Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This may be old news now, but the latest iOS update apparently includes a revision to the 'Maps' app which allows you to include charging stations on your route, filtered to your charger type - this should translate to Apple Carplay too.

Not tested but I'll be giving it a go later.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,383 Posts
I had a look when I upgraded to 14. It only works with compatible car, I can't figure out how it would work with a 64 Leaf 24.

Why can't they have it like ABRP? enter current SoC and plan the route for me.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
669 Posts
It's part of a wider initiative to work with car makers. The 'support' will take the form of a manufacturer/vehicle enabler App that will be added to the App Store in due course. Whether Nissan would choose to support an older model, no idea, but I'd expevct that we'll see these starting to appear for current models in the next few months.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Google Maps has had this for a while but it's not great. Still can't beat the dedicated sites/apps.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,573 Posts
I posted this in a different thread earlier - apparently this is new to Google Maps but I haven’t tried it.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,642 Posts
@Dion Rust I think they do even now, all you have to do is: zoom in. The problem is have to know where to zoom in..... :devilish:

Reactions: Dion Rust

·
Registered
Leaf e+
188 Posts
When the final iOS14 dropped, the EV routing capability was not there, nor was in any of the beta's as I signed up specifically to see what was involved...

Looks like there is still nothing out there for it - as I was looking to see what was involved for manufacturers. It doe's not make sense that it's 'automatic' given all the controls around privacy Apple are implementing.

The most I could glean so far is EV routing will be all API based through TomTom. How they are aggregating their data for elevation / weather / comsumption I am not sure.

·
Registered
496 Posts
From what I understood, Apple Maps EV routing is only available with some 2021 BMW models. Apple Maps/CarPlay needs access to can-bus to determine state of charge, plug types and max charging speeds; currently only the latest BMW (not the i3) and future Mustang-e will sport this capability. Apple does not want to maintain a database with vehicles and their possible plug types and speeds, and I don't blame them - the car could provide this info already.

Once Apple Maps gets access to that data, you can just instruct it to take you to your destination and it should automatically calculate when you need to stop for charging and for how long. It should also be able to re-route you through a new set of charging stations should you drive off into the wrong direction. Apple Maps routing is based on TomTom information, indeed; though the instructions are not the same as TomTom.

Since most manufacturers have limited transfer of information between the canbus and the infotaiment system (I guess security issues), it means that Apple needs to convince the manufacturers to change software, hence I doubt we'll see many older EV models capable of being able to run Apple Maps with EV routing.

In addition, I understood that Apple will be using OpenChargeMap data, which may not always contain correct information, or even well structured data. So it's gonna be a slightly better half-baked solution.

·
Registered
Leaf e+
188 Posts
@evescu do you have any source to back that it's using a connection with the vehicle to get that data?

Whilst I do not doubt that for the SoC, I suspect the rest of the data is coming from TomTom's databases of Models, connectors etc. You're right that Apple are not maintaining that - TomTom are.

What leads me to believe it's not a wired car integration point is this Apple Support article which makes me think it's enabled by a vehicle manufacturer updating their app to integrate into Apple Maps.

What's interesting however, in digging around the public Apple Developer documentation, I am unable to find anything that talks about EV routing, and how it integrates... I was curious if 3rd parties could develop apps to unlock the EV routing capability in Apple Maps, or provide a more 'manual' way to provide the data it needs to route effectively.

·
Registered
496 Posts
@evescu do you have any source to back that it's using a connection with the vehicle to get that data?
No I don't have any public source for it, nor something I could share visually or in any other way. I guess it would go on the speculation/rumour side, but basically discussions with people in the automotive side.

It is the first time that I see a description from Apple of how Maps with EV routing should work, which is in stark contrast with what I've heard from people in the auto industry.

I know Zoe has the My Renault app that allows guidance through charging stations (and it works ok ish), but it only has two options currently:
  • send to Google Maps - works well*, but you have no info on state of charge
  • send to vehicle - it doesn't send the last leg of the journey though, which sucks
The main reason is that Apple Maps guidance does not support multi-leg journeys. Maps in ios14 still doesn't allow multi-stop journeys, so I don't see how Apple got confident to write those instructions.

*I just don't like Google Maps navigation and instructions, but probably it takes some getting use to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts