that made me look at both was the fast charging and the future proofing that this gives. The ID.3 I had ordered previously could only charge at speeds of up to 120kWh (I had the Tour on order with the 77kWh battery). The EV6 and Ioniq 5 can charge at significantly higher speeds than this on the public network, so although the VW had a theoretical range of 330+ miles, I'd happily trade some of that for charging speed when out on a long journey that requires a charge stop. I have a home charger as I suspect most EV owners at the moment do, so the reality is that 99% of my journeys will easily be below 200 miles, in which case virtually all of my charging will be done overnight at home. In my honest opinion, we do not need electric cars with better range, but we need improved public infrastructure (which companies like Gridserve are giving us).

Ultimately, I took the Ioniq 5 based on my preference for its looks both inside and out, but both cars are excellent. I wouldn't be disappointed with either on Christmas day!

#37 ·
There is no right or wrong to this, but maybe we’re missing the point slightly.

One of the things I love about having an EV is the freedom it gives to travel without the feeling that at some point I’ll need to stick £60 of petrol in it. So in my mind, efficiency is far less important than an ICE car. Especially as public chargers become even more commonplace and reliable and my first trip to Gridserve Braintree the other day, filled me with confidence.

personally, I’m happy to sacrifice some range for the looks of the Ioniq 5 over a Kona or Ioniq. Also, don’t forget the Ioniq 5 comparatively huge!

#38 ·
I agree with the proviso that actually you often pay the same as ICE fuel process, just more often. Anything over 45p/kW is nearly the same as putting diesel in a modern car (about 12p/mile). And as electricity gets more and more expensive I think we'll soon want that efficiency back.

#39 ·
I get your point, but I never bought my previous ICE cars solely based on efficiency, so I wouldn’t with an EV. I chose the Ioniq 5 for the nearly 300 mile range in the knowledge that realistically I’d be looking at 240ish. Based on my week with this car, this seems more than reasonable.
My round trip to Gridserve or 140 miles cost me £1.60 using my home electric on the way down. I put £6 electric in and this more than got me home. Even if I got home on zero miles, this would only have cost me £7.60 which is considerably less than my petrol car would have cost me.
Absolutely each to their own though, so I understand some people will need the efficiency to be better. I guess mpg significantly fluctuates between ICE cars too with an SUV generally being less efficient.

#40 ·
I agree - for me there are two benefits to the efficiency - less cost in terms of kW and more driving time vs. charging time. For everyone there will be a tipping point and I also agree that for you get with an EV6 or Ioniq 5 the significant reduction in efficiency, while it is undoubtedly disappointing, it is tolerable.

#41 ·
Sorry guys but you're not supposed to agree with each other and be civil! What's gone wrong with this forum?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.