Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recent experience of the 4 bay Ionity Cullompton CCS Rapid charger site?

We are going to be depending on this at the weekend in a trip in my 140 mile range car to get us the last 50 miles of charge to get into Bude (North Cornwall) from my starting point in Worcester.

I have selected this as my charging stop as it has 4 bays and Ionity are expected to be expensive but reliable and I don't need to add more than 10kWh.

Looking at the Zapmap comments recently, there does appear to have been some problems with slow charging, queues and kit not working.

I hope to get around any re-authorisation issues by using my Octopus juice RFID card however.

Are there any good back-up sites nearby that we can have a as a plan B?
I have presumed that the neighbouring EH site will be broken/offline/no CCS/ICEd :-(.
There is an Instavolt on the other side of the town but I expect that will have a queue if Ionity has issues and it is working.

I don’t think that arriving at my holiday site on a low loader will be a good start :)

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
409 Posts
If you can make it to Exeter services, the chargers there have just been upgraded by Gridserve. I assume that means all three of them. Unlike the previous Electric Highway installation with 3 Chademo and 1 CCS, all three will have CCS.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you can make it to Exeter services, the chargers there have just been upgraded by Gridserve. I assume that means all three of them. Unlike the previous Electric Highway installation with 3 Chademo and 1 CCS, all three will have CCS.
Unfortunately I am not going that far on the M5. In fact I need to leave just before Collumpton to take the Barnstable road.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Our go to at Collompton are the two Instavolt chargers at the sports centre, no charge car park.

Always working and never found them both occupied……although I may regret that now.

Culm Valley Sports centre.

Then take the Tiverton Road out of Cullompton and across to Barney.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you are aiming for Bude then Exeter, Okehampton, Holsworthy is the better route imho.

I speak as a resident of Exeter who has driven all these roads many times.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Our go to at Collompton are the two Instavolt chargers at the sports centre, no charge car park.

Always working and never found them both occupied……although I may regret that now.

Culm Valley Sports centre.

Then take the Tiverton Road out of Cullompton and across to Barney.
This

·
Registered
512 Posts
Does anyone have any recent experience of the 4 bay Ionity Cullompton CCS Rapid charger site?

We are going to be depending on this at the weekend in a trip in my 140 mile range car to get us the last 50 miles of charge to get into Bude (North Cornwall) from my starting point in Worcester.

I have selected this as my charging stop as it has 4 bays and Ionity are expected to be expensive but reliable and I don't need to add more than 10kWh.

Looking at the Zapmap comments recently, there does appear to have been some problems with slow charging, queues and kit not working.

I hope to get around any re-authorisation issues by using my Octopus juice RFID card however.

I have presumed that the neighbouring EH site will be broken/offline/no CCS/ICEd :-(.
There is an Instavolt on the other side of the town but I expect that will have a queue if Ionity has issues and it is working.

I don’t think that arriving at my holiday site on a low loader will be a good start :)
If you are coming off the M5 at Tiverton then why not use the Instavolt chargers at Tiverton Leisure Centre, thats whayt I do for a top up before heading across the North Devon Link Rd. In fcat I did this trip on Monday. Also remember there are now 3 Rapid chargers in Bideford and 1 in Appledore . All within 3 or 4 mins of the Bideford by pass.

After Bideford theres nothing until Bude - the Rapid at the Tourist Centre car park. Easy to find ( I was there 2 weeks ago)

Living in North Devon I often need to cahrge up before heading home across the Link Rd. If you are coming donw the M5 then you have 3 options - Taunton Services and then Tiverton Services and then Tiverton Instavolts (2 chargers) Unless you need the higher speed Ionity you might prefer one of these

Oh and watch out. The last 10 miles of the NDLR as you approach Barnstaple is at 40mph due to road works (for the next 3 years)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Used Cullompton Ionity twice a couple of weeks ago. Both times got a bay straightaway, but there was a queue by the time we left. For our homeward journey I got nearly 44 kWh in 42 mins which I think averages out at around 62.5 kWh in an hour. This was in an ID.3. It looks like there's space for 2 more charging bays and given where it is, it needs those extra two at least, if not more.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There was a queue the last time I stopped here with my parents and we had to wait for 15 minutes, but only because cars on 3 of the four stalls were absolutely insisting they had to charge to 100% - including an ID3 drawing about 19Kw at 95% and an e-tron idling on 100% whilst the owner had a smoke. She refused to move it even when I asked politely.

Stall 1 (which is by parking bay 3) seemed to have a reduced power level (was giving about 75Kw to a Taycan) and flipped onto free-vend (at the classic 36kw) whilst we were there, which made a waiting jaguar i-Pace very happy (no VW group discount for them and they were happy to wait).

The issue is that, for the time being this is basically the 'last' HPDC station for the West Country (there's 2*175kw shell at Penhale now, and 4*175kw at Hayle that are supposed to open this Summer). If you're going all the way it's about 130 miles to Penzance and obviously not everyone will have the opportunity to home charge if they're staying in hotels or rented holiday accommodation, so will want a usable level of juice to run around county with.

I expect it to be stupidly busy for July and August from about midday Friday to midday Monday (most rented accommodation in the west country changes over during this period). I wish there was a way to lobby Ionity to install chargers for the remaining two bays because they would definitely help.

Edit: Quick edit but the other thing worth saying is the IONITY app seems to have 0 bearing on reality in terms of stall availability. I don't know if it only forces as status-fetch from the chargers every 30 minutes or something, but it's never been right for me.

·
Registered
BMW i3
2,153 Posts
I'd recommend the Instavolts at Cullompton, they've always worked for us. Sometimes we stretch to the Instavolts at Crediton.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the tips.

I will post my experience here after the journey.

Or perhaps whilst in a charger queue ......or waiting for the low loader 😫.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
We used the Ionity at Cullompton on Saturday 19th June. The services were very busy but there were a couple of charger spaces when we arrived. There was a queue for chargers before we left though. The services themselves are pretty horrible, I haven't seen the nearby Instavolt but they might be a more pleasant place to sit and charge.

·
Registered
668 Posts
We used the Ionity at Cullompton on Saturday 19th June. The services were very busy but there were a couple of charger spaces when we arrived. There was a queue for chargers before we left though. The services themselves are pretty horrible, I haven't seen the nearby Instavolt but they might be a more pleasant place to sit and charge.
Unfortunately the sports centre isn’t exactly posh, there is a coffee vending machine and snack machine last time we were there, whether that’s still in operation due to Covid though?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Unfortunately the sports centre isn’t exactly posh, there is a coffee vending machine and snack machine last time we were there, whether that’s still in operation due to Covid though?
A pub nearby was advertising coffee when I went exploring for facilities while charging there… turned out it was instant coffee at 50p a cup! Starbucks had better watch out!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I decided to make it a 2-stop trip in the end.

A quick 20 min charge at the Portishead Instavolt meant that we could drive to Tiverton Instavolt at proper motorway speeds.

The only worry I had was when we arrived at the Portishead site, the 2 slots were taken up with an i-Pace and an E-tron. Knowing how big their batteries are I expected a long wait but the E-Tron was at 80% and left after 15 mins.

Tiverton Instavolt was completely unnoccupied when we arrived and when we left...

Attachments

·
Registered
Volkwagen ID3 1st Edition
83 Posts
Used the Ionity ones on Saturday. 3 were free on arrival just an mg5 taking the other one, this despite the services being that busy they had 2 people out in the car park directing traffic to the free spaces. Other than toilets didn't use any facilities, stopped for 20 mins to get enough charge to get to Chippenham for a longer break, no issues at all.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts