Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ampera Advocate
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the course of recent years I've always been able to use various iPhones as a source of music using a standard lightning connector plugged into the USB socket in the armrest. When I decided to change to a Samsung Note, I used the Samsung lead to plug into the USB and the car failed to recognise that the phone was connected. I tried a different lead with the same result.

The phone is connected to the Bluetooth and operates as a phone in the same way as the iPhone did but whatever I do, the music continues to come from the phone's speaker and the car will only play music that I have on the HDD.

Any ideas please?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I think this because the Amp works with iPod's over USB (see the infotainment manual) The iPod was popular at the time. The iPhone I believe emulates an iPod when plugged in or at least uses the same protocol.
Android phones don't work that way. :(
All that is left is the AUX socket...
I'm happy to be wrong.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,604 Posts
Just a guess, I was quite happy with my USB stick for music, do you have the phone set as a 'Mass Storage Device' within the phone? I can't find where it is in my Android phone but I seem to recall seeing it the first time I connected it to my PC. @Spiny beat me to the rest of my post. I'm happy to be proved wrong too.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think you only get that option at the time of connection, certainly that's how it is for me when I plug my Android 10 phone into my PC.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Just a guess, I was quite happy with my USB stick for music, do you have the phone set as a 'Mass Storage Device' within the phone? I can't find where it is in my Android phone but I seem to recall seeing it the first time I connected it to my PC. @Spiny beat me to the rest of my post. I'm happy to be proved wrong too.
Hmmmm. you may just have solved a problem for me that has been driving me nuts since 2017 when i first switched to iphone. My wife has had an iphone 5 and now an iphone 7, and both are recognised by her Volt as an "ipod" and just work. Same with my daughters gen 1 Iphone SE, her's is picked up as an ipod too. But my iphone 7 no matter how many times i try, always says, "device not recognised". It is list in the cars bluetooth and will connect as a phone no issues.

I resorteed to buying a decent lightning to headphone jack cable off Amazon, and connect it via "AUX" setting. I will now muck about with my Iphone 7 storage settings and see if i can get it to then be recognised by the car as an ipod, as i have connected my 7 to my PC to set it up and back it up via iTunes.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,604 Posts
Hmmmm. you may just have solved a problem for me that has been driving me nuts since 2017 when i first switched to iphone. My wife has had an iphone 5 and now an iphone 7, and both are recognised by her Volt as an "ipod" and just work. Same with my daughters gen 1 Iphone SE, her's is picked up as an ipod too. But my iphone 7 no matter how many times i try, always says, "device not recognised". It is list in the cars bluetooth and will connect as a phone no issues.

I resorteed to buying a decent lightning to headphone jack cable off Amazon, and connect it via "AUX" setting. I will now muck about with my Iphone 7 storage settings and see if i can get it to then be recognised by the car as an ipod, as i have connected my 7 to my PC to set it up and back it up via iTunes.
Keep us updated as it may help someone else in the future.

·
Ampera Advocate
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Spiny and H8ten for the suggestions. I am not familiar with these things but I followed a YouTube tutorial to set the phone as a Mass Storage Device (which by default it is not) but when I tried connecting it to car via the USB socket in the arm-rest, it was still not recognised.

When I try clicking the HDD/DVD/AUX button, it remains on HDD and does not cycle through the other 2 options (as the car does not recognise that they exist and the icons are greyed out at the top).

It was suggested that I try using the AUX connection but I don't know what I can do to try that when I can get to the AUX input option? Am I perhaps not plugging it into the right place - or have I missed some fundamental point?

Thanks for any further suggestions.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,604 Posts
My understanding for the auxiliary is to think of the AUX input as headphones with a volume control (the car). All the other controls are on the unit doing the playback be it an iPhone, iPod, Android phone or other MP3 players You may already know this so sorry if it sounds like I am trying to be over-simplistic.

From what I understand is that phones will get their software updated and may no longer support the connection protocols in the car as they did when new. I know that I lost my phonebook when I updated an Android phone and had to use a third-party app to have it restored. The chance of Vauxhall updating anything in the car to suit seems to be pretty remote or at least customers are never informed about it. On that point maybe that is the point to try to encourage you to use Vauxhall dealerships for servicing so that if there are any updates they are applied but given the low number and age of the Ampera now I think it will be filed under 'Obsolete'.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
AUX is not USB :( the connector is a 3.5mm socket (headphone socket) in the arm compartment. you need a suitable lead, a 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack for phones with headphone sockets.

I'm with @h8ten in I don't think there will be any infotainment updates for the Ampera now. Its feasible the actual car software, battery management and similar may be updated if GM find a fault needing fixing but again after all this time unlikely :(

·
Ampera Advocate
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AUX is not USB :( the connector is a 3.5mm socket (headphone socket) in the arm compartment.
I was along the right lines then as I was clearly not plugging it into the right place. I just assumed that I could do it via the USB as I did with the iPhone. As the Samsung phone has no 3.5mm socket, I could follow the path used by BabyEVDriver and get a USB-C to 3.5mm Cable to convert the Samsung charge socket to the 3.5mm one in the AUX. Has anyone tried that successfully?

I know that I could consider loading music onto the HDD, or via a USB device, but if the idea of connecting the Samsung to the AUX does not work, I'm perhaps looking at what the cost is of having a 2nd device that can play Spotify via the USB. Does anyone have any ideas on the best value device for doing that please?

·
Ampera Advocate
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now got myself a USB-C to 3.5mm Cable to connect the Samsung to the AUX input and it all works fine. I don't know whether it was actually necessary for me to have turned on the Mass Storage mode but I'm not planning to turn that off to see what happens. I have music on the move again and that's good enough for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts