Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Ionity in UK - Kia Niro EV Tests First IONITY Charging Station In England: Video

I'm in two minds but verging towards, its a bad idea.
In one respect it will stop people just adding a few % if they are passing by.
On the other hand it will encourage people hanging on to eke out the last few kWh at a dismal rate of charge just because its effectively free.
However, and probably more concerning, if there's a technical issue with the charger or your car which stops the charge after a few minutes, you'll get stung £8 each time with presumably mountain to climb to get a refund.
I also note with some disappointment its the usual faff with an app and not a simple contactless card tap :mad:
And it looks like EH's monopoly has prevented Ionity siting it in a better area for the services :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Being a small battery EV I like to do lots of splash and dash. Business models that have high session or high minimum costs kill that for me. Although in Scotland, all the brand new fast charger posts are incompatible with my car so already facing exclusion. So if rapids start to exclude me... Perhaps great for new big battery EVs but how is that fair when there are massive waiting lists and are very expensive... IMHO public chargers are getting worse not better...

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
798 Posts
I may well be wrong, but isn't the £8 thing just temporary?

If not, then I think it's a bad idea. The user should pay for what they take - it's as simple as that.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
The most time-efficient way for recharging to happen in a large-battery world is for cars to be able to stop for 15-20 minutes to recharge at the fastest rate possible, i.e. while they still have 30% in their batteries then stop before 80%, or alternatively only as much as necessary to get home

Imposing a crude £8 charge for 30 minutes makes this unworkable.

·
798 Posts
Everyone who dislikes this fee structure may wish to let Ionity know. You never know, if enough people tell them, they may change it.

·
798 Posts
Ionity CEO Michael Hajesch: “By setting a flat-rate throughout Europe, we are taking steps to further reduce the ‘hassle-factor’ associated with EVs. That means less hassle in financial terms as well as addressing the range anxiety issue by providing an average of six charging points every 120 kilometres.”

If only Shell, BP, Esso etc etc had introduced a flat-rate for fossil-fuel years ago - just imagine how much hassle could have been avoided.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
The most time-efficient way for recharging to happen in a large-battery world is for cars to be able to stop for 15-20 minutes to recharge at the fastest rate possible, i.e. while they still have 30% in their batteries then stop before 80%, or alternatively only as much as necessary to get home

Imposing a crude £8 charge for 30 minutes makes this unworkable.
Maybe not in the next generation of VW group EVs being driven by company car drivers.

I am also expecting a subscription service based on the car Id that CCS2 provides that gives a much lower cost per charge. Maybe this service will be included as part of a maintenance package for their cars.

·
9,719 Posts
I also note with some disappointment its the usual faff with an app and not a simple contactless card tap :mad:
They have roaming partnerships with ChargeMap and Plugsurfing, but as previously noted the plan is to move to Plug in and Charge protocol, no cards no nothing. It'll do what it says on the tin.

£8 is purely a transitionary pricing structure.

·
9,719 Posts
I am also expecting a subscription service based on the car Id that CCS2 provides that gives a much lower cost per charge. Maybe this service will be included as part of a maintenance package for their cars.
We already have an idea of what VAG are doing with Plugin and Charge with the e-Tron tariffs - Audi publishes their e-tron charging tariffs - electrive.com

Ionity will 33c/kWh with subscription of 17.95EUR a month.

·
798 Posts
CCS alone kills it for me but for an egolf or i3 that's silly money for a charge session!
It's not actually, necessarily, terrible for a 120Ah i3.

I'm planning to use it soon, and will aim to arrive with 20% SOC and charge to about 95%.

Works out at just over 28p per kWh.

20% to even just 85% would cost me £8.62 at an Instavolt.

The main problem with the flat fee, from my perspective, is I can see these potentially becoming popular with larger batteried cars that don't actually charge that much faster most of the time, and so end up sitting on a charger for an hour or more to try and eek out as much value as possible. Fair enough, I guess, but it will potentially inconvenience others.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The main problem with the flat fee, from my perspective, is I can see these potentially becoming popular with larger batteried cars that don't actually charge that much faster most of the time, and so end up sitting on a charger for an hour or more to try and eek out as much value as possible. Fair enough, I guess, but it will potentially inconvenience others.
Exactly. When it's 30p a kWh and trickling in at a snails pace people will unplug then, when it's trickling in at a snails pace and "it's free" or even worse "well I've paid for it" enough people will hang on to the last electron to mess it up for others. It can't work very well for them either instead of a new user at £8, I head off elsewhere when I see Mr MoneysWorth is at 97% with 30 minutes to go.

P.s. I must read up on CCS2 - is this a software upgrade to existing CCS or does it need new hardware in the car?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I believe it needs new hardware for the comms part of it as well as ccs2 does more Comms and is for higher power than ccs1

·
798 Posts
Hopefully they also implement contactless bank card payment, in addition to CCS2 automated billing, so everyone can avoid having to bother with QR codes etc etc. I mean, waving your bank card at an Instavolt is hardly a lot more difficult or time consuming that just plugging in would be.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I mean, waving your bank card at an Instavolt is hardly a lot more difficult or time consuming that just plugging in would be
Think of a company being able to get a single bill for charging all their cars without having to give out additional cards.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I am surprised that people are shocked at the flat £8 rate for Ionity. It's been public knowledge for well over 6 months now, and discussed on here in multiple threads.

They have also publicly discussed their preference of plug-and-charge over contactless. AFAIK plug-and-charge is mandatory on CCS 2 vehicles from 2020 onwards, but optional before then - and we all know how stringent manufacturers are with their CCS protocol support, so it will be interesting to see which cars work and which don't.

So the options will be:
- Plug and charge if your car supports it (once you've pre-registered)
- Scan the QR code to pay via web browser
- Go to the web page direct (https://payment.ionity.eu)
- Scan a partner RFID card / chip (i.e. Plugsurfing / New Motion)

Payments current are a flat £8 temporarily.

If this turns out to be typical subscription example:
We already have an idea of what VAG are doing with Plugin and Charge with the e-Tron tariffs - Audi publishes their e-tron charging tariffs - electrive.com

Ionity will 33c/kWh with subscription of 17.95EUR a month.
Then PAYG rates are going to have to be in the 40-50p/kWh range surely, otherwise the subscription models are pointless.

I know everyone's been very excited / hopeful about Ionity's arrival in the UK, but charging speed aside, were you really expecting them to be that much difference from every other operator? Until plug-and-charge is more established, it's nearest example from a usability would be Geniepoint (all through a web page with optional RFID), with a Polar-esque subscription model option thrown in.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,570 Posts
It's not actually, necessarily, terrible for a 120Ah i3.

I'm planning to use it soon, and will aim to arrive with 20% SOC and charge to about 95%.

Works out at just over 28p per kWh.

20% to even just 85% would cost me £8.62 at an Instavolt.

Not so good for me in my 60Ah:confused: Instavolt and Shell are the way to go, just pay for what you take that's fair, I'm actually quite a fan of the EH at the moment, I'm getting some great results especially at Ikea(y)

Per session charging for charging is ridiculous as already demonstrated by CM/BP with the Polar Instant.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts