Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. We’ve just taken delivery of our e Niro 4. We have two iPods one with the old large connector port and one with the small version.

The Niro doesn't recognise either of them when cable connected through a lightning lead. The newer one will connect via Bluetooth but with little functionality on the car’s screen.

Anyone know what leads we might need and where they’d come from?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I haven’t tried an iPod but I’m pretty sure it’s only the centre usb that can drive media players in case you’re trying elsewhere. Thought I’d read somewhere that basic iPod functionality was included but can’t find it at the moment.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Have you tried an iPhone yet to confirm that the media connection is working okay?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, our iPhones connect OK. The dealer has said that maybe the iPods aren’t compatible, it’s not the cable. One is quite a few years old; well they both are! One’s working over Bluetooth, it seems all you can do on screen is go back or forward on tracks, to change folders you have to use the iPod itself. The dealer reckons that’s normal.

Can anyone recommend a decent MP4 device or similar that we could load our stuff on that should be compatible?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Found the comment on a website I’d read now and yes, it seems to confirm that the iPod control is very limited as you say. To be honest I faffed around with a whole range of options for music and in the end went back to a 64gb usb stick in the centre socket. It’s not the best solution in the world but it works well enough for me if the music is consistently encoded.

I didn’t want my iPhone‘s memory completely clogged with music files and I couldn’t be bothered with plugging it in to get full functionality of Carplay which I’ve found to be buggy anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
in the end went back to a 64gb usb stick in the centre socket. It’s not the best solution in the world but it works well enough for me if the music is consistently encoded.
That's the solution I'm currently using in my B250e. Does the Niro allow you to select an individual album via the infotainment controls?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Yes but to be honest, all ICE systems I've had struggle with playing music logically. For instance, if I play an artist, it plays the albums and tracks within them in alphabetical order. WTF ??? This has been the case in other cars I have had too when using a USB stick with files on. Why can't the interface sort itself out and use the track numbers, that's what they are there for isn't it?

So the solution (I referred to consistently encoded) is to make sure that all the album artists and albums are tagged properly then re-write the actual file names so that each track is named - "01 - track name.mp3" etc. Then place all the artists and albums in a hierarchical subdirectory structure. You can now ask the car to play stuff in directories and it will play albums in the correct track order. If like me, you are a dinosaur who grew up listening to whole albums that were written to be listened to in the right track order, it's soooo important!

This sounds like a pain in the butt but there are plenty of bulk file encoders out there to automate a lot of the tasks. I had around 18,000 tracks to do so it did take a while to clean them all as I wanted them. I've slimmed them down to 10,000 or so now though ;)

Before anyone chimes in with put them on your phone, play them from Spotify through CarPlay etc etc I've been there and tried all that and there are other issues to address which stopped me not least of which are

1. I've paid for the music several times over so I'm not paying for it again to stream it
2. CarPlay I have found is buggy
3. I don't want 10,000 tracks of music bogging up my phone
4. I don't want to be plugging something in which is why it's got a wireless charging dock

1 - 8 of 8 Posts