DC: 46.79 ct/kWh*
IONITY charging points: 73.11 ct/kWh* = 65p/kWh

Energy customers
AC: 27.29 ct/kWh*
DC: 37.04 ct/kWh*
IONITY charging points: 73.11 ct/kWh* = 65p/kWh

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
233 Posts
Still alot cheaper than the allegro. I reckon my fill ups would be about £9 on new DC price whereas new motion is £12/£13 per fill. Still creeping up toward the gas prices.

·
Registered
283 Posts
That equates to 66p/kW! However the non-Ionity chargers are still at my top end (35p/kW) of what I would be willing to pay. Ionity only in emergencies for me in future!

They have certainly put in a great infrastructure so perhaps when they recoup the investment and more people use Ionity, I hope the price drops back to a more reasonable level.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Let's assume 3.5mpkWh, not unreasonable for motorway driving. that's 19ppm! Current diesel/petrol prices will beat that on all but the thirstiest cars.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i cant see how doubling the price is good for anyone. Perhaps they are counting on people with deep pockets

·
Registered
16,839 Posts
It’s a bit like Ionity got together with the German manufacturers and said “how can we make EVs just as expensive to run as ICEs”?

I can’t help but think Tesla are chuckling right now about how hard their competition are making it for themselves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i cant see how doubling the price is good for anyone. Perhaps they are counting on people with deep pockets
As I understand it, Maingau are not doubling the price. Just their contract with IONITY has now expired (or is going to on Sept 1st) and they are updating prices to reflect the new IONITY pricing model.

Its still insane though :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Britain's entering a very active period of change with regards to the E.V market; with booming BEV car sales and a seeming exponential growth in charger installations......even allowing for the high initial costs; increasing competition will do interesting things to the cost of rapid charging, I think.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
It’s a bit like Ionity got together with the German manufacturers and said “how can we make EVs just as expensive to run as ICEs”?

I can’t help but think Tesla are chuckling right now about how hard their competition are making it for themselves.
Don’t they offer discounted prices for their own cars? Not sure what the discounts are.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
163 Posts
Britain's entering a very active period of change with regards to the E.V market; with booming BEV car sales and a seeming exponential growth in charger installations......even allowing for the high initial costs; increasing competition will do interesting things to the cost of rapid charging, I think.
I hope so, I hope it doesn't fo the other way, and creep up to £1/ kWh! I wonder if we'll see more promotions as it becomes more mainstream

Half-price charging when you spend £50 in-store
1000 Nectar points when you charge 5 times this month
Get your 9th charge free when you scan this code
£10 cashback when you pay with a Mastercard on a Tuesday and stand on one leg
etc

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,629 Posts
I reckon 50p a kw is going to end up being the price for above 50kw rapids. They may not be profitable even at that price though. Just a guess on my part.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I reckon 50p a kw is going to end up being the price for above 50kw rapids. They may not be profitable even at that price though. Just a guess on my part.
If demand rises and cars charge faster, that price has to make money at some point.

There's very little info around on profitability. Companies are still investing so the business plans showing profit must exist somewhere.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I don't even own an EC yet and there is little chance I'd use Ionity unless I was desperate.

65p is nuts. I could understand if there was an £8/10 per month subscription for 30p rates... But I can't seem to justify how they can charge the 65p

Also a lot of people are getting used to the idea that 150kwh chargers should cost more than 50kwh chargers.

No.... Just no. Don't start excepting this as standard practice. The only factor should be p/kwh and nothing else.

This growing acceptance that the faster the charger the more people should pay is nuts and will bite you all in the arse in years to come.

Look at the going industry... Loot boxes were evil from day one, then it got more and more out of hand.
You just paid £60 for a game and find 90% of the game is behind a alternative currency. EA then abused it as f*** and the backlash hit.
But now people say "oh its not that bad game X has loot boxes, it's only cosmetics"
No! Look at Mario on the Switch.... All cosmetics are there if you play for them, no pay wall to get what you want.
But people accept loot boxes now if they are cosmetics only - even if anti-consumer.

Say no to increased costs for faster charges. Flat fee for a KWH now before this spirals out of control.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd be interested to know just how the charging infrastructure makes money. The cost of the cables to supply 4 ultra rapids could be £20k or more, a lot more. The chargers and install £50k? And then the help line on top of that along with maintenance. You need to have people using them for many hours a day to get the unit cost of the overheads down, electricity cost will be 8p a kWh or thereabouts. I can see that Ionity wants to keep its units available for the premium cars of its owners but at some time it must bow to competition you would think.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'd be interested to know just how the charging infrastructure makes money. The cost of the cables to supply 4 ultra rapids could be £20k or more, a lot more. The chargers and install £50k? And then the help line on top of that along with maintenance. You need to have people using them for many hours a day to get the unit cost of the overheads down, electricity cost will be 8p a kWh or thereabouts. I can see that Ionity wants to keep its units available for the premium cars of its owners but at some time it must bow to competition you would think.
There's definitely money in it with the right occupancy.

If you took one location with 6 rapids in it, 8hrs out of 24 occupancy, 40kwh per hour, 50p per kWh, that's close to £1000 a day. 365 days a year. That's £365k a year. Minus £56k supplier electricity costs and then maintenance costs...

It's often been said that Petrol Stations don't make much money on the fuel sales, but they are making it work on the shop sales. I assume they'd still break even on the fuel sales. The maintenance costs on a set of rapid chargers can't be more than a set of fuel pumps and everything that goes along with running a forecourt.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There's definitely money in it with the right occupancy.

If you took one location with 6 rapids in it, 8hrs out of 24 occupancy, 40kwh per hour, 50p per kWh, that's close to £1000 a day. 365 days a year. That's £365k a year. Minus £56k supplier electricity costs and then maintenance costs...

It's often been said that Petrol Stations don't make much money on the fuel sales, but they are making it work on the shop sales. I assume they'd still break even on the fuel sales. The maintenance costs on a set of rapid chargers can't be more than a set of fuel pumps and everything that goes along with running a forecourt.
In that case were are being fleeced on many of the chargers...?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Also a lot of people are getting used to the idea that 150kwh chargers should cost more than 50kwh chargers.

No.... Just no. Don't start excepting this as standard practice. The only factor should be p/kwh and nothing else.
I agree. At the same price, the 150kWh charger is already theoretically earning 3x what the 50kWh charger does (unless a load of 50kW max charging cars are queuing up to use it)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts