Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the cheapest way of accessing Ionity in the UK These days? Everyone jumped on Maingau and then their prices went up. I've personally been using my Chargepoint RFID But it's still quite pricey at 58p.

I remember someone saying the Jaguar app let you pay a fixed amount to use them but I just tried downloading and it instead claims it would cost a whopping 92p per kWh!

It seems all the cheap options are disappearing. So what is the cheapest at the moment? Or am I better sticking with Chargepoint?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
747 Posts
It does indeed seem like all the cheap options are disappearing. Electric Felix does a webpage on this which may be interestingly, but there isn't much more to offer from that I don't think, certainly for the UK.

Unless you have access to the manufacturer's schemes, I don't know of anything better. And congratulations, looks like you've discovered a new way of paying even more...92p/kWh is the highest I've seen yet!

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,152 Posts
This is obviously not much use for people who already have a car that they are happy with and intend to keep using, but Onto car subscriptions now come with a Shell Recharge card which provide free charging at Ionity locations across Europe.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is obviously not much use for people who already have a car that they are happy with and intend to keep using, but Onto car subscriptions now come with a Shell Recharge card which provide free charging at Ionity locations across Europe.
Oh I know. I have a Zoe from them. I just don't think they would appreciate me charging my other cars at their expense!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Public charging is a joke in this country, honestly. Anything above 45-50p/kWh means you're paying about the same per mile as you would for diesel. I'm glad I will (hopefully) almost never have to rely on it. The supermarkets have the right idea by installing free fast chargers and reasonably priced rapid chargers for customers, although none of them have gotten to my area yet. >_>

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,528 Posts
Oh I know. I have a Zoe from them. I just don't think they would appreciate me charging my other cars at their expense!
How many electric cars have got? o_O

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,664 Posts
I think ChargePoint is still the cheapest way to access Ionity on a casual basis, if you aren’t a member via one of the hire schemes or own an ID.3 1st.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many electric cars have you got? o_O
Probably shouldn't have said 'my' - For now the Zoe is the only one to truly call mine (or at least has exclusive use of). We've got other cars in the family which are all shared around between us though, and there's generally a car club vehicle or two parked around the back that I'm working on or using for those longer trips that would throw me over my ONTO mileage allowance.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It might me a glitch on the app but Chargepoint app is currently saying 58p/kWh at ionity!
No glitch. That's right and exactly what I'm billed right now with my Chargepoint RFID tag compared to Ionity's own 69p.

I was just looking for cheaper options and followed a lead that someone else suggested - The Jaguar app. That came back saying 92p/kWh and not the price I was originally told about.

·
Registered
448 Posts
No glitch. That's right and exactly what I'm billed right now with my Chargepoint RFID tag compared to Ionity's own 69p.
Incidentally Shell Recharge (NewMotion) is 61p/kWh, so cheaper than Ionity direct but not as cheap as Chargepoint.
Maingau is currently about 66p/kWh at current exchange rates.

I was just looking for cheaper options and followed a lead that someone else suggested - The Jaguar app. That came back saying 92p/kWh and not the price I was originally told about.

View attachment 139785
If you can afford a Jag, you can afford to pay a premium for higher quality electrons... maybe?

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,528 Posts
If you can afford a Jag, you can afford to pay a premium for higher quality electrons... maybe?
You don’t get to be able to afford a Jag by unnecessarily wasting your money ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
With Chargepoint, do you need to have more credit in your Chargepoint account than the charge will cost, or will it auto top-up?

It can be expensive at Ionity (even at the reduced rate) and Chargepoint normally only tops up once the balance goes under £5.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
With Chargepoint, do you need to have more credit in your Chargepoint account than the charge will cost, or will it auto top-up?

It can be expensive at Ionity (even at the reduced rate) and Chargepoint normally only tops up once the balance goes under £5.
If you’ve got the auto top up option enabled, then you can just use it with whatever credit you have and it will take more after the charge.

So, it’s not pre-pay if that’s what you meant?

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I think ChargePoint is still the cheapest way to access Ionity on a casual basis, if you aren’t a member via one of the hire schemes or own an ID.3 1st.
Anyone with any of the ID cars is entitled to a year subscription-free on the ‘middle’ WeCharge tariff which makes Ionity 45p.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
Anyone with any of the ID cars is entitled to a year subscription-free on the ‘middle’ WeCharge tariff which makes Ionity 45p.
Yes, I believe so, but if you don’t own an Ionity group car the ChargePoint App/RFID is the cheapest way I know for casual use.

I’ve got a 1st edition that came with a 1 year/2000 kWh credit, so that’s pretty cheap!

I think after one year it will default to the same deal as the standard ID deal.

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you’ve got the auto top up option enabled, then you can just use it with whatever credit you have and it will take more after the charge.

So, it’s not pre-pay if that’s what you meant?
Bit off topic but is this also the case for BP Pulse? The app makes it seem as if I have to top-up pre-charge which is annoying and involves guesswork.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
Bit off topic but is this also the case for BP Pulse? The app makes it seem as if I have to top-up pre-charge which is annoying and involves guesswork.
I still use the membership option on that one, so not sure.

I don’t think any of these Apps pre-authorise though, they don’t know how much you’re going to spend, so as long as you have something in there it should work. If it doesn’t then you could top up at that point I suppose?

·
Registered
448 Posts
The old Polar app would start a charge as long as you had some credit, I think it had a minimum top-up of £5.

Has anybody tried an Instavolt RFID on the Ionity points? I get the impression they are a subset of Chargepoint rather than being purely rebranded Chargepoint cards, so assume they won't work, but curious.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts