Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Which do you prefer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been invited to place a pre-order for the EV6. Didn't know much about it so did a bit of digging. Appears that the EV6 is built on the same platform as the Ioniq 5 and the cars share many features, even if they look pretty different. Information is still pretty scarce and this is the best comparison I've found to date.

Since they are designed as EVs from the ground up I'm expecting both vehicles to be significantly better than the Niro and Kona, which will make them very good indeed.

These look like the sort of car I'd be interested in when I next change. Would need more details and pictures\video of actual cars but think I'm leaning towards the EV6.

Which would you buy and why?

·
Registered
2020 Polestar 2
257 Posts
Ioniq 5 for me, I need the higher roofline. The Ioniq 5 body with the EV6 dashboard would work nicely.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ioniq 5 for but the looks of the EV6 have grown on me. However I much prefer the almost front cabin area walk through capability of the Ioniq with its flat floor and ability to push the central armrest/storage area backwards. Means you can enter the car from any side and still quite comfortably get in the drivers seat. The i3 is similar in that regards and can come in handy.
The EV6 cabin is more conventional in comparison-although still very nicely designed.

Did notice the video states OTA capability ready for 2023 MY, which is a shame.

And I love a large glass roof as brightens the cabin. Will be disappointed if they only offer the solar roof on the initial "45" batch. With typical UK weather, the solar roof won't offer much solar generation I suspect to power the car or its systems, whereas the pano roof brightens up the cabin every day.And helps to warm the car even on winter but bright days. Can use less heating to warm the cabin which improves range.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nearly all cars now have a pano roof. None have a solar one! I do like the vast glass in my M3 but never look up out of it as a passenger. It’s lighter inside of course.

·
Journeyman Human
516 Posts
Neither are the style of car I personally want, but they both look great. I think the interior of the Kia is cooler and more cutting edge.

The 5 is so retro, looks just like a huge version of an old school late 80's hatchback! I see Mk1\2 Golf, Fiat Strada, Skoda Favorit, Mk1 Astra, Talbot Horizon. To the old duffers like me it'll be like reliving our youth, but much better! I wonder if the rest of Hyundai models are going to take on a more angular style going forward?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a reservation on a Ioniq 5. It reminds me of the cabin openness of the original Renault Espace. The Kia looks a lot more aggressive from the front. It also seems very dark inside with the black roof lining.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ioniq 5 for but the looks of the EV6 have grown on me. However I much prefer the almost front cabin area walk through capability of the Ioniq with its flat floor and ability to push the central armrest/storage area backwards. Means you can enter the car from any side and still quite comfortably get in the drivers seat. The i3 is similar in that regards and can come in handy.
The EV6 cabin is more conventional in comparison-although still very nicely designed.

Did notice the video states OTA capability ready for 2023 MY, which is a shame.

And I love a large glass roof as brightens the cabin. Will be disappointed if they only offer the solar roof on the initial "45" batch. With typical UK weather, the solar roof won't offer much solar generation I suspect to power the car or its systems, whereas the pano roof brightens up the cabin every day.And helps to warm the car even on winter but bright days. Can use less heating to warm the cabin which improves range.

Not having OTA until 2023 would be massively disappointing.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The way I read that was the self driving systems would be upgraded to level 3 via OTA in 2023, not that it's wouldn't have OTA until then.
I have an email from a VIP person saying it will get OTA updates too.

The Ioniq 6 looks a heck of a lot like a Porsche

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does anyone consider the Nissan Ariya a competitor to the Ioniq 5 and the Kia EV6? . There is no detail on pricing for the Ariya as yet, and it's range is slightly less, but it is a new "built from the ground up" EV from the original EV pioneer (Nissan)?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah,
Ariya, id4, ev6, ioniq5, model Y are all in the same sort of bracket I think
Add the Ford Mach-E, Skoda Enyaq and (in some markets) the Marvel R, and this is starting to look like a pretty congested segment. Price will be crucial of course but Kia and Hyundai are in a strong position based upon their design, warranty and reputation of Niro and Kona.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think the EV6 will age badly whereas the Ioniq 5 will be a classic. It's just a very timeless sort of shape.

I'm going to wait for the Ioniq 5 N in 2022 (probably) which will be the same high-power dual motor as the EV6 GT.

While I like the EV6 interior a lot, it's very ICE in it's layout and doesn't really exploit the benefits of the e-GMP platform like the Ioniq 5 does.

I just prefer the Ioniq 5 but I want the FAST one. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree entirely with @wja96. I feel the EV6 is over styled and will not age well. Although I am not so keen on the slash lines on the Ioniq 5 I love it's slightly retro looks. They have my deposit for a Project 45.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I feel the EV6 is over styled and will not age well
says the man with what looks like a lamborghini countach as an avatar :confused:.

Serious point though that you think that something unashamedly retro will age better than something more modern looking (that will presumably seem retro a decade or two down the line).

·
Registered
258 Posts
says the man with what looks like a lamborghini countach as an avatar :confused:.

Serious point though that you think that something unashamedly retro will age better than something more modern looking (that will presumably seem retro a decade or two down the line).
I think the Countach is a brilliant example of an outlandishly futuristic design that hasn’t aged well. The Muira, on the other hand still looks incredible.

And yes, I think the fundamental shape of the Ioniq (like the Lancia Delta it resembles) is classic and will stand the test of time. The EV6, in my opinion, is a blob with whooshes and lines everywhere and it’ll look just as 20’s as the Countach looks ‘70s today.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I owned it for twelve years but didn't buy it for it's looks. It was an LP400s with a one-off body (prototype for the US market). I bought it because it was hilarious to drive.

A car that has looks that will stand the test of time is my Elan, understated, effective (and tiny beside a Kona

The Miura however was nowhere near as forgiving or fast

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting. You know the Ioniq draws its inspiration from the Pony?

If you like angular retro styling there is the Lamborghini Countach or Aston Martin Lagonda or Lotus Esprit for inspiration.

Many people might describe the Miura, or DB9 or Elan as prettier and more timeless though. And they are curvy......

...... like the EV6

Just saying

1 - 20 of 21 Posts