Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
181 - 200 of 303 Posts
They are going to have pull their fingers out and get on street cheap charging going or it will create a divide betweens haves and have nots.
I've long predicted that any property (houses or flats) without some form off-street charging to become far less easy to sell - or perhaps those with will become considerably more valuable?

I've heard all sorts of claims about the numbers of properties with off street parking facility, but I have no idea if the quite large figures I read are correct. This seems the most accurate, suggesting that at least 34% of households have no suitable off-street parking that could be used. (Pg37).

In 2010, 40% of dwellings had use of a garage, 26% had other off street parking, 32% relied on street parking, and 2% of homes had no parking provision whatsoever. The type of parking provision varied considerably by tenure – 73% of local authority dwellings relied on street parking compared with 20% of owner occupied homes. Similarly, 54% of owner occupied dwellings had a garage compared with just 5-6% of social sector dwellings
I suspect that of the 26% of 'other off street parking' a quite large proportion will be in spaces that are not easly connected to the properties electricity supply. And further into the future, when there is more than one EV per household will they all have access charging when needed?

@tom66 , if you do cost analysis / business plan you cannot just "assume £50,000 for a single 350kW charger". Please, please - you need to check and add up all numbers first. Otherwise people come with those justifications that charger is just a meter dispensing energy.

I don't really have real numbers but:
US ICCT estimates networked 350 charger to cost ~$140,000
How much it costs to get grid upgraded / line laid? According to Ionity it could be as much as 2Mil EUR - I remember it was quoted in one of the interviews. Ionity had to back out from that location.
And (in some cases) you need to construct the site - costs for ground work / resurfacing?
Analysis / planning / documentation for building work? Do you think people on this forum did all that for free for Ionity?
And where are operating costs: customer support team, IT (networking, website, payments system), accounting, audit, legal, marketing? Do you know that if you are accepting card payments you need to do security audit on your system yearly and pass the test?

If you think that it all costs £50,000 and rest is just the profit then... I wish you build a new charging network for us all :)

They are going to have pull their fingers out and get on street cheap charging going or it will create a divide betweens haves and have nots.
So maybe in 5 years once this government is gone.
It nothing to do with needing a replacement government, it needs most of the public to think their next car may be a EV, and hence be willing for their taxes and road space to be spent/used on many charging post on each road. (This includes people who will never be able to buy a car under 5 years old.)

I expect a long time before that supermarkets will be completing for our custom based on clusters of reasonablely priced rapids. Once long range EV are standard along with fully functional 100kw charging many commuters will only need 30 minutes on a rapid one or twice a week, eg the sort of time many people spend at the supermarket.

Workplace charging is also a large part of the solution for people without driveways, but once again needs many workers asking (and willing to pay) for it. The changes to company car tax may result in management wishing to be able to charge at work, and hence be willing to spend the time sorting it out.

@tom66 , if you do cost analysis / business plan you cannot just "assume £50,000 for a single 350kW charger". Please, please - you need to check and add up all numbers first. Otherwise people come with those justifications that charger is just a meter dispensing energy.
Note that I did not specify £50,000 for the whole install, just the cost of one charging post. If you are building a station with multiple chargers then the cost of everything you mention begins to amortise over

You can buy 50kW CCS stations from Alibaba for about £10k now ex works, it's not unbelievable that a 350kW charger (in a few years at least) would be around 5x as expensive.

I agree with the rest of what you are saying; as with everything, the cost will scale with volume ... but getting the volume is the challenge.

@Kingpleb1 Every new build apartment block must have EV charging. Ours has 4 chargers, and I bought the space in front of one of them. Unfortunately it’s proved so unreliable in the first month that I’m going back to ICE until everything stabilises a bit, but charging does exist

I also predict that in two years when I go back to EV, I will still be the only person on the development with an EV...

That's no use to me, I don't want the complication of a rex/hybrid and paying rapid prices for juice
Buy a house with a drive then?!

I’d quite like a helicopter to commute in, but like a lot of the popularion my house doesn’t have a helipad...

Seriously, there are advantages and disadvantages to living in a flat or apartment, bt one of the downsides might be that owning and running an EV isn’t as easy or as cheap as it could otherwise be.

What it has to do with Ionity though, I’m not sure.

I expect that is what we will get once EH is replaced at service stations. Many rapids in a cluster at the main service station with pricing like Instavolt, then a few very fast and expensive Ionity charger at the fual station.
Eventually 50kW chargers will he phased out in MSA situations. They are just not fast enough and as battery sizes increase the proportion of cars. I imagine 30 mins is the average stop for ICE users. For bigger BEVs that’s only 60 miles additional range which just isn’t enough. 150kw for 25 mins adds another 175 miles.

The other thought is that stopping to charge will go down. I would only charge up on an 180+ mile journey it I was sure I could access a 7kW charger at my destination.

If that’s all true then the total price impact of using mega fast chargers on your personal average £/kWh will be negligible

The make of chargers Instavolt uses can be paired to share power and give about 120kw if only one charger in the pair is in use. Part of the power can also be given to a fast charging car if a slow charging car is taking less then 33kw, so for example one car could get about 30kw and the other car about 90kw.

Four pairs of chargers can also be connected on a cabinet that can gives additional power when both the chargers in the pair are charging fast charging cars. The limit being the curant that the uncooled charging cable can take. Hence not able to reach the 350kw that Ionity can, but able to go over 100kw at a lower equipment cost.

(At present most Instavolt sites have the older model of charger that can't do the above, but they have a few new sites with paired chargers.)

@Kingpleb1 Every new build apartment block must have EV charging. Ours has 4 chargers, and I bought the space in front of one of them. Unfortunately it’s proved so unreliable in the first month that I’m going back to ICE until everything stabilises a bit, but charging does exist

I also predict that in two years when I go back to EV, I will still be the only person on the development with an EV...
That's new Devs though!
Older places get nothing like that :(

Buy a LEAF and use the dealers charger for free then.....
About the only reason to buy a Leaf, and free garage charging won't be around for ever.

Reactions: Kingpleb1
It nothing to do with needing a replacement government, it needs most of the public to think their next car may be a EV, and hence be willing for their taxes and road space to be spent/used on many charging post on each road.
That will require a massive workforce at some point. I think the last time we did something like that in the UK was the natural gas conversion in the 70s which consumed enormous numbers of gas fitters. With current labour shortages and potentially tighter immigration, that's going to be quite a feat to repeat.

That will require a massive workforce at some point. I think the last time we did something like that in the UK was the natural gas conversion in the 70s which consumed enormous numbers of gas fitters. With current labour shortages and potentially tighter immigration, that's going to be quite a feat to repeat.
The Tories won't do that anyway. They will want the private sector to do it and pass some weak laws to that effect.

See the mandatory chargers on new homes, even though many of them are useless. Cost to the buyer of course.

69p is bad but if you think about it, To charge your car in Central london via Payg 7kw with source london you will pay 7.3pence per min. Thats £4.38 an hour and £13.14 for 3 hours to charge 22kw zoe Which equates to 59p per kilowatt CRAZY!!!! I dont think people have realised that its 59p. Source london have hidden there high price by charging by the minute.

Slap one on the front of the house that has no driveway so that he owner can trail a cable over the pavement if they happen to get a space on the road near enough to their house.

There is a thread about it on here somewhere.

I'd expect any Government to use private contractors for such an infrastructure project, but the labour problems exist whoever runs it.
No I mean they well expect private companies to pay for it.

Why does anyone think that owning an EV entitles them to a big government handout?
I know the government has committed to reducing CO2, etc, but please just get over yourselves - you chose an EV and have nowhere to charge it? Well you didn't think it through.
Maybe they should teach forward planning at school (not that anyone seems to listen to teachers these days).

Sorry, rant over :oops:

Why does anyone think that owning an EV entitles them to a big government handout?
I know the government has committed to reducing CO2, etc, but please just get over yourselves - you chose an EV and have nowhere to charge it? Well you didn't think it through.
Maybe they should teach forward planning at school (not that anyone seems to listen to teachers these days).

Sorry, rant over :oops:
Alternate view...for a large battery EV, price has gone up seven fold overnight.

I know the government has committed to reducing CO2, etc
The government made a really important commitment that it says it is dedicated to, and needs you to buy an expensive electric vehicle to deliver, and you can't see why the government ought to send a few bob your way?

Another reason being that if the government doesn't help it will create even more inequality, something the government also claims to be against.

181 - 200 of 303 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.