Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So like many on here , I am on the P45 waiting list, which is getting a little tiresome it must be said.
Was informed by my local dealership that they now have a UK RHD 72.6 kWh Premium model, REAR wheel drive available to test drive. Thought I would sample it as the Leatherhead P45 day was not a lot of use as was such a limited test drive.

Anyway, grey model. 19” wheels. Fabric interior. Still comfortable. Noted straight away that indicated efficiency of just 3.2mi/kWh on dash display. Dealer says their Kona averages 4.2-4.5 mi/kWh. He had driven it already and felt it was a “jack of all trades” and master of none type of car. Went out alone. 1 hour test drive. 28 miles covered. 20 degC. Overcast but humid feeling. Did not rain. Not windy. Pretty slow overall due to traffic. But managed 1 junction of the M4 motorway and back again.

This is a VERY quiet car. Probably the quietest car I have driven. A definite positive and a definite Kona weakness, when compared. Lovely smooth ride.
It is big but I took it down some very narrow country lanes and although wide and had slow oncoming traffic squeezing past, it was easy to place on the road. Totally numb steering. And the infernal lane assist or whatever it was tugging the steering wheel, this way and that ,really got on my nerves but was not sure how to turn it off! Just seemed dangerous and always seemed to want to pull me in to the kerb. No HUD in this model.
This car still feels too heavy. So in Sport Mode or even Normal, yes it accelerates but no punch in the back like my recently departed i3. Only mildly brisk acceleration. Fast enough Though.
Great visibility all round as plenty of glass. High set seat position.
Quiet on the motorway also. Got the efficiency reading up to 3.5 mi/kWh on my return to dealership but stated trip info on dash display summary after you turn the car off was 4.0 mi/kWh. But mostly a very slow drive apart from the motorway schlep.
I still think the boot is not that usefully large. Yes with the seats folded it has a huge capacity but I think you will have to fold the seats forward A LOT when carrying or transporting things as it is so SHALLOW and the angle of the rear boot door so acute that carrying anything even remotely large will need the seats folded flat.
No funny hump under the rear boot floor also like the P45 so has some proper extra space there and the dealer did take out the boot floor which gives a bit more depth to the boot.
This model being a RWD had a proper FRUNK. Decent size and relatively deep. Bit bigger than the i3. The one on the P45 is pathetic as we know as has the front motor.
But it was all a bit BORING. Just not a fun car to drive. Again, just an A to B car. But it’s refinement is a definite plus. Cabin a nice place to be overall.
P45 more powerful and more toys but boy am I worried about it’s efficiency and also it’s refinement. 20“ wheels will make it a touch worse on both counts. And as we know it’s WLTP is the lowest of the lot. Still having increasing thoughts about cancelling.
Will it have more “pep” than the RWD. It should do, as more powerful but range still a bit pathetic and will get far worse if you enjoy that performance. A bit pissed that Kia is getting the full 77 kWh battery. Will the P45 make the 185.5 mile journey to London in the winter without stopping? At 67-70mph? I doubt it. Yes it has the fast charging to compensate but not that many of those around and may be occupied etc. Who wants to keep on stopping for a charge? It falls short here against a Tesla.
Another worry is “first adopters” issues. Niggles, software updates, general updates and fixes etc. if you want a quiet life NEVER buy a brand new to market model of any gadget or car, as subsequent versions are always better and improved upon. This is the first car I have ever bought that I am breaking the golden rule on as it promised so much….
Will have a serious think. Will be plenty of people who will happily step in and take my P45 slot but seriously wondering if we are paying almost the most but it will not be the best model to own?
Dealer had no idea about servicing costs either.
MM

·
Registered
151 Posts
Many thanks for this mini review. I have been contemplating either a Q4 SPortback, Ioniq 5, or a BMW iX3 as I cen get them all for the same price though work.

The Q4 40 I tested was a very nice car and good quality but very underwhelming performance. Still to check out the Ioniq 5 and the iX3

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Very similar thoughts to my own. How much do I value the extra space & comfort of the I5 over the M3P? 🤔

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very similar thoughts to my own. How much do I value the extra space & comfort of the I5 over the M3P? 🤔
Well the Tesla M3 LR is actually the more fair comparison. As price almost identical. I loved the LR & P models but the LR is the better overall model. It ticks all the boxes and is a much better drivers car BUT saloon so restrictive boot AND oh so common. And just a touch TOO minimalist The odd extra button or windscreen lever wouldn’t have been an issue. If it had an HUD I would have ordered one a while ago. Has become the Ford Fiesta of EVs (common sight around where I live) which is incredible as quite an expensive car. But then it is THE best EV on sale with the best charging network.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Well the Tesla M3 LR is actually the more fair comparison. As price almost identical. I loved the LR & P models but the LR is the better overall model. It ticks all the boxes and is a much better drivers car BUT saloon so restrictive boot AND oh so common. And just a touch TOO minimalist The odd extra button or windscreen lever wouldn’t have been an issue. If it had an HUD I would have ordered one a while ago. Has become the Ford Fiesta of EVs (common sight around where I live) which is incredible as quite an expensive car. But then it is THE best EV on sale with the best charging network.
Maybe the LR a better comparison, but I would be selling the M3P to get an Ioniq 5 😀

At least the range is similar. 200 mile round trip today, started at 90% and needed a charge to get home. Looked at non-SC options - all busy except a pair of old Ecotricity units - didn't have much time to muck about.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I totally agree.
The P45 kinda feels like a swing and a miss at a limited edition.
I feel like the RWD ultimate is the better mix but that costs more than the P45 iirc

·
Registered
798 Posts
I think the trend is to have the lane assist so you can't turn it off - in order to get the NCAP scores.

Which for a system as bad as the Hyundai's, is a very bad state of affairs.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate
2,620 Posts
I think the trend is to have the lane assist so you can't turn it off - in order to get the NCAP scores.

Which for a system as bad as the Hyundai's, is a very bad state of affairs.
Its interesting it's not where the button to turn it off on their other EVs is on the Ioniq 5. They have moved it to the steering wheel so it's easier to turn off, which is better at least.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its interesting it's not where the button to turn it off on their other EVs is on the Ioniq 5. They have moved it to the steering wheel so it's easier to turn off, which is better at least.
Well if it is the button with a steering wheel symbol between 2 vertical lines, I kept pressing it. Light would turn on or off on drivers display but did not seem to make any difference! Or it kept coming on automatically after turning it off? Either way it felt dangerous as you don’t feel in control of a 2+ tonne car. And it just feels annoying feeling the steering wheel “tug” at you constantly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well if it is the button with a steering wheel symbol between 2 vertical lines, I kept pressing it. Light would turn on or off on drivers display but did not seem to make any difference! Or it kept coming on automatically after turning it off? Either way it felt dangerous as you don’t feel in control of a 2+ tonne car. And it just feels annoying feeling the steering wheel “tug” at you constantly.
I've done two test drives in the vehicle, and I also didn't manage to completely disable LKA. It seems like the button on the steering wheel only disables LFA, and that LKA always is active.
It is one of the concerns I had before ordering the car, but I since realized that we probably need to get used to it sooner or later. I recon that it would always enabled on more and more cars from now on.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I've done two test drives in the vehicle, and I also didn't manage to completely disable LKA. It seems like the button on the steering wheel only disables LFA, and that LKA always is active.
It is one of the concerns I had before ordering the car, but I since realized that we probably need to get used to it sooner or later. I recon that it would always enabled on more and more cars from now on.
This would put me off buying the car completely. LKA is mildly annoying most of the time and out right dangerous some of the time.

These systems have to correctly work all of the time if there is no option to switch off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After a couple of weeks with the ID.3 & ID.4 I developed a routine of turning lane assist off as soon as I got in. Had a short test drive in ioniq 5 and it was the first thing I figured out! A bit buried in the menus but there’s a button by climate/nav controls to save favourites so hopefully a shortcut could be put there.

V quick review- same as most: amazing interior, passengers loved space, light, practicality, comfort, noise. Great screens, controls, buttons, tech. Drive… good I think. Wasn’t as big as I’d feared, does have some power (2WD premium), iPedal was great, felt easy to handle, suspension comfy but wavy (might get seasick) but something a bit off… not a car person but it was maybe a bit unresponsive or disconnected? Id3 felt more lively. Could be weight, could be steering, could be not trying sport mode. Just a little less enjoyable to drive than VW’s, e-niro & tesla I’ve tried.

Probably happy with the compromise overall though. Getting a lot for minor gripes I’ll forget about after a couple weeks. Considering the AWD option now. All the early reviews loved the drive & speed, but the recent ones from joe public 2WD test drives have been less enthusiastic so wondering if that’s the difference.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
When I test drove the LHD P45, LKA kept pulling the car back to the kerb, whereas this didn't happen at all with the RHD RWD car that I tested recently. I thought this was just because I am not used to driving a LHD car in the UK and was giving the kerb too much clearance.

TBH, the P45 actually concerned me, because quite often you are out of lane for a reason (pothole, cyclist, small animal) and the last thing you want is for the car to tug you into the thing you are trying to avoid. Of course, if the manufacturer took liability for any mistakes then less of an issue, but they don't. Plus, how to prove it..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Extract from the UK manual.

For Europe, Australia, Russia
Whenever the vehicle is turned on, Lane Keeping Assist will always turn on. The grey indicator light will illuminate on the cluster. When Lane Keeping Assist is on, press and hold the Lane Driving Assist button to turn off the function.

Information
When the Lane Driving Assist button is pressed shortly, Lane Following Assist will turn on and off.
When Lane Keeping Assist is turned off with the Lane Driving Assist button, the Lane Safety setting also changes to 'Off'.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have a Kia at the moment with lane assist and it has NEVER felt dangerous. People throwing words out like that seems dangerous. It’s a safety system to assist you. Maybe the limp wrists you have are dangerous but a car lightly turning the wheel to keep you in lane is very easily overpowered by the smallest of effort from the driver if you need not be kept in lane.
It baffles me the posts I see about the technologies in cars and how everyone wants to disable them while labelling them as dangerous. These are EVs with the latest and greatest features. You have to roll with it or stick to a 2015 LEAF.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts