Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the wisdom of these forums, I've gleaned the following information:

1. The Ioniq battery is actually 32kWh, but charging is restricted by the software to 28kWh
2. Generally, the best outcome for long term battery health is to keep it charged between 20% and 80% capacity where possible

Therefore, am I correct in saying that actually for the Ioniq that should be interpreted as between 23% and 92% (based on the displayed SOC)?

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
43 Posts
That maybe so, however a while ago I decided life's too short to worry about the detail :) I charge it up to suit the journey the following day, and now approaching 20k miles and 15 months old, it carries on giving me a range of 150 miles. It's charged up to 100% about 3 times a week, and perhaps 50% of the time we end up close to, or lower than 20% charge. The worst I have run it down to left me with 8 miles left. Can I come back to you in another 3-4 years? Oh hang on a minute you mentioned wisdom...that's me out...sorry!

·
Registered
779 Posts
From the wisdom of these forums, I've gleaned the following information:

1. The Ioniq battery is actually 32kWh, but charging is restricted by the software to 28kWh
2. Generally, the best outcome for long term battery health is to keep it charged between 20% and 80% capacity where possible

Therefore, am I correct in saying that actually for the Ioniq that should be interpreted as between 23% and 92% (based on the displayed SOC)?
I don't think you need to be as exact as that. A 100% charge on the dash is 95% on the BMS so if you wanted a true 80% then it's 85% on the dash. Generally staying in the middle, only using a full charge when you need it, works. Mine is 34 months old, no deterioration to range yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm certainly not worried as mine is also not showing any degradation after 34000 miles.

In the first year or so I was very casual about charging to 100% regularly, however this car is so efficient and awesome that I'm now thinking this is a keeper.

I want to look after it as best I can so stopping the charge at 85-90% is no problem for general use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts