Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to buy my first EV later this year and the iPace is very much in the frame as also the Model X (Y if it comes out by then), eTron and a couple of others.

i am specifically looking for a 'big' SUV-ish ev and hence these.

those of you who own the iPace, how does it stack against the Tesla, especially in terms of real world range, charging network and times? we are a family of five, all tall ...how does inside space and legroom stack?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
The Y won't come to the UK this year. Or next year either.

Just to make your choice a bit simpler. :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I understand the X has much more space, legroom and capacity than the iPace. It can also tow up to 2250kg. EPA range for the X is 258 - 328 miles depending on model. EPA range for the iPace is 234 miles and it is a lot less efficient. You also have access to the Tesla supercharger network with the X. The X is more expensive than the iPace though.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
867 Posts
The european president of my company has an I-Pace.

Inside it's more snug up front than my Model 3, back seats maybe a fraction more spacious in the I-pace. nowhere near the X, which is a much larger car.

He has struggled badly with the I-Pace, with a journey from Greenock to Glossop taking over 7 hours during the winter. The I-Pace was returning around 2mi/kWh, and charges relatively slowly - peak charge rate is at very best 107kW, but realistically rarely greater than 70kW even on Ionity. That means in excess of 1hr charge time from 5%-80%.

A few weeks later it died completely and had to be collected on a low-loader from our company car park. The 12V battery had gone flat and it was not possible to access the vehicle at all. According to the dealer it was a bug that was fixed by applying a software update (dealer-only. I understand that some I-Pace software updates can now be delivered OTA, but not all?). I do believe that some of the updates since he made that journey have increased the available battery capacity, improved the accuracy of the battery gauge (previously people reported in excess of 20 miles after hitting 0%) and improved efficiency, so it should be better now - certainly carwow achieved in excess of 200 miles from a full charge.

Real world range and charging of the model X is head-and-shoulders above the I-Pace. The X can charge at a peak rate of 225kW (realistically >120kW on most superchargers so long as unshared and higher on Ionity), and real world returns closer to 3mi/kWh. In a model X LR you should realistically be able to count on 3-4 hours of motorway journey from a full charge, followed by another 2 hours from 20-25 minutes charging stop.

Every fast charger that can service the I-Pace can serve the model X (assuming you're talking about new, and thus CCS-compatible X), but you will always have Tesla Superchargers on top. Every additional charger for the I-pace is an additional charger for the X - Every additional Tesla supercharger is an additional charger for the X, but NOT the I-Pace. Supercharger currently appears to be the fastest-expanding >100kW charging network in the UK.

Ultimately, however, it might be that it depends on where you're coming from. If you're a long-time merc/audi/bmw owner you might find the way that Tesla do things to be not to your taste. You might love it. Go, sit in, see what works for you - what's "best" on paper may just not feel right for you.

Saw you have another thread which also mentions the etron - the etron is shorter ranged, but it has charging performance on its side. A 5-80% charge on an ionity charger for the etron takes less than 30 minutes, so with the etron you have a smaller initial range, but better charge performance will give you better long-range journey times. As >150kW chargers become more widespread, the etron will look better and better. Rule of thumb for etron will be about 2.5-3 hours motorway journey, followed by 30 minutes charge for the next 2 hours.

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
367 Posts
we are a family of five, all tall ...how does inside space and legroom stack?
The model X is a lot roomier and more practical than the iPace. If you are frequently 5 in the car for long drives, it will make a big difference on top of the superior charging capabilities of the X.

We are currently leasing an iPace and it's absolutely fine for us as we are at most 3 in the car, and have not driven more than the car's range in a day in any car for many years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I feel the need to defend the I Pace after I-S’s post! We have had our I Pace for over a year and have no trouble getting 3 miles / kWh in normal driving. Indeed today I managed a 69 mile trip on motorways, A roads and a few country lanes and got over magic 3 miles. Last week We did 150 miles on the M25 and some A roads with air con on (during the heatwave!) and again over 3. The seating in the back of the I Pace does look designed for two but their is space for a third in he middle. I m sure your local friendly Jaguar dealer could be persuaded to loan you one to check it out. Ours in now delivering a range of over 250 miles and (touching wood) has been faultless.

On the charging front, it really depends on the sort of driving you do. I decided that the chances of wanting to drive more than 230 miles in a day are very limited and indeed in our year of ownership we have never had to rely on public chargers. The only time I have used it is to get a “free” charge when shopping in the local Waitrose and also a visit to the local rapid charger (50kw) to ensure it all worked. All our motoring has been delivered from our home charger and for the last 5months from our PV panels. I accept the the lockdown has reduced your chances to drive but I am still happy that my lack of need to use public chargers has been vindicated so far.

I know the Tesla fanboys bang on about the Superchargers but unless you are using the car for your minicab / Uber business, is it important in our small island?

The chap who installed our Tesla Powerwall did arrive in his company Model S and confess his sales pitch for the car rather fell on deaf ears as it just did not seem like a £100k car when you sat in it! Also we already have 3 iPads in the house and could not see he need to get a 4th with wheels!

One final point, when looking at the X have you though about parking this monster in UK parking slots? I also suspect the gullwing doors might also cause problems in our small parking places. And yes I know Tesla refer to the doors as Falcon Wing to make it seem more "butch" but that is surely just another silly marketing euphemisms such as Vegan Leather!

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
I know the Tesla fanboys bang on about the Superchargers but unless you are using the car for your minicab / Uber business, is it important in our small island?
Try taking your iPace to the south of France, then the charging will get annoying.

That’s the main thing stopping me getting one as we do use Superchargers a lot on holiday.

Parking and the doors aren’t ever a problem. The towing capacity has been quite useful as well.

·
Registered
501 Posts
i am looking to buy my first EV later this year and the iPace is very much in the frame as also the Model X (Y if it comes out by then), eTron and a couple of others.

i am specifically looking for a 'big' SUV-ish ev and hence these.

those of you who own the iPace, how does it stack against the Tesla, especially in terms of real world range, charging network and times? we are a family of five, all tall ...how does inside space and legroom stack?

thanks in advance.
The iPace is inefficient vs the Tesla : iPace does much less miles per unit of battery capacity.

The Tesla Supercharger network is the/a game changer for any long range journey.

Reactions: firetrax

·
Registered
867 Posts
@quakered It's not an attack on the I-Pace. I think it's a lovely car in some ways and right now it's in consideration for my mum's next car. However, I think the crux of the matter is

and indeed in our year of ownership we have never had to rely on public chargers.
Your usage of the car avoids the I-Pace's weakest point. However, the op said

especially in terms of real world range, charging network and times?
That was the question asked.

The other issue I think that OP will find is:

we are a family of five, all tall

Now, I absolutely agree that the X is a beast that could well prove to be a pain on UK roads, and I find the "vegan leather" in my 3 fairly dismal - would much prefer real leather for sure. It would seem that the e-tron might well be closer to OP's requirements than either X or Jag. I have no doubt that the etron range is worse than the I-Pace, but the charging ability is so far ahead (holding 140-150kW to 80%) means that long journeys will be easier.

It all comes down to the OP's specific use case. For myself I occasionally drive outside of the range of the car and I had a leaf in the past and the 3SR+ now (which has a shorter 100% range than the Ipace) and I know from experience that it's the Tesla's charging performance that makes the difference on a long journey. As you correctly say, it's irrelevant if you never do that, but many of us do and my boss REALLY struggled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you. we love driving as a family and i drive a lot for work too ... when driving for work was a thing!

hence the requirement for a charging convenience and least downtime for it.

the eTron wasn't high up in my list but will have to look at it.

i looked at the 3 or the S, but after driving a sedan for years, i want to get a SUV-ish experience and hence the X/iPace/ and now eTron consideration

@quakered It's not an attack on the I-Pace. I think it's a lovely car in some ways and right now it's in consideration for my mum's next car. However, I think the crux of the matter is

Your usage of the car avoids the I-Pace's weakest point. However, the op said

That was the question asked.

The other issue I think that OP will find is:

Now, I absolutely agree that the X is a beast that could well prove to be a pain on UK roads, and I find the "vegan leather" in my 3 fairly dismal - would much prefer real leather for sure. It would seem that the e-tron might well be closer to OP's requirements than either X or Jag. I have no doubt that the etron range is worse than the I-Pace, but the charging ability is so far ahead (holding 140-150kW to 80%) means that long journeys will be easier.

It all comes down to the OP's specific use case. For myself I occasionally drive outside of the range of the car and I had a leaf in the past and the 3SR+ now (which has a shorter 100% range than the Ipace) and I know from experience that it's the Tesla's charging performance that makes the difference on a long journey. As you correctly say, it's irrelevant if you never do that, but many of us do and my boss REALLY struggled.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try taking your iPace to the south of France, then the charging will get annoying.

That’s the main thing stopping me getting one as we do use Superchargers a lot on holiday.

Parking and the doors aren’t ever a problem. The towing capacity has been quite useful as well.
I fear if I wanted to go to the South of France I would drive no further than the car park at my local airport (LHR!)

·
Registered
172 Posts
We have had a Model X for over 2 years now. Firstly it’s a big car, think Volvo XC90 or even Range Rover big. But it handles surprisingly well and certainly better than a conventional SUV. We live in the countryside with lots of narrow twisty roads and its size has never been an issue. The panoramic windscreen and high driving position give you a great view over the road, but rear visibility is poor - although you do have the large rear camera view. Only time size is a problem is in a tight car park, but that’s a problem for any large SUV. The rear doors actually need less space to open than conventional doors, so they are no issue. Cabin and luggage space is exceptional. I’ve sat in an iPace and it is much smaller, a whole class size or more smaller. In fact I would compare the iPace against a Model 3 for interior space. It is not really a proper SUV, more a jacked up hatchback. The Model X is literally a jacked up Model S, which itself is a very large car.

As for charging away from home, the Tesla Supercharging network is superb. I wouldn’t even consider any other EV at this point in time for regular long trips. Supercharging takes away all the hassle and uncertainty out of fast charging. Of course non of that matters for the daily grind with home charging.

I’m sure the iPace is a great car, but it’s not a car I would compare directly to the Model X. They belong in different categories. It’s basically like comparing a Porsche Macan with a Cayenne or Volvo XC60 vs XC90. You either need a bigger car or you don’t.

·
Registered
501 Posts
As for charging away from home, the Tesla Supercharging network is superb. I wouldn’t even consider any other EV at this point in time for regular long trips. Supercharging takes away all the hassle and uncertainty out of fast charging. Of course non of that matters for the daily grind with home charging.
This (SuC network) is the key point, I think - with all else equal - for Tesla's

·
Registered
218 Posts
A bit leftfield, but have you considered a BMW X5 petrol hybrid?

I've recently got rid of an I-Pace as the charging network in my corner of the East Midlands is very hit and miss regarding whether chargers are actually working or not. I do more miles than is comfortable when relying on home charging alone and relying on Electric Highway is not acceptable, while the nearest Tesla Superchargers are all over 50 miles away too, the nearest being at Keele Services south of Stoke on Trent. If you are a high mileage user being able to charge through Tesla is definitely the way to go, if you are happy paying the sizeable premium for a Model X, however the X5 is no more expensive than the I-Pace and offers 40+ miles of EV driving for local commutes and the back up of a petrol engine for longer journies. The X5 BIK tax, if applicable is fairly modest at 6% too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
A bit leftfield, but have you considered a BMW X5 petrol hybrid?
If I was getting a hybrid today I would go Volvo XC60/90. We seriously considered getting an XC90 hybrid before the Tesla Model X. Test drove both and the Volvo is nice, but the X full EV drivetrain is just on another planet. Never looked at a hybrid since.

You say your nearest Tesla Superchargers are all over 50 miles away, but that's where you actually need them when you are away from home. My Tesla has a realistic 200 mile range, so it has never been a problem finding a Supercharger away from home. I know there are parts of the country where it could potentially be a challenge, but no problem in the South Midlands where we are. All the main motorway arteries are well stocked with Tesla chargers and I've found Tesla destination chargers useful in more remote areas. Like you I would definitely NOT want to rely on general public chargers hence Tesla being the only EV game in town for us right now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts