Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just checked on Kia Charge and its available there too, pity that it looks like its a 12 month commitment, would be good to turn on/off on a monthly basis for holidays (especially continental).

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just checked on Kia Charge and its available there too, pity that it looks like its a 12 month commitment, would be good to turn on/off on a monthly basis for holidays (especially continental).
Yep exactly what I was thinking, if it was monthly it would make cross europe trips as easy as Tesla Supercharging and at a competitive rate, but on an annual contract will have to really think about the costings. as still not that many ionity in UK

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona Premium SE MY20.5
33 Posts
I don't have the ability to charge at home, so currently mainly charging on BP Pulse 50kW at 15p, the nearest chargers to me are actually 4 Ionity ones, but never used due to the price. Just trying to work out if this deal is worth it for me, how much quicker will my charges be in a Kona, is it worth paying the extra 10p a kW?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have the ability to charge at home, so currently mainly charging on BP Pulse 50kW at 15p, the nearest chargers to me are actually 4 Ionity ones, but never used due to the price. Just trying to work out if this deal is worth it for me, how much quicker will my charges be in a Kona, is it worth paying the extra 10p a kW?
I found a 10-80% charge is normally about 10-15mins quicker on Ionity than a Pulse 50 (But the battery needs to be hot at the start fo charging to see the speed gains otherwise its only about 5mins quicker)

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ionity 69p Kwh on PAYG
Ionity 65p Kwh on Octopus Energy RFID Card

So at 25p Kwh you only need to use more than 30kwh a month to cover the cost of the £11.25 subscription after that it starts to reduce the charging cost.

300Kwh a month would cost £11.25 + £75.00 = £86.25. = 28.75p Kwh including the Fee so thats not too shaby if you think you will use 300kw on Ionity a month (About 5 10-90% Charges)

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
369 Posts
Ionity 69p Kwh on PAYG
Ionity 65p Kwh on Octopus Energy RFID Card

So at 25p Kwh you only need to use more than 30kwh a month to cover the cost of the £11.25 subscription after that it starts to reduce the charging cost.

300Kwh a month would cost £11.25 + £75.00 = £86.25. = 28.75p Kwh including the Fee so thats not too shaby if you think you will use 300kw on Ionity a month (About 5 10-90% Charges)
Ionity is £0.58 / kWh when using Chargepoint RFID (free of charge, no subscription needed). Just in case some one doesnt know this.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ionity is £0.58 / kWh when using Chargepoint RFID (free of charge, no subscription needed). Just in case some one doesnt know this.
Cheers got a few Chargepoint Fobs sitting in the glovebox not been used for a couple of years will have to see if they are still active

Reminds me I think its time I sorted out the cards in my card holder.

(Yes my Press Card is an EV Charge card, its RFID and set to activate Engine chargers)

·
Registered
417 Posts
The downside with Chargepoint is that they add £10 to your account when you dip below £5 left in your account. Thanks to lockdown and getting a larger range EV, they've had £13.50 sat in their coffers since last September ;-) But I find them to be super competitive on some pricing, Alfa Power for example is 10p per kWh. Kia Charge its 35p (Alfa themselves 25p) at one of my towns local rapids.

EDIT: They are also great if you are in the Apple ecosystem if you use Wallet and have an Apple Watch, you can load your card on there for maximum laziness.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The downside with Chargepoint is that they add £10 to your account when you dip below £5 left in your account. Thanks to lockdown and getting a larger range EV, they've had £13.50 sat in their coffers since last September ;-) But I find them to be super competitive on some pricing, Alfa Power for example is 10p per kWh. Kia Charge its 35p (Alfa themselves 25p) at one of my towns local rapids.

EDIT: They are also great if you are in the Apple ecosystem if you use Wallet and have an Apple Watch, you can load your card on there for maximum laziness.
Thanks thats really good to know, I just checked our Chargepoint account, have not used it for a couple of years at least (Since Instavolt was free). Good times says we charged up 2 Megawatts at a cost of £0

We have a few Alfa power around have skirted them due to the cost but at 10p Kwh thats worth having,.. Could not find our Chargepoint fobs think they got thrown a couple of years ago, but still have our iphones registered with it to use

We had issues with Chargepoint when Instavolt were free, The billing system they use seems a bit freaky at times billing in advance for estimated usage. Hopefully thats changed now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts