Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

661 - 680 of 687 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm not far away from the new Skelton Lakes MSA which is getting a 4 station Ionity charger; will try to get some pictures when it opens. And Skelton Lakes is an Extra MSA; fills in the gap between the M1 and A1M quite nicely for some.

Hopefully the MSAs are considering power provision when they build these sites. If EVs get as popular as Tesla's on Thanksgiving, then they are going to need 10MVA service soon!

·
Registered
293 Posts
This is really starting to look quite promising, I do hope they are successful in finding good locations for the outstanding 30 to 40 sites that we should expect in GB by end of next year.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hopefully the MSAs are considering power provision when they build these sites. If EVs get as popular as Tesla's on Thanksgiving, then they are going to need 10MVA service soon!
Extra are planning to build a new MSA very near me in Warrington (J11 M62), I went to the consultation event (I'm a local councillor for my sins) and asked about charger provision, which is where I first heard about their association with Ionity.

They told me the grid connection for the chargers was a real headache because it was far more than the power required for the rest of the site, but they were planning for double the number of chargers that would initially be installed - I can't remember if it was 4 rising to 8 or 6 rising to 12 but either way they have given it some thought.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is the best charging infrastructure news I've heard for the UK.

These sites will quickly become busy, which isn't so great for being relied upon but should at least demonstrate the need for multiple fast rapids in the same place & importantly show the other MSA's this is how you do rapid charging.

Their £8 charge should put people off who don't need a charge, which is perfect - but the fixed nature means once they've paid will stay as long as they want which will be troublesome if following a couple of I paces.

Whilst I can't wait for their completeness, I also look forward to a combined £/kWh & £/min being adopted.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Maybe Ionity should follow Chargemaster(I think?) and add a ridiculously high "overstay" charge if you're connected for over an hour?
I say an hour as some cars (eGolf for example) can only eat electrons at up to 40kW no matter how fast the charger might be.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Unless you plan very carefully it's probably not sensible / economic to charge an e golf on ionity with their current pricing model... I think you are only going to be able to take between 25 and 30 kWh depending on how much you are willing to deliberately risk running out. That's 27p a unit at the absolute cheapest on the assumption you can arrive with less than 10%
If a golf driver happened to arrive with 25%+ soc it's probably over 40p

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Extra are planning to build a new MSA very near me in Warrington (J11 M62), I went to the consultation event (I'm a local councillor for my sins) and asked about charger provision, which is where I first heard about their association with Ionity
Hopefully they are also talking to Tesla about having a large supercharger site.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The Ionity chargers are natively compatible with Model 3 with CCS, and Model S with CCS adapter. Should be adequate.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Ionity chargers are natively compatible with Model 3 with CCS, and Model S with CCS adapter. Should be adequate.

I'm not sure how many they will be installing, but probably between 4-8. This would make it equivalent to a small / one of the smallest supercharger setups.

Whilst they will provide more than adequate speed to a model 3 (should allow for up to ~200kW, I think they are limited to 500A) a supercharger station of 4 chargers that's also open to all other CCS vehicles will quickly become overrun.

It's a fantastic start, but as someone pointed out above I hope they are making provisions for a much larger rollout too.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I agree. It's a good start, but it will need to expand.

I think given EVs are still less than 1% of UK vehicles, it will be sufficient, but come 2025, I'd expect every MSA will need to look at having 15+ supercharging-equivalent stations at every location.

One need only look at how Tesla's supercharging network strains under Thanksgiving traffic.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I think they should be planning for at least 32 150kw stalls with their grid connection. Getting Tesla on site could provide some of the funding that is needed for the grid connection.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
One need only look at how Tesla's supercharging network strains under Thanksgiving traffic
That is a US problem with many drivers doing most of their very long distance driving in a few days of the year. We don't get such a peak of demand in the UK.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
At the moment I think more sites with 4-8 chargers is better than a few larger sites.
As EVs become more popular then the sites can grow with the demand.

Driving off route to get a reliable charge is one thing I don't like about charging.
A short stop is quite good but having to drive 5-10 minutes to and from that stop isn't.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Their £8 charge should put people off who don't need a charge, which is perfect - but the fixed nature means once they've paid will stay as long as they want which will be troublesome if following a couple of I paces
I think ionity will need to change this soon. £8 a charge on large batteries is a really good deal, and encourages 100% hoggers.

Us small battery people only want 20 minutes, but some of the big guys can take over an hour if their charging speed is naff.

661 - 680 of 687 Posts