Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 SR+
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that roughly half of Ionity’s UK devices are out of service. I was reading up on Maingau and I thought I’d check Zap Map to see where Ionity are sited and how likely I was to want to use one of their chargers. Lots of red statuses.

Is anyone using them regularly? Is it inconvenient (most sites still have at least 3 working devices)? Are they just executing a land-grab and they don’t care about customers until the ID3 hits the roads?

·
Registered
2020 Renault Zoe R135 Iconic
1,283 Posts
There always seems to be one broken charger at all the sites I've been to recently. But the others all seem to work so they do appear to be reliable enough.

For me, they are good enough to be my 'peace of mind' option. If I arrive and see that Ecotricity is busy or broken I know I have them to fall back on.

I'd never plan them to be my first choice charging option though. Even if they were cheaper. For high power chargers they often appear to give me a good ~10kW less than what I would often pull from a bog standard 50kW rapid charger. They seem to run painfully slowly a lot of the time.

I wonder if the out of service things you're seeing are just loss of communication since I have seen a number of them running free vend, and definitely not as many as you claim to see seem to really be out of service.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,012 Posts
I think a lot of chargers get put out of action by ignorant users hitting the emergency stop buttons when getting frustrated by a charge attempt.

I witnessed one guy a few weeks ago at an EH rapid, couldn't get the Type2 going on his big hybrid, got frustrated and just hit the big red button. When he'd gone, and just before I left, I twisted the emergency stop to get it going again. Before anybody asks, I did speak to him from a suitable social distance when he appeared to be having issues, but for obvious reasons neither of us fancied being that close to each other to try and sort it...

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh
179 Posts
I stopped at Cambridge services yesterday and out of the 4, 1 was working normally, 1 was only charging at 33 kW and the other 2 were not working at all.
The slow one made a horrible clattering fan noise after it started!

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,288 Posts
Reactions: PaulD
1 - 7 of 7 Posts