Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Super excited to see the new features coming to iOS 14 for EVs.

Looks like it can get state of charge from your car to work out when you need to stop to charge.

Also supported in CarPlay.

I’ll be interested to see if it will be possible to add this to older cars.

Link to news story with screenshots: Apple Maps to introduce EV Routing to help minimize range anxiety - Roadshow

·
Super Moderator
11,685 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the Sat nav in a lot of older EVs completely unaware of the state of charge of the car?
Both i3 and LEAF put up a warning if the destination is out of range.

My i3 adjusts the range estimate if there is a Navigation route active.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Not sure why you would want to stop the charge before 100%. As we all know, EV batteries hold around 10% in reserve so in reality you are only charging to 90%. Charging less is not going to help the life much unless you intend to keep the car for 200,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think we need to wait and see the implementation. Apart from Tesla I don’t think any manufacturer does a good implementation of a multi-charge-stop itinerary. Plan an 800km journey in an i3 or a Leaf, does it calculate a route with multiple charging stops based on the car’s configuration?

My Renault app for Zoe is supposed to do that, but fails to deliver on the car’s side of the task.

i currently use CarPlay, because sometimes I switch to other cars and having a consistent navigation system is wonderful (not having to switch from Mercedes style to Renault style to BMW style each time); so I welcome the new EV features in iOS. I just... need to upgrade the phone, the SE is becoming outdated it seems ;(

Edit: Correction, it seems SE is supported.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,511 Posts
i3 does not. Even if it did, I wouldn’t trust that is has up-to-date information on charger locations and availability.

Sounds to me like what iOS14 promises could be a good first step, but I suspect that a) Google will soon implement something more powerful and with more data, b) dedicated services like ZapMap and ABRP will still be needed unless you are using chargers such as Ionity and c) Google will eventually develop or just buy out services like ZapMap and ABRP and integrate the data into Google Maps.

·
Registered
456 Posts
@Bill N, I don't think it's a competition between apple and google on the in-vehicle maps front. Certainly a maps war would be the last thing that would decide, for me at least, which platform I will use, as there are other features that determine the feasibility. When I got my ZE50, I was disappointed with Renault's map implementation, so I switched to CarPlay because I use an iPhone and chose Apple Maps because it's a very close implementation to TomTom, which I find the most usable for me; plus the privacy aspect. If i'd have had an Android phone, probably I'd have switched to Android Auto / Google Maps. If Google / ZapMap offer the same service, it will be beneficial for all EV owners!

I went through the description of EV/auto related features highlighted by the announcement:

===
Electric vehicle routing
Easily plan trips with your electric vehicle. Maps automatically adds charging stops along your route and even accounts for charging time when calculating the ETA. Once you add your electric vehicle on your iPhone, Maps can keep track of things like the current charge and charger type to give you the best route for your vehicle.
===
It seems that only upcoming BMW and Ford EVs will support the reading of current charge and only maybe in the future other manufacturers will be included; I believe the system needs access to the CanBUS to work. I hope the other features (route planning) work by entering an EV's configuration in the Maps app, instead of choosing from a predetermined group of vehicles...

===
Congestion zones
Major cities like London and Paris have congestion zones to help reduce traffic in dense areas. Maps lets you see congestion zone tolls on the map and can route you around them if you like.
===
Not all cities/countries will follow the rule of "EVs can enter congestion charges", so this is rather useful.

===
Speed cameras
Maps lets you know when you’re approaching speed cameras and red-light cameras along your route. You can also see where individual cameras are located on the map.
===
I believe this is illegal in Europe (defo in Germany*), so this feature may not be part of the package; UK?
* This feature is available on the older gen Zoe (not sure why), but not in the new generation; Hyunday does not offer this service in Germany at all, although it does in other areas.

===
Unlock your car
Simply tap your door handle to unlock your car with NFC.
===
Start your car
You can start your vehicle by placing your iPhone on a reader or wireless charger inside the car.
===
Share with Messages
Adding car keys to Wallet enables capabilities beyond those of physical keys. Sharing keys with friends or family is easy with Messages.
===
Set car key types
You can set keys to Unlock and Drive to have full access to your car. Or you can choose Restricted Driving, enabling them to unlock and start the car, but with limits that can affect acceleration, top speed, traction control, and even stereo volume — perfect for your teen driver.
===
Starts with BMW 5 series (non-EV), there's no other "NCF enabled" car out there.

===
New app categories
CarPlay supports third-party parking, EV charging, and quick food-ordering apps. App developers have access to a variety of tools and templates that enable them to provide a smarter, safer way to use iPhone in the car.
===
This would be great, because the current system seems lacklustre in terms of what it can do; albeit, the focus of the system is to "drive safely and without being interrupted", but parking, EV charging and food stuff are welcome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts