Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

821 - 839 of 839 Posts

·
EGGY
1,114 Posts

Just browsing the data on Ionity tracker and looking by country. It's clear they have prioritised Germany (understandably) with 88 live compared to the next biggest, France with 47. Meanwhile the UK has 9 live sites whereas Switzerland has 10. Now I've not looked into the numbers but I would guess that the market size in the UK and France is more comparable to Germany than Switzerland, so you'd hope that deployment in France and the UK ultimately would look more like Germany than Switzerland ! Spain is a desert with 4 live sites for anyone contemplating a driving holiday there, buy a Tesla ....

Then looking at construction, UK, Spain and Germany 4 each, France 13, Italy 9. so not that much sign of progress (although outside of MSA's we're probably better catered for than Spain, France and Italy) so a longways to go to catch up with Germany for the UK and not much sign of progress. Still, doubt you'll see many ID3 's in the UK this side of Christmas !

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Ionity can only work with sites are that willing to work with them, like everyone else they have issues with access to moterways services and an electrical distribution system that is very expensive and slow to get large connections from.

They seem to be senible enough not to take on 2nd rate sites, as their business model is to make high speed long distances driving easy (not cheap) in their members EVs, so their members can sell enough EV to advoid the EU CO2 fines.

·
EGGY
1,114 Posts
Instavolt managed to do it in the UK, I suspect the bigger driver is they don't have any cars on sale in mass volume (yet) and they when they do they will concentrate on the home market.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Instavolt managed to do it in the UK, I suspect the bigger driver is they don't have any cars on sale in mass volume (yet) and they when they do they will concentrate on the home market.
Instavolt is creating a very different charging network.
  • They are choosing sites based on easy power access as much as being the best locations
  • They are not putting large clusters of chargers on most sites
  • Their chargers are limited to not much over 50kw per stall (when all in use)
  • They are going for as many possible sites as they get, rather then a carefully spaced out network for long distance driving.
  • They are selling it to side owners based on people visiting the site to charge, Ionity is about getting drivers away from the charging sites quickly

·
Registered
430 Posts
Indeed Instavolt seem to be putting in a lot of what might almost be termed short stay destination chargers, at the gym, supermarket, fast food joint etc. All places where people might expect to stay for half an hour to an hour, if they can pick up 20 - 45 kWh whilst they go about their business, brilliant!
Are all the ionities at places with at least food/coffee and toilets? Waiting for charging is boring even if it's fast.

·
Registered
430 Posts
How are they doing for maintenance? Worryingly I seem to have read of a few failed chargers recently, are they getting fixed, we wouldn't want another ecotricity, especially not with the premium service rates they want to charge.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Indeed Instavolt seem to be putting in a lot of what might almost be termed short stay destination chargers, at the gym, supermarket, fast food joint etc. All places where people might expect to stay for half an hour to an hour,
Yes, instavolt politely refused to consider a site when asked ( a zoo car park)
citing "we only want sites with dwell time of under an hour"

On Ionity, I don't see why they set charging price so high in these early stages,
wouldn't it make more sense to price them low, get everyone used to using them,
then inch the price up later ?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,662 Posts
On Ionity, I don't see why they set charging price so high in these early stages,
wouldn't it make more sense to price them low, get everyone used to using them,
then inch the price up later ?
They did. Ionity was a flat-rate £6 per session for quite a while.

821 - 839 of 839 Posts