Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we think MG will be joining the now growing list of Ionity partners, to reduce the cost of charging at their rapids ?.
"Fully Charged" has absolutely murdered this plan set out by Ionity with regards to the cost of charging.
Here is a good video from EVM on the very subject, he explains why he looks at it in different light altogether !.
Please watch the entire video before responding.
Food for though on both sides of the camp here !.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I’ve not watched either yet. But while I agree that the price is high, I will not be using then on a regular basis, and charging the majority of the time at home, the cost is negligible. Plus they are reliable and in the UK there are 4 chargers so the chances of finding one free are relatively high and when you are on a journey you want to cut down on waiting time.

So I for one will use them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Agree with EVM.
Would be good if MG joined Ionity.
I do think, though, that the Government have simply allowed the charging network to develop into the Wild West!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I do think, though, that the Government have simply allowed the charging network to develop into the Wild West!
That is just competition. Competition doesn't just act to force prices down. It can also act to pull prices up. One supplier (Ionity) goes out on a limb to hike prices and others see their chance to establish a new norm.

Competition to force prices down doesn't really start until there is over-supply in the market. We can only dream of such a situation.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Competition to force prices down doesn't really start until there is over-supply in the market. We can only dream of such a situation
And that will be a very long time coming, sadly. :cautious: In the meantime people will continue to buy BEVs with bigger and bigger batteries and charge at home. Perhaps now is the time to get 3 phase at home? :p I also wonder how long it will be before Politicians start seeing charging as a human right as they are beginning to with home broadband, something else that they have spectacularly failed to deliver? :D:mad:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Perhaps now is the time to get 3 phase at home?
Well, notwithstanding that big EV Chelsea tractors are inefficient due to their brick-like aerodynamics...

It shouldn't matter how big the battery is. My charger is only 16 amps and I only use it every few days - maybe twice a week. No matter how big a battery my EV has, I'll still have enough capacity to do the same sort of mileage. It only gets to matter if you are some sort of road-warrior doing significant mileage every day and you arrive back on empty and need it fully charged in the morning.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does anyone know E-ON charger pricing I see on plugshare 175kw chargers are 43p kw/hr (Preston East )
They are planning to be able to book a charge in advance on the app
Rumour E-ON have a home rate 9p kw/hr if you own an EV anyone using this .

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,574 Posts
Rumour E-ON have a home rate 9p kw/hr if you own an EV anyone using this .
I'm with E-ON right now, so I'll take a look for you...

E-ON's EV tariff is called "Fix & Drive v7"
Get a reward of 850 miles (£30-ish) for two years, if you own or lease a plug-in electric or hybrid vehicle.
That's the only benefit to it that I can see. The rest reads:-

2 years fixed contract
Electricity - 19.058p per kWh with a 22.491p per day standing charge
Gas - 3.7p per kWh with a 26.513p per day standing charge
Exit fees of £30 per service

Think I'll be Octopus bound once E-ON fit my smart meters in a couple weeks time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
For occasional charging during longer trips E-0N may still be an option .
I think some of the features are reasonable
1, The prices are shown per kWh and/or p/hour and are inclusive of VAT ie if you remain on charge after 80% becomes expensive so incentive to free up post
2 Prices can change from time to time and will vary depending on the Charge Point. You will be able to monitor the ongoing state of the charge via the Website. Look like prices may rise at peak times or fall at off peak .

Still a problem of a INCONSIDERATE driver who stops the charge and then goes away the Post does not know the vehicle is blocking the post .

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm with E-ON right now, so I'll take a look for you...

E-ON's EV tariff is called "Fix & Drive v7"

That's the only benefit to it that I can see. The rest reads:-

2 years fixed contract
Electricity - 19.058p per kWh with a 22.491p per day standing charge
Gas - 3.7p per kWh with a 26.513p per day standing charge
Exit fees of £30 per service

Think I'll be Octopus bound once E-ON fit my smart meters in a couple weeks time.
Oh sorry not Eon its EDF
As for the smart charging i'm with EDF and as my current smart meter could not accept the electric go which was a dual rate, they put me on a special rate of 11pence per KW all day so i can charge when ever i want. They will upgrade my meter later this year so i will need some sort of timed charging as the other rate starts at 9pm for 8 pence per KW hope that all makes sense

·
Registered
65 Posts
Forgive this first post, but I don't agree with EV Man (AT all), whereas a new provider is very welcome, an exorbitant price of 69 pence per kWh is not.

I don't care how dear or otherwise provision of high charging rates are, there is no excuse for playing into the hands of the Oil lobby by creating a dearer than ICE situation which is bound to dissuade the early adoption of BEV's.

Garage forecourts selling petrol and diesel don't include a price hike to cover what must be the much more expensive costs of their pumps ( not taking into account the high decommissioning costs of taking the pumps out, there is a disused garage only a few miles from me, and the garage and land has been unused for twenty years or more because they don't want to pay for the clear-up).

Another convenience that these chargers have over Petrol/Diesel pumps is that they can largely be self serve and as haulage and staffing and stocking of fuel afford only a slight profit, the same cannot be said for electric chargers where eventually a small per kWh charge over a moderate base rate will recoup vast profits.

If we all avoid these chargers, which I confidently expect, Ionity will have little alternative other than reduce their rates to something more reasonable.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
there's some new Ionities near Cambridge, at Boxworth off the A14, and since I've never rapid charged before (failed to charge with the EH one at the same site), so thought I would give it a go. The first was out of order, the next one worked. I got charging started, too a few photos, then went and got a coffee, came back, took a few more photos and finished charging at the 24th minute having charged 6.3kWh and it cost £4.38, so that's 69.52p/kWh

wtf! I worked it out, that's over 18p/mile, whereas even at the nearby Shell with its inflated service station price of £1.259/L that would have been less than 14p/mile with my previous 2L turbo disesel!! If the chargers were in the ChargePoint app I would have used that. Maybe I'll sign up with Maingau.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Time to read the big print, 50kW charger on Arran remains without cost. Like others if if were the only option I would use it, but that must be unusual. They just want to keep them clear for the Taycan to visit.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh
153 Posts
wtf! I worked it out, that's over 18p/mile, whereas even at the nearby Shell with its inflated service station price of £1.259/L that would have been less than 14p/mile with my previous 2L turbo disesel!! If the chargers were in the ChargePoint app I would have used that. Maybe I'll sign up with Maingau.
Definitely worth signing up with Maingau.
I nipped up to Maidstone yesterday just to try it out. Partly to see what charging speed I would get but mainly to try the card.
Prices more comparable to Instavolt with Maingau but with the advantage of the extra speed.

The only issue I had signing up was finding out what the German was for United Kingdom. Thought the UK was missing from the country list to start with 🤦‍♂️ (Clue in the image :))
Took around a week for the card to arrive.

Think the fixed price Chargepoint app would be cheaper though if you need more than around 22kWh.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,862 Posts
Maingau or chargepoint card but cheaper than the ionity own fee per kWh.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Definitely worth signing up with Maingau.
I nipped up to Maidstone yesterday just to try it out. Partly to see what charging speed I would get but mainly to try the card.
Prices more comparable to Instavolt with Maingau but with the advantage of the extra speed.

The only issue I had signing up was finding out what the German was for United Kingdom. Thought the UK was missing from the country list to start with 🤦‍♂️ (Clue in the image :))
Took around a week for the card to arrive.

Think the fixed price Chargepoint app would be cheaper though if you need more than around 22kWh.

View attachment 131509
I used Ionity Maidstone in December. I only achieved 53.5kW, which is slower than the speed you achieved, but it was a lot colder... I arrived with 8%.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh
153 Posts
I used Ionity Maidstone in December. I only achieved 53.5kW, which is slower than the speed you achieved, but it was a lot colder... I arrived with 8%.
I should have added I was in a 1st Gen Ioniq. Updated my profile now(y)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts