Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

641 - 660 of 687 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Has anyone used these much and ever had to queue?

I've not even got an EV yet but have been route planning and they usually involve an Ionity.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I use Maidstone and MK a couple of times a month (hopping between them is about the limit of my i3).

Never had to queue. It’s very rare I see another car using them at the same time. At MK there’s sometimes a couple of other cars at peak time but they tend to use the Polar chargers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use Maidstone and MK a couple of times a month (hopping between them is about the limit of my i3).

Never had to queue. It’s very rare I see another car using them at the same time. At MK there’s sometimes a couple of other cars at peak time but they tend to use the Polar chargers.
For the i3, the Polar chargers normally come out cheaper, so I'll use those at MK. At £8 a charge you need to take 32kWh to get to the 25p/kWh price of Polar.

·
Registered
779 Posts
For the i3, the Polar chargers normally come out cheaper, so I'll use those at MK. At £8 a charge you need to take 32kWh to get to the 25p/kWh price of Polar.
But you need to factor in the £7.85/mo fee for Polar which for me (admittedly a light user) makes it around 25p/kWh for the 7kW posts I use.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Has anyone used these much and ever had to queue?
First time user of Ionity, I tested my newly CCS-retrofitted ModelX at Maidstone and it was quite painless. It strangely did not like my bank card but it gladly accepted a wallet full of RFID cards.

I've been watching utilisation at Maidstone in particular via the app and at least over the weekend I could see a car there every other hour or so, never more than 2 (of the 4) used at least.

On my particular visit there was an iPace finishing up - unsure if it the driver was parked badly or if my suspicion is right that the charge-port location requires bad parking at the location.

Looking forward to see more of these popping up

·
Registered
78 Posts
But you need to factor in the £7.85/mo fee for Polar which for me (admittedly a light user) makes it around 25p/kWh for the 7kW posts I use.
I was meaning just on Polar Instant (i.e. without the subscription). They'd be 15p per kWh on the subscription. The subscription doesn't make economic sense to me.

Link to Polar site for these chargers.

·
EGGY
980 Posts
feck know, but here's hoping. Seems to be from YouTube videos. Chargers seem to be more reliable, next summer could be the sweet spot before the VW MEB rollout really kicks in and then we could be into queueing and people being ar$e$

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just checked out the map and indeed it is looking good, but let's hope it keeps expanding. I'd like to see Arras, st Quentin, Rouen, evreux, Besancon, Orléans, Bourges, Clermont Ferrand, bordeaux, Pau to fill in some gaps / add some route options. I was thinking of going to la pierre st matin in late summer next year, so the western side heading towards Spain would be especially welcome.

·
EGGY
980 Posts
I go the other way to the sister in laws in Genoa, so Mont Blanc or Frejus both looking not to bad (although my wife isn't to keen in doing it in the i3, adding that to the Tesla Model 3 justification / bargaining point list)

641 - 660 of 687 Posts