Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kona64
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I gave my new Kona64 to the garage to fix some things that should have been done at the PDI ....
They lent me a Ioniq BEV -- it was an interesting comparison

The Ioniq
  • felt more composed, slightly better ride
  • seemed to be better quality inside
  • in my view has a better central console layout, and bigscreen display setup
  • seemed more nippy in both eco + normal (didn't try sport mode t compare that)
  • a bit easier in the view out rear over the left shoulder
  • bit more spacious for the rear seat passengers?
The Kona
  • has a much better rear window view, the Ioniq dear o dear, and no rear wiper in the Ioniq
  • 64....... 'nuff said. Still surprised that battery is not in the UK Ioniq.
Also I got caught out by the petrol cap, I mean charge socket. Drove nose in first at home as usual, hit the cap release and realised the Ioniq has it on the rear nearside corner.

Purely due to the battery (and 77kW drinking ability) I'd like my Kona back please.
Very glad I had the chance to try it though.
Estate 64 Ioniq with a proper rear window would be a great car.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also the Kona, double blip of the key fob and you can open the charge flap --- seems the Ioniq you have to unlock the car reach in and press the fuel cap button.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Ioniq - class-leading 0.24 coefficient of drag
28kWh charges at up to 66kW with 5m/kWh, gives excellent rapid charging to move on quickly.
Air cooled battery, no complex software upgrades to disable the rapid charging.

Kona - 0.29

·
Registered
Kona64
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Was it the Ioniq 28 or Ioniq 38? How was the noise level at high speed compared to Kona?
It reckons 186 at 100% from the centre console guess meter recharge screens - so I think 38.
Being a 20reg sales car so would imagine the higher capacity.

Just overall more composed, and yes Quieter for sure--- I was wondering if it's the tyres but I think regardless it seems more refined and more pleasant to drive. I've been on commute motorways so speeds 40-60mph, rather than a good half hour at 70mph on an empty M6 or something.

The Ioniq rear screen tho - I really really don't like it, and I had a gen2 Prius for a year and hated that one too (at least the Prius had a wiper though)

The in-front-of-driver-dash, speedometer, I don't like that in any Ioniq mode, prefer the "normal" looking one in comfort mode in the Kona.

miles per kWh about the same but the demist/heater/wipers have been overtime in the Ioniq and I found this morning the Winter mode was ticked --- so prob the Ioniq is a tad better than the Kona, which given the cd values above sounds right --- 0.24 v 0.29 is quite a difference, which you'd expect hatchback vs SUV.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
you get used to rear view very quickly, but there is no denying it is annoying (its also possible to turn reversing camera on while driving forward at speed)
Build of Ioniq felt much nicer to me
Performance of Kona is much better, but the Ioniq is such a comfortable cruiser and still gets close to 200 miles despite the smaller battery.

They cant physically fit the larger battery into the Ioniq, despite being designed from the ground up to have a battery and ICE variants it is an older design than Kona and dates back to a time when larger batteries were still prohibitively expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts