1 - 20 of 295 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
46 Posts
They must be boycotted so other suppliers don’t think they can follow suit.
Supply and demand.
If they want high profit margin% from low turnover, fine.
What can’t happen is that the customer can’t let them have high profit margin % with high turnover.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's confirmed on their website - for UK, 69p/kWh.

So at motorway speeds, say 4 miles per kWh, 17.25p per mile, at 3 miles per kWh, that's 23p per mile.

It's more expensive than a reasonably efficient ICE, even if you fueled it at expensive motorway services.

On a positive note at those prices the chargers are only going to be used by those drivers that really do need to charge up, so you'd hope be available when you need them, if you're prepared to pay.

·
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, I estimated at least 17p per mile for the i3, or roughly £18 to charge from 20% to 90%.

Makes Tesla Supercharging look even more attractive.

·
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
332 Posts
This looks like a crude hook to make purchase of a shiny ev with a charging package from an ionity invester.
I wonder if as investors Hyundai / Kia will be able to offer a cheaper deal?
I had high hopes for continental travel, now dashed, as I've no intention of paying that unit rate!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
They must have decided they don't need any casual use. I can't see anyone without a contract using them unless in a dire emergency. They've pretty much eliminated one of their biggest current markets - the Model 3 - at a stroke.
That's exactly their intention.
"...the joint venture between the BMW Group, Mercedes-Benz AG, the Ford Motor Company, and the Volkswagen Group with Audi and Porsche"

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Hello fossil fuel prices...

That said, nobody is seriously going to be relying on electricity at 69p per kWh to make an EV viable are they? They’re going to be charging at home and the ionity’s and the like will be for longer less frequent trips? Certainly at that price anyway.

The market will decide if they’ve made a hash of it.

·
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
223 Posts
Fair to say the reaction on social media has "not been positive"... if they've got half an ounce of sense they'll have a rethink surely?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Awaiting the headlines in the usual scrotty rags people call newspapers saying it will cost you more to charge a BEV than just keep your ICE car, and a full fill up will be over £45 for ~300 miles, vs doing more miles for the same cost in your 45 MPG diesel.

It will just turn into another way to 'put people off' who can't be bothered to do any research of their own, and it will get regurgitated, in forums, and conversations, and YouTube videos etc.

It is a real shame that they couldn't just offer a sensible price while the network is expanding ,and EV use is just starting to grow. Yes I know they are a business, and they need to make back their investment etc. it just doesn't help the public adoption who can't charge at home.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
I think the electric felix link in the earlier post is pretty close to what’s going on.

What’s the betting a new German EV will come with the option of ‘knockdown’ pricing as part of a subscription or incentive, or you can pay as you go at 69p per kWh.

Perhaps this will morph into an alternative supercharging network for non Tesla’s?

1 - 20 of 295 Posts