Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been meaning to try and trade in the Model X this year, which is now postponed a little. Don't need all the space and frankly could do with a smaller car, which would be fine for our needs.

I'd look at picking up either an iPace or M3 Performance as there are lots of good examples around on the second hand market.

I really want to try something different for 18 months, until the Model Y turns up.

I can pick up a decent low mileage M3 Performance for around £50k. But an iPace HSE is going to cost around £57k, is slower and doesn't have access to the Supercharging network, which is going to be very annoying when it comes to touring.

Any thoughts welcome. :)

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,031 Posts
I’ve only driven the M3P but I’d say if you don’t need a hatchback go for that. The SuC network just makes longer journeys so hassle free.

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, although I'm looking for points about the iPace I may have missed.

The iPace wins on boot space but loses on frunk space.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,961 Posts
Is the motorway range on the IPace sufficient?

There's also the lower priced etron with just the 300 bhp.

Slum it in a second hand Model S? Slightly smaller but much cheaper than either an IPace or the Etron.

Plumb the depths with a Leaf 60 as they're banging them out at £30k ish to get shot of them? 18 months with one of those and the Y will seem even more awesome :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well - if you're going to be in a Model Y in a year and a half or so, maybe the Jag being different is a good enough reason? When you're sitting in the front, the Model Y is going to basically seem like the same car as the 3, just a bit taller.

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the motorway range on the IPace sufficient?
Yes it is - the problem is EU charging infrastructure. The French high power chargers are all offline (and very expensive when they’re working).

I’m tempted to call around the JLR dealers and see who’s going to give me an amazing deal on an ex-demo Model.

In the iPace’s favour is that it will be easier to drive as it’s higher up.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
This looks like quite a fair comparison. The M3 is deceptively spacious. How much can you get an Ipace for and is that entry level? What do you expect to get for your X?

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
iPaces start at £45k and £57k for the HSE version.

Cheapest M3 Performance is £48k - which is a bargain really.

I’d probably go for the HSE iPace, but it’s a lot more than the Tesla.

As this is a stop gap I guess the real question is which one will depreciate least? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
3,939 Posts
That’s hard to say at the moment I fear.

I had an iPace on an extended test drive (HSE) and it was a very nice place to be and great to drive. It certainly had a ‘sense of occasion-ness’ to it.

Given your requirement for Euro motorway charging though, it would have to be the Tesla?

Mind you, the most sensible thing for you to do is stick with the Model X, but I suspect you know that.:)

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mind you, the most sensible thing for you to do is stick with the Model X, but I suspect you know that.:)
Yeah, but it’s huge.

I guess my temptation is I can swap it out for an M3 with the latest technology and super fast charging.

In everyday use the M3 (even LR) is plenty fast enough.

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the I-pace's secret sauce is when you take it off road. It seems to be a very capable vehicle. That doesn't matter to most people, but it will to some.
Good for the grouse shooters amongst us. :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I had an iPace on an extended test drive (HSE) and it was a very nice place to be and great to drive. It certainly had a ‘sense of occasion-ness’ to it.
I agree, nice interior and a comfortable and quiet ride. The M3P is a bit noisy and borderline firm.

However there isn't much in it for space, the iPace is not much bigger inside and the boot is quite limited. Access is better of course.

You already know about charging a Tesla and the M3 can be quicker than the X, so that is a big plus. My time with an iPace was iffy charging-wise. It is inefficient, so you need to charge a bigger battery more often at slower speeds, not a great combination.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I considered and test drove both. The only real advantage I could see in the iPace was easier access to the boot space but that really was it. It was nice to drive and the handling is better than you would expect from looking at it. You need a lot of added cost extras to bring it up to the standard M3P spec. I drove the M3P second and my mind was made up within half an hour. It is, IMHO, much more of a driver's car and a lot more car for the money. Faster, sharper handling, prettier, more efficient and cheaper. And the ride is fine. It is now sitting in my garage. I also suspect that the residuals will be better but that is an educated guess.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I too am torn. Plan to travel across Europe in the next couple of years once retired. Model Y is number 1 at the moment purely on charger network. I-pace, Etron, EQC, Mach-E all look good but relatively inefficient. CCS charger network looks more convoluted than what we have in the UK today.
Network may change in a couple of years but with Ionity pricing it would be cheaper to buy a dirty fossil and be cheaper to run. Filling an Etron for 50-60 euros for 200 miles range is a no from me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
E-tron is unacceptably inefficient so it did not even make my shortlist. @cah197, test drive a Model 3, then please report back.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
815 Posts
I’ve driven an iPace, but not a Model 3.
That would seem to be the logical starting place then, CoViD-19 notwithstanding. Drive both and see how you feel about them.

Personally, I'd probably pick the I-Pace for the air suspension, hatchback, and (in my opinion) better looks. You've got to weigh what's important to you though. You have to live with whichever you choose for a couple of years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts