Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there's a video on youtube of a software update to the ionic 5 but it appears to be north america only , two of the major new features are full screen maps for android auto and an automatic day/night cycle for the light/dark mode (y)

But i can't find any information for a europe/uk release date anywhere , anybody else seen this or have nay news ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So there's a video on youtube of a software update to the ionic 5 but it appears to be north america only , two of the major new features are full screen maps for android auto and an automatic day/night cycle for the light/dark mode (y)

But i can't find any information for a europe/uk release date anywhere , anybody else seen this or have nay news ?
I would rather get the update to pre condition the batteries for charging, than full screen Android Auto 🙈

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
1,110 Posts
I am confused as hell these days about whether it is Kia / Hyundai's problem that AA doesn't render wide screen or Google's. This upgrade suggests it is a problem Kia / Hyundai can solve, but I have also seen stories of a new version of AA due this summer that intelligently renders correctly across the full screen regardless of the screen proportions (normal, widescreen, portrait). So which update is necessary?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am confused as hell these days about whether it is Kia / Hyundai's problem that AA doesn't render wide screen or Google's. This upgrade suggests it is a problem Kia / Hyundai can solve, but I have also seen stories of a new version of AA due this summer that intelligently renders correctly across the full screen regardless of the screen proportions (normal, widescreen, portrait). So which update is necessary?
Currently android auto can support normal screen or widescreen. Essentially if you have a widescreen monitor in your car then the screen is exactly the same but it just fills the panel. However, this needs to be enabled by the car manufacturer otherwise i will render in split screen mode.

What you're seeing of the new android auto is an ability for android auto to adapt depending on the size of the screen, so the features will change depending on how much screen estate is available. This is coming later in the summer.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
1,110 Posts
Currently android auto can support normal screen or widescreen. Essentially if you have a widescreen monitor in your car then the screen is exactly the same but it just fills the panel. However, this needs to be enabled by the car manufacturer otherwise i will render in split screen mode.

What you're seeing of the new android auto is an ability for android auto to adapt depending on the size of the screen, so the features will change depending on how much screen estate is available. This is coming later in the summer.
Thanks. So, what you're saying is that AA will render stuff in different places on screen to accommodate whether it is standard size, widescreen or portrait. But it still needs the Kia / Hyundai upgrade otherwise the car will continue to tell AA the screen is standard size not widescreen and it will render accordingly.

I was thinking that the AA update would mean it can see for itself that the screen is widescreen, making any change from Kia / Hyundai unnecessary. But this is not correct?

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,980 Posts
Please be aware that although the download page says May 2022

The File being served is still the Feb update, so looks like they have updated the info but not put the new file up for download yet!

And to be honest from what they are showing in the changes, Really is this the best they could do after 6 months with what everyone has been asking for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Please be aware that although the download page says May 2022

The File being served is still the Feb update, so looks like they have updated the info but not put the new file up for download yet!
Ah really! How can we see this from the navigation updater? Currently download in progress but it doesn't say anywhere what is actually downloading...!

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,980 Posts
Ah really! How can we see this from the navigation updater? Currently download in progress but it doesn't say anywhere what is actually downloading...!
if you examine the Ver file with a text editor the first line shows the file info and date

In this case 220211

Black Font Screenshot Software Multimedia

1 - 20 of 49 Posts