Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from my sit in the Ioniq EV yesterday, I had a sit in the Hybrid version today.

The interior plastic seems as grey as the EV grille, which is a shame. I'd have liked it a good bit darker.

The weirdest thing was the foot brake lever on the left hand side. It looked like it would annoy the life out of me by getting in the way of moving my left foot. I have never seen such an odd contraption. It looked like something off a tractor. Why on earth could they not have used the nice lift switch one from the EV?

Any hybrid owners care to comment on how big a pain in the arse or not that weird pedal is?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I've never been in an Ioniq but the Nissan Leaf has a foot operated parking brake to the left of the brake pedal and you get used to it very quickly.

The one in the Leaf is higher off the floor and further to the left than the clutch pedal in a manual car so it doesn't get in the way and you don't accidentally catch it when moving your foot around.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
The Gen 1 Leafs had a switch handbrake which apparently cost £2000 to replace if it went wrong. Perhaps that's why Hyundai didn't opt for one of those!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have the ioniq hybrid and you get used to the foot brake within days. Just press it once when you start and once when you finish. I have no issues with it and I wear a size 13 shoe

·
Registered
545 Posts
These foot operated parking brakes have been the standard on American cars for years. You quickly get used to them, but I much prefer at first glance the hand operated motorised brake on the EV, that I am having.
I have personally owned Kia Sorrentos with them on and my current Prius has one also.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just spoke to a friend who has a Kia Niro with one and he said they were indeed a pain the arse as he keeps getting his trouser leg caught on it. :(

I can count on one hand the number of times I've used my hand brake this year. Unless I'm on a steep hill and don't want to put that much pressure on the transmission, I just leave it in park. I don't see the need for an ugly and intrusive extra pedal when an unobtrusive (and seldom-needed) hand brake would do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts