Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I signed up for the Hyundai email and they contacted today, saying that they are taking bookings for test driving the Ioniq. yay!

The IONIQ Hybrid is powered by an advanced electric motor and
our latest 1.6 GDi petrol engine. And it promises an impressive
performance with low emissions every time.

Or choose the zero emission IONIQ Electric. You'll enjoy torque-rich
performance in an electric-only car that has a driving range of up to
174 miles on a single charge*.

There's also a video:

Nplima

·
Exciting Times Ahead
298 Posts
~This really looks like a nice car. Let us know how the range is on the model.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
It's got a 28kwh battery capacity so I'd expect it to be 100 mile range ie not that much more than the current Soul.

·
Vendor
1,140 Posts
Having driven one on Tuesday, I must say that I was getting 5.6m/kWh in the Ioniq on my rural test drive. Even the long term average from the demo car (which had been thrashed around by car salesmen all week) was showing as 4.6miles/kWh.

I'd say that 120 miles was achievable in the current weather. I can imagine 150 being possible in summer.

I like it. Sadly, we're not selling it until next year.
:-(

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
EPA (i.e. real world range) is 110 miles i.e. similar to 30kwh Leaf. The biggest issue for me is that it has CCS rapid charging which for which there are a lot less charge points in the UK compared to Chademo as used in the Leaf.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Having driven one on Tuesday, I must say that I was getting 5.6m/kWh in the Ioniq on my rural test drive. Even the long term average from the demo car (which had been thrashed around by car salesmen all week) was showing as 4.6miles/kWh.

I'd say that 120 miles was achievable in the current weather. I can imagine 150 being possible in summer.

I like it. Sadly, we're not selling it until next year.
:-(
So that would seem to put it on par with a 30kWh Leaf. I can't see it having a real world range of 174 miles, that sounds a bit too optimistic.

·
Vendor
1,140 Posts
The 30kWh LEAF has just 27.5kWh available (ish). The 28kWh Ioniq seems to have 28kWh available. With a more economical/efficient motor, multi-stage regen (0 - freewheel,1-like B mode on LEAF, 2 - stronger and puts on brake lights, 3 - very strong and can almost stop the car like moderate friction brakes), and better eco/normal/sport modes, I'd say that the range was more than the LEAF 30kWh.

I've driven my LEAF like an absolute saint today, and got 4.9m/kWh. In the ioniq, driven "normally", I got 5.6. That extra efficiency helps a lot. I can't wait to try one for an extended period, and see how it shapes up on my commute.

·
Vendor
1,140 Posts
As I'm not able to sell it until March, I ought to say that it's rubbish and not to get one. ;)

But since I'm honest, I'll just say this: If they can get the finance payments to be anywhere near comparable with the LEAF, then I'm in trouble - it's a lovely car.

·
Registered
191 Posts
EPA (i.e. real world range) is 110 miles i.e. similar to 30kwh Leaf. The biggest issue for me is that it has CCS rapid charging which for which there are a lot less charge points in the UK compared to Chademo as used in the Leaf.
A lot less CCS at the moment, but I guess that that will change as most European originated or targeted EVs will start coming with CCS, which is rated, as is, to 250kW.

Looking on the Hyundai UK website, it's sounding quite advanced, with battery preconditioning (for range & charging), adaptive cruise control (radar & cameras), lane departure assist and loads of goodies on the spec. It looks fairly mediocre, but like Miles Roberts says, if it is discounted much, it will give the 30kWh Leaf a serious run for its money - though Kia haven't been great at discounting the Soul EV. The next few years are going to be fun filled as new models try to out-tech each other. Hyundai IONIQ All-Electric SUV | Hyundai UK

·
Registered
191 Posts
My local Hyundywear dealer say they won't be going electric for the foreseeable as they couldn't justify the facilities & training for the tiny volume they might sell. That appears to be the story for an 80 mile radius & maybe 10 dealerships, with my nearest 3 Ioniq Electric dealers all at about 90 miles/4 hours return (in the <24kWh Leaf). I probably will go and look, but it really isn't practical without a local dealer. I have Tesla sales & service at 35 miles & another at 50 miles and 3 more Tesla showrooms within 70 miles. It really shouldn't be easier to view & test drive a Tesla than a Hyundai, if they really want to sell them. (I am still too nervous to test drive a Tesla as the man-calculator might come out to somehow justify the thing - next thing no house!). My local dealer say they have 2 of the plain hybrid Ioniqs & the PHEV isn't out yet, but they won't be allowed to sell that.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Disappointing on detail design - for instance my eGolf can show me a detailed map of how far I can go on the current state of charge and how far I can go and still get home. This is not a simple radius but based upon actual road distances. The Hyundai has only two circles, showing a crude radius of range using 100% of charge and range using 80% of charge.

With the imminent increase of range in the eGolf and its superb driving dynamics I can't see any reason to consider the Ioniq instead. However the hybrid does offer a realistic alternative to the Prius.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yep CCS is a deal breaker for me, just look at all the EH Rapids with a Nissan badge or Renault sticker on them, we know ecotricity make no money from them so the only way they are going to swap 100 of them out at £25-35K a time is if BMW/VW/Hyundai pay for it.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
CCS is the future standard. Chademo isn't. Better to have what all chargers will end up being rather than something that is potentially outmoded.

Ioniq sounds good if it does 5+ miles per kWh without much effort.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
As above its EPA real world range is only 3 miles more than the Keaf 30kwh.

CCS is unlikely to ever catch up with Chademo before both are superceded. The current EU standards allow for both CCS and Chademo and EU standards may not be so important post Brexit anyway.

Outside the EU CCS is barely visible. No other manufacturers are supporting rapid charging hardware to the extent that Nissan and Tesla have and neither are going down the CCS route.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Tesla have recently joined the CCS group (along with Renault and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles), the road map for CCS goes to 350kW and CCS is the standard most American manufactures are standardising on.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Tesla have recently joined the CCS group (along with Renault and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles), the road map for CCS goes to 350kW and CCS is the standard most American manufactures are standardising on.
Yes to make an adaptor like their Chademo adaptor.
The Chademo is also moving up the power curve in their roadmap. In fact Kia Soul is already compatible with 100kw Chademo.

The only American manufacturer of note investing in charger hardware is Tesla. Even GM have said that they will not support their Bolt with any investment in chargers.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts