Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EV Nick on YouTube has posted some breaking news on the Ioniq/Kona battery recall. Some great information from Nick, and he always posts interesting content so definitely subscribe to his channel.

Nick has kindly posted the affected Ioniq VINs in his video information:
IONIQ EV PE (AEEV): From KMHC851JULU053116 To KMHC851JULU065256

93 Ioniqs are affected. I checked the VIN number on my lease Ioniq38. Yes it's in the affected range...:cautious: They are asking owners to restrict charging to 90% SOC. So that's about a 20 mile 'loss of range'. Nick says they will be a giving out a Rapid charger card as an incentive, it's for free public charging until the battery is replaced. Here's hoping it works with Instavolt.

I'll be interested how long it takes for my leasing company, Arval, to contact me. Apparently due to battery supply shortages it could take many months before the battery is replaced.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 2016 Leaf 30 gone
156 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, my Ioniq is affected according to those VIN numbers.
I limited my rapid charge to 80% and level 2 charge to 90% the day I picked up the car almost a month ago now so hopefully my usage is within safe limits.

·
Registered
591 Posts
93 are affected but the VIN range is nearly 12k? I know it may not be sequential but both cars have access to fall within that range

·
Registered
591 Posts
Could it be that other models are in that range? :unsure: (I haven't watched the video.)

I would imagine most of those VIN’s will be Kona’s, I wonder if mild hybrid and phev Ioniq’s are affected?
Nope Kona has a different VIN format it’s KMHC353 it. The vin range in the description specifically mentions Ioniq EV.

I suspect 93 is just in the UK.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
602 Posts
Mine is in that range of Vins, but there is surely more than 93 in the UK, remember all the lease deals in late 2019 which were delivered Dec2019-Mar2020?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine's 'JUMU' (having been delivered just two weeks ago) so I'm lucky. But I leased it knowing of the problem, and Arval told me it would not be affected.

Hope your recalls go smoothly.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mine is in that range of Vins, but there is surely more than 93 in the UK, remember all the lease deals in late 2019 which were delivered Dec2019-Mar2020?
Maybe someone should start a poll for Kona and Ioniq members that suspect their VIN falls within the affected batch.
You could also poll who has been contacted by Hyundai and completion of battery swap :unsure:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Over 12000 Ioniq VIn range , as been said not all will be the UK cars.
There are probably more than 93 Ioniqs in UK but don't forget it was only battery packs manufactured by LG factory in China so not all those Ioniqs will be affected if the source batteries from multiple factories. So may well be only 93 in UK.
Until you are contacted I wouldn't count on your car being affected and getting the new battery and. the card.
Next step is waiting for any owners to be contacted by Hyundai.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
The docs we've seen for the USA recall are pretty detailed, and they mention 4694 Konas, and 2 Ioniqs! Maybe it's a particularly rare car over there, but suggests 93 over here isn't a silly figure.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The docs we've seen for the USA recall are pretty detailed, and they mention 4694 Konas, and 2 Ioniqs! Maybe it's a particularly rare car over there, but suggests 93 over here isn't a silly figure.
Battery packs probably arrived (just in time) on the assembly line from different supply sources so it might be a lottery if your battery is one of the suspected faulty ones.

I’m not holding my breath, I’ve probably seen 93 Ioniq’s driving on the roads in the month I’ve owned mine.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
602 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
602 Posts
okay, does anyone use: Charge MyHundai? It's the first I've heard of it.
I've installed it. As far as I can see you activate it with £1.99 and you get an RFD card. And you can opt into the BP pulse subscription I think for free which gives you 12p/15p/27p rates at 7kW/50kW/150kW chargers.
But the app also shows up podpoint and instavolt which you can start with the RFD card they give you.
There's a session fee of 49p, not sure what that means, minimum charge?
Not sure if you get any sort of discount at podpoint/instavolt, wouldn't be much point if you don't, why would you bother using the app/RFD if there wasn't and you incurred the 49p fee?

Reactions: Johnny Read

·
Registered
360 Posts
The charge my Hyundai and the equivalent Kia app are basically backroom accounting so that all your charging is billed in on place and you don't have to worry about charge payments. Just swipe and go.
The 49p is basically the administration charge for doing this for you. So without discounts it is not worth it but convenience.
The bigger monthly subscription you pay gets you a bigger discount on Ionity only. So unless you are regularly on the road rapid charging It simply is not worth it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts