Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Ampera, like most modern cars, allow you to plug in an iPhone through USB and access the music on it through the stereo?

Can it also do handsfree calling through the USB or is that only by Bluetooth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
The Ampera identifies the iPhone as an iPod and plays your music with proper descriptions on the screen. You can also save your music onto the car's HDD. The iPhone will work fine using the Bluetooth connection - it is not as quick or as comprehensive as Apple CarPlay but it is much more reliable - just be patient - it takes a while to load call lists.

I used Apple CarPlay in my last car (a 2017 Astra) and often found that calls would get cut off mid-conversation. The Bluetooth system is older and slower to respond but it is well proven and reliable. It is hands free but the latest thinking from a safety point of view is that you should put the iPhone in the locker under the central armrest (so that you are not tempted to respond to texts) and only use the phone in an emergency.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s great

I’m using CarPlay in a Fiesta at the moment and like it but agree it can be flaky. Google Maps is the best option on CarPlay but could just be due the large screen in the car. The factory nav is poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ampera Advocate
313 Posts
The iPhone will work fine using the Bluetooth connection - it is not as quick or as comprehensive as Apple CarPlay but it is much more reliable
Various Ampera owners have reported the the radio/music player is not as reliable as it ought to be. There are multiple issues that have arisen but the one I get most commonly with the iPhone is a total lack of sound. Usually it is resolved by unplugging the iPhone and reconnecting or unplugging, getting the iPhone to play and then plugging it in again. Having said that, it is probably more than 95% reliable - just don't expect 100%

·
Registered
37 Posts
My iPhone only works with a lead into the usb,can’t get it to play music from just Bluetooth and it’s very slow charging.
Don’t know if it was designed for charging through the usb while transferring music/calls through it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Various Ampera owners have reported the the radio/music player is not as reliable as it ought to be. There are multiple issues that have arisen but the one I get most commonly with the iPhone is a total lack of sound. Usually it is resolved by unplugging the iPhone and reconnecting or unplugging, getting the iPhone to play and then plugging it in again. Having said that, it is probably more than 95% reliable - just don't expect 100%
This is a common isue with the iPhone - especially if you have the phone in a case or if the cable has an oversize plastic moulding round the 'Lightning' connector. The 'Lightning' connector needs to be fully inserted and some cables will easily become loose and fail to connect if, for any reason, they cannot be fully inserted or if the plug contacts fail to meet the precise requirements. It is an iPhone quirk rather than an Ampera quirk!

·
Registered
245 Posts
My iPhone only works with a lead into the usb,can’t get it to play music from just Bluetooth and it’s very slow charging.
Don’t know if it was designed for charging through the usb while transferring music/calls through it.
As I said earlier, the car recognises the iPhone as an iPod when it is connected through the USB port. The phone element relies on Bluetooth technology and is adequate for most purposes. I haven't had a problem with slow charging - the charge from the USB port is adequate. However, all iPhones charge at a slower/reduced rate as they get older. It maybe Apple's way of getting you to buy a newer iPhone.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use an iphone 6 in my Ampera. I find bluetooth reliable. As others say, it needs to be plugged in the armrest for music and just occasionally it has been reluctant to plug in but most of the time its just fine.

On Saturday I drove to Germany in the amepera and after a 4 hour ferry delay, our eta was 4am so after midnight played 4 hours of loud music to stay fully awake and had no issues. I find Wagner on full volume is 100% guaranteed to prevent falling asleep at the wheel ;o)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Bluetooth audio streaming is not supported on Ampera apart from the rare 2014 model.

If you want to stream audio then grab yourself a little bluetooth - 3.5mm adapter and pair it with that. I pair my phone (android) with the head unit for calls and the bluetooth streaming adapter for music

1 - 10 of 10 Posts