Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

761 - 771 of 771 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
7p per mile is more than they government allowance figure of 4p. Do you end up being taxed on the additional 3p?
Depending on the car you are driving 7p sounds plenty to me as an average, if you are averaging 3mi/kWh that's 21p per kWh, more than enough for home charging with plenty spare for when you need to use a rapid, unless you don't have home charging.
Not been raised re the tax...I'll keep my head down. Unfortunately 7p/mile isn't as generous as I'd like...the two available full BEVs on the scheme are eTron (my choice) and IPace. Both 2–2.5 miles / kWh in normal use I'm afraid. I could make money on the ICE fuel rates no problem...these ones are more challenging!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I thought for company car use you could claim back the electricity used at cost.

Just submit an expense claim for the kWhs used in your charger or estimate of consumption times the price you paid for it. Or submit rapid charging receipts.
May be permissible for tax purposes, but not under our expenses policy. Flat rate per mile and that's it. No problem with that in principle as it encourages efficienct driving. However the Wild West situation we have with rapid charging costs at present means 7p/mile is either fine (home charging) or totally inadequate (ionity, instavolt).

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
May be permissible for tax purposes, but not under our expenses policy. Flat rate per mile and that's it. No problem with that in principle as it encourages efficienct driving. However the Wild West situation we have with rapid charging costs at present means 7p/mile is either fine (home charging) or totally inadequate (ionity, instavolt).
Ahh, so thirsty car and expensive charging, I guess if you have lots of miles to drive then the home charging excess gets used up quite quickly.
You'll have to balance it off against the bic savings

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ahh, so thirsty car and expensive charging, I guess if you have lots of miles to drive then the home charging excess gets used up quite quickly.
You'll have to balance it off against the bic savings
Already cashed the BIK savings by paying a huge monthly trade up cost for the high capital cost vehicle I'm afraid...the man maths is creaking a little.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Already cashed the BIK savings by paying a huge monthly trade up cost for the high capital cost vehicle I'm afraid...the man maths is creaking a little.
I gave up on the man maths once I bought a second new bev.
I don't do many trips were I need to charge using rapids so the 'fuel' cost is minimal but the monthly payments are much higher than I originally planned.
As much as I would have liked an iPace that would have been a stretch to far for me.

761 - 771 of 771 Posts