Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kW EV
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen that there are a number of recalls for the Kona. Are some of these also applicable to the ioniq as no doubt they share a lot of ev characteristics? For example the rubber casing for the evse charge unit? One would think that this should apply to the ioniq as well?

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kW EV
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Emailed Hyundai UK to enquire about any potential recall (my car I think was manufactured in July 2019 as it has JUL in the VIN - it is a MY2020 / 69 plate), but they claimed that there are no outstanding recalls. I also validated this myself. So who knows if my car is also included with the potential battery recall issue that is affecting the Kona’s...

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 2016 Leaf 30 gone
156 Posts
My 69 plate Ioniq also has JUL in the VIN, does that mean made in July?

The Ioniq battery pack is set at a lower voltage than the Kona’s so not so stressed voltage wise, might be the reason that so far no Ioniq’s have suffered any battery fire trauma?

·
Registered
552 Posts
The rubber casing for the granny charger, is an odd one. I expect that is common with the Kona, so why haven't you been recalled for it? Re the wider battery issue, Hyundai UK seem to be trying to confirm if our cars are impacted and have not recalled (apart from numerous BMS updates) yet.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
"JUL" in middle of VIN seems to be a coincidence. Nothing to do with dates apparently.

Ioniq battery pack is at lower voltage than Kona 39 simply because it has fewer cells in it, due to the very limited space available in Ioniq. Which is why we don't have a ~64 kWh version either.
USA has 4694 Konas being recalled, and 2 Ioniqs. There were delays getting an Ioniq at the time, s maybe very few were made during the "dodgy" period. But clearly some do need checking over.

Just because there are no recalls in UK doesn't mean we're all fine! I won't be happy until know for sure that my battery is an OK one. Or that it's going to be recalled for a check at some stage.

Personally I'm not bothered about getting a rubber case around the EVSE, and I'd remove it later if I did. These things have a hard enough job as it is trying to keep cool, as there's no through-ventilation and very small volume inside, and a very small surface area to conduct heat through. The last thing these need is even more thermal insulation wrapping round them!

I've already has a granny EVSE die badly after 5 years use, damaging my Ampera, and I believe the cause was thermal cycling of the inlet 13A mains spade-terminals on the PCB causing solder-fatigue. So the less thermal cycling these get, the better. Which is why I'm trying hard not to go over 6A on mine.

·
richi.uk
294 Posts
If your granny's getting hot, something's wrong. Get it looked at by a "competent person." A warm 3-pin plug/socket is normal, but not hot, and not the brick.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
My granny got hotter (same charging rate etc) over a while, and at 4 years old began to trip on internal overheating, not the plug. So I stripped it, checked the internal thermistor, analysed the problem & diagnosed the main relay acting as contactor was wearing out, and the contacts were starting to build up noticeable resistance. So I swapped out both relays for new ones, solved that problem. 1 year later a catastrophic failure happened, far too fast to overheat it gently & trigger a shutdown, where the solder joints I mentioned failed. Must have overheated very suddenly, melted solder causing a short, or maybe the heat carbonised something and that caused the short. Anyway, 240V went down the CP signal line & damaged the car's voltage-sensor it used to detect available current.

My point is that electronic circuits can fail, and one of the main causes is thermal cycling. Happened a lot to I think Playstations, the ball grid joints under the main cpu would fail to conduct. Solution was to bake the PCB in a hot oven for a bit to re-solder it!

Adding thermal insulation around granny EVSEs is likely to shorten their working life a bit. How much? No idea. but shorter.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 2016 Leaf 30 gone
156 Posts
I see quite a few Kona owners have recently received their recall letters next door in the Hyundai Kona forum :unsure:

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Hyundai ACE - Recall Customer Form Found this url - does it work for anyone?
Got my Ioniq recall letter this morning, jumped over most of the hurdles but fell at the last! Their registering website fails to recognise my personalised plate!! Well, the original reg was xxxx DOA, I wasn't going to leave that in place, was I? :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Got my Ioniq recall letter this morning, jumped over most of the hurdles but fell at the last! Their registering website fails to recognise my personalised plate!! Well, the original reg was xxxx DOA, I wasn't going to leave that in place, was I? :)
Mine is EOL (end of line/life) 😂

1 - 15 of 15 Posts