Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been driving my Ioniq Electric for the first time in snow and sleet on the M1. Suddenly loads of warning lights on the dash and messages to say that cruise control etc had been disabled. A strange little car symbol with a "squashed star" on the bonnet. When we were able to pull of, there was 1/2 inch of wet snow on the front of the car. Clearing it from the badge didn't seem to help, and then neither for the rest of front. Had to turn off the car and turn back on for the warnings to clear.
Quite dangerous because those are the conditions when you need the car to have all its safety systems working. Has anyone got any ideas about how to stop this problem? Heated panels might be good, but presumably the metal bits would upset the radar. Small wipers - like some cars have on headlights - somewhat major mods to do this.
Your thoughts please.
Tony

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I think this is a general problem - the mfrs don't seem to have given these issues a lot of thought, maybe in their rush to get the EVs "out-there".

Bjorn in his recent videos had a case where snow built up on the radar cover, so the car's automatic cruise control went off-line, and he was reduced to the traditional form. He's also had several cases where he couldn't open the charge flap, also on the front area, thx to ice in the panel gap, and had to borrow a bag of hot water from the cafe. Clearly this is a frequent problem in Norway!

The new cute Honda has it's charge-cover on the top of the front bonnet ! Absolutely bonkers. Anyone charging that overnight with a snowfall is going to find the whole things a huge block of ice at some stage. All I can say is, snow outside in Tokyo must be rare - perhaps all Hondas are parked up under cover, always?

The number of EVs where the charge panel open sideways (just like most petrol flaps) and snow then builds up is astonishing. These flaps should be opening upwards, ideally they'd keep a tight fit between themselves and the body panel, and so create a tent-like canopy over the whole charging socket area.

Locating them on the side/back of the car is likely to help keeping them clear of this sort of ice build-up, so location at the front seems poor design to me for this one reason. Ideally give us 2, one at front somewhere, one at back somewhere.

Back to radar; I wonder if it needs to be located inside the interior cabin up where the rear-view mirror is, and swept by the wipers?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Is the radar issue any worse on EVs than ICE? Whilst a typical ICE has much more heat to get rid of than a typical EV I still can't see them being able to use it for the radar given its placing at the very front of the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts