Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Iron Loss In Large Traction Motors

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  finchlean 
#1 ·
I can’t remember where I read it but I thought I read somewhere that essentially- “larger permanent magnet motors generally have higher iron losses in terms of percent of total losses or watts per pound.”

Anyone know if it’s true or where I can find info one way or the other? Do larger permanent magnet motors generally have more watts of iron losses at a given torque per pound than smaller motors?

For example for a given torque per pound, does a smaller motor have less iron loss per pound?

#3 ·
I would be fairly sure that many factors affect electric motor efficiency but I leave this detailed work and experimentation to the clever guys who design and make them. I'm sure they have a much better understanding of such matters than you or I.

#4 · (Edited)
I would be fairly sure that many factors affect electric motor efficiency but I leave this detailed work and experimentation to the clever guys who design and make them. I'm sure they have a much better understanding of such matters than you or I.
It so happens I’ve been involved with the design and made smaller motors...

Webcam Auto part Electronic device Security Wire

my point is in this electric motor efficiency chart, at low torques (below 100nm), at low rpms, and at high rpms, the efficiency dives off a cliff, presumably due to high iron losses at low torque.

So I was wondering whether many smaller motors working in parallel have improved efficiency at lower combined torques from reduction in iron loss?

#6 ·
You seem to have a particular interest in this, so I suppose it falls to you to answer your own question. Do the maths and if it looks promising try and develop an experimental set up.
I suspect, if you add in cost, you may find that a piddling increase in efficiency comes at considerable increase in cost. But, it's your baby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.