Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all.

Just read that Ionity have gone live with Plug & Charge making RF cards, credit cards and smart apps theoretically unnecessary if I understood correctly, on Porsche, Ford and Mercedes EV's.

But I saw no mention of Audi EV's. Does anyone know if 2021/22 generation Audi's will support this?

The Audi web page (about halfway down) suggests they do but dealership I asked did not know about it ....

Interested to know if it is an option. And better still has anyone used it yet? How does it perform in the real world?

·
Registered
2021 BMW iX3 Premier Pro (ordered) / Nissan Leaf 2021 40kwh (ordered)
221 Posts
I asked BMW as well, and they said all 2021/2022 models have the ability and will be activated with an OTA update....

When that's coming good only knows! I bet however that all the members of the Ionity scheme (VAG/Ford/Merc/BMW/Kia group) will have started to integrate the system with their current designs. After all it's only essential a handshake and Token that's passed over the control interface. It's a standard that's been agreed for a good while now (ISO15118) and I know the VAG ID Cars have it enabled already in some territories.

Reactions: Mkultra

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked BMW as well, and they said all 2021/2022 models have the ability and will be activated with an OTA update....

When that's coming good only knows! I bet however that all the members of the Ionity scheme (VAG/Ford/Merc/BMW/Kia group) will have started to integrate the system with their current designs. After all it's only essential a handshake and Token that's passed over the control interface. It's a standard that's been agreed for a good while now (ISO15118) and I know the VAG ID Cars have it enabled already in some territories.
Thanks Charlas, that's at least pointing the right direction.

Has anyone used it yet? Work as well as it sounds? Especially Audi drivers?

Dealerships seem clueless about it as a function let alone if it's available.

·
EV fan since 2001
46 Posts
Kyle from Out of Spec Motoring has tried a version of this on the Electrify America network in the US. Its quite flaky on the Mustang Mach E, working about 50% of the time.

It would be good if someone on the forum could make sure they have a Plug and Charge networked car and try it out. It's something I'll be seeing if my Mini that's on order could do seeing as they're a member of the IONITY group.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kyle from Out of Spec Motoring has tried a version of this on the Electrify America network in the US. Its quite flaky on the Mustang Mach E, working about 50% of the time.

It would be good if someone on the forum could make sure they have a Plug and Charge networked car and try it out. It's something I'll be seeing if my Mini that's on order could do seeing as they're a member of the IONITY group.
Exactly that Dave, if the Audi link and extract is correct (and to be honest a lot of what is published on Audi.UK is inaccurate or outdated and poorly briefed to dealerships) then it should be effective on 55's, and all E-trons to date. The only one I didn't see referenced is the GT.

It went live EU wide only a couple of days back but has been across mid Europe for some time. Someone must have tried it by now.

Speaking as someone who's GT is slated for delivery May (but I suspect will slide from that) this appears a genuine game changer. A lot of the articles I read and Youtube videos made, tend to suggest that payment mechanisms tend be a significant failure point. If the card, phone and all that bumpf could be eliminated, it surely must improve the frustrations and TAT of charging.

Look forward to an Audi owner feeding back experiences and making a Youtube video :)

EDIT: just looked on Youtube. There are in fact two videos on Plug & Charge but both in German. Makes sense, they had it a while now.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Morning all, just widening the question from Audi GT to well, ....... anything really.

Anyone managed to use the Plug&Charge and can report back good or bad?

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe it only works in Porsche Taycan, Ford Mustang Mach-E and Mercedes-Benz EQS
Is what I feared Atsoc. But many thanks for letting me know.

You would think being so close in format to the Taycan that it would have the function but alas not.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting debate on the Ioniq 5 forum re plug&charge.

Seems they 'will' at some point support. And apparently are a co-owner of Ionity.

The debate goes on to highlight that VW does not support plug&charge but is similarly, a co-owner in Electrify America.

Strange world. But interesting article worth a scan read.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts