Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kona64
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a little trip out to Austria next summer, spent a good coffee with the useful Better Route Planner tool

I will have a car full of skeptics and I am thinking a game plan A might be to hop between Ionitys, the 2 / 2.5hr drives between allowing me to wince at the price of them.
However it could be a safe net of that at least one of the 4 Ionitys per site will be available and working. Such that I'm not mucking about per rapid charge, of which there will be a "few".
I found a site on my route that had 10 wooooopy do

The main Q I am trying to find out, is whether a UK bank contactless will work with them, or will I have to sign up to schemes that I only find out about when stood in front, as plug share etc did not mention.
Seeing as I'm hitting F, B, NL, Lux, DE, A, and probably CH I'd rather have a main game plan with some comfort and then some plan B,C,D per site or overnight cities.

I do plan a UK motorway trip at Easter to really check out what miles per Kw I really get on such roads to use that to triple check my Euro Trip distance between charger ideas.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'd try to get a local charging card IIWY. I suspect Britain won't be popular with the continentals by then. :)

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,906 Posts
You might find that a UK bank card will be stopped for making repeated small purchases without you letting your provider know. I had a friend who was driving up the M1 at night in a very uneconomical car who was phoned at around 1:00 AM to be told that her card had been stolen but not to worry as it had been stopped - sure enough it had been and she was stranded! The irony was that she earnt a 6 figure salary and the car was worth a medium size house, but despite her trying everything from feminine charm to outright threats at the time they claimed not to be able to unstop it. I went to her rescue and she completed the journey having borrowed my credit card - clearly men are allowed to do such stupid things and nobody spotted that she clearly was not a Mr. despite being 5'2" and curvy in a feminine way.

·
Registered
2019 Kona 65Kw 2017 Outlander phev gx4hs
586 Posts
Just download the Ionity app and if Barnier and Doris sort out the differences should be no problem, if currency is a concern then Revolut card is the answer, should not be an issue apart from the Tears when you have to pay the exorbitant fees

Attachments

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh
187 Posts
I'd get a ChargePoint card. No app hassles and at 59p on Ionity a bit cheaper too.
You can install the app to see what other networks are covered as well as see charger locations.

A Maingau card would be another option.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,630 Posts
Just download the Ionity app and if Barnier and Doris sort out the differences should be no problem, if currency is a concern then Revolut card is the answer, should not be an issue apart from the Tears when you have to pay the exorbitant fees
Or a Curve card which just recharges your own credit/debit card after a fee free currency conversion - no need for another account to top up :)

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,104 Posts
Unless I’m very much mistaken, you can’t pay by contactless bank card at Ionity chargers. The ad hoc payment is done via their app, and their app is not very good.

I would get ChargePoint, Maingau and Shell Recharge RFID cards (good to have a couple of back up options).

Chargepoint are currently the cheapest I believe, (but they are a bit annoying as they take lumps of cash from your account to add to a ‘balance’, rather than just taking the exact amount that you need to pay for each time).

@electricfelix.com is the expert on this

1 - 7 of 7 Posts