Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I applied for a charging install which was advertised at £445 (including the OLEV grant) for a standard install, but subject to survey. This was passed on on to a local installer, who then quoted £1,140 (£790 after grant). I naturally queried why my install would be so much more (as it appear simple to me (spare circuits available in the consumer unit which has easy access and a short cable run in the garage). They suggested that while my install was simple, the wholesale price of the charger is £445 alone. I'm curious what the truth is, who is not being honest? Is it (a) the online equipment supplier with an unrealistic £445 price or is it (b) the local installer who are just milking it? Keen to hear your experiences. Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I would shop around.

It is less than a day's work to fit, and aside from the EVSE itself material costs are low.

Which EVSE are you looking to get installed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’d be interested in following this thread, as I’m looking at an Ampera later today and I've been trying to find decent info about home chargers. Such a range in price and different companies etc...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking at the Rolec EVSE which is £339 retail on Amazon including onboard RCBO. Though open to suggestions if there are better or cheaper units around.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its a bit of a minefield this subject. After much deliberation I went with the PodPoint as there was no need for an earth point to be dug out at my property and so it came down to a mix of costs and aesthetical appearance of the charger. For supply and and installation, my charger cost £515 after the £350 government grant had been taken into account (£865). The only cable on show is the tethered one from the charger to the car. It is always a good idea to ask the prospective installer for views/photos of their work, so that you can make a judgement before committing. Some of the charger providers use 3rd party electricians to do their installs, hence my comments about previous work evidence. Hope my comments help. :):)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I was looking at the Rolec EVSE which is £339 retail on Amazon including onboard RCBO. Though open to suggestions if there are better or cheaper units around.
If it costs £339 on Amazon and the installer is saying the wholesale price for the same EVSE is £445 I would be suspicious about the installer.

@Paul FDJ's price looks more reasonable.

I only have experience of the Zappi EVSE which is good but expensive - will see if I can track down how much I paid to have it installed.

Worth browsing the forum for opinions on different EVSEs. I think the Rolec is at the cheap end of the market.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Ok, so the figures are 2 years old, but for a Zappi installed with 8 metre tethered cable with connection into an external meter box I paid £935 before OLEV grant (supplier was Joju Solar Ltd) OLEV grant was £500 at the time so I actually paid £435. If you assume price increase of 10% over 2 years and reduced OLEV grant of £350 you would be looking at paying about £650 installed for a Zappi?

Your quote of £790 for a simpler / more basic / lower cost charger seems much too high. Bear in mind the list price to buy a Zappi charger without install / OLEV is £725.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I applied for a charging install which was advertised at £445 (including the OLEV grant) for a standard install, but subject to survey. This was passed on on to a local installer, who then quoted £1,140 (£790 after grant). I naturally queried why my install would be so much more (as it appear simple to me (spare circuits available in the consumer unit which has easy access and a short cable run in the garage). They suggested that while my install was simple, the wholesale price of the charger is £445 alone. I'm curious what the truth is, who is not being honest? Is it (a) the online equipment supplier with an unrealistic £445 price or is it (b) the local installer who are just milking it? Keen to hear your experiences. Many thanks.
Your chargers 445 so they want 595 for the install? Am I reading that right?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Did you enquire with Rolec directly and this is the installer they’ve passed you on to? Their website quite clearly says £445 for a grant funded fully installed charger.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Did you enquire with Rolec directly and this is the installer they’ve passed you on to? Their website quite clearly says £445 for a grant funded fully installed charger.
Good point - the T&C's on the Rolec site define what is included in the £445 installed charger offer, and examples of what extra work would be chargeable.

Assuming the installer is a Rolec approved one I would expect their quote to give an itemised breakdown of the extra charges.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good point - the T&C's on the Rolec site define what is included in the £445 installed charger offer, and examples of what extra work would be chargeable.

Assuming the installer is a Rolec approved one I would expect their quote to give an itemised breakdown of the extra charges.
I haven't, but now will. Good point!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
569 Posts
I suspect there are a lot of examples of OLEV approved installers, how shall we put it, "making hay while the sun shines". Unintended side effect of the grant system I am afraid and one of the reasons why it should be discontinued in my opinion. The money would be better spent on the public charging infrastructure. The market will correct within a short time after the discontinuation of the grant.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Right.. smart charger with rcd & pen fault detector inbuilt, if it doesn’t have these, then your talking “old style” and having to have an earth rod punched 4 foot into your property, if it hits anything “rocky” then its just time consuming.. if it hits anything else, sewer, gas, electric , fibre optic, oil feed.. then you are talking “oh sh*t” money to repair.. one of these chargers will start at £500 and go up to a grand or more for the ANDERSON posh jobbies..
Install, 2 man team for 4 hours (it may only take 2 hrs but they have to get there then on too the next job) plus fuel.. each electrician costs us £75 for that 4 hours so theres £150..
Cable plus bits should only come to £100 or so..
Notifying the DNO, compiling the electrical installation certificate, filling in the 6 pages of info required by OLEV, uploading photographs as proof of work, paying out for all this and submitting a claim form (knowing it isn’t going to get paid for at least 2 months). Then we charge for our bit … £150
That’s £900 plus VAT
Stop complaining.. if you don’t like the prices stick with the granny charger…
Rant over..

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,875 Posts
Right.. smart charger with rcd & pen fault detector inbuilt, if it doesn’t have these, then your talking “old style” and having to have an earth rod punched 4 foot into your property, if it hits anything “rocky” then its just time consuming.. if it hits anything else, sewer, gas, electric , fibre optic, oil feed.. then you are talking “oh sh*t” money to repair.. one of these chargers will start at £500 and go up to a grand or more for the ANDERSON posh jobbies..
Install, 2 man team for 4 hours (it may only take 2 hrs but they have to get there then on too the next job) plus fuel.. each electrician costs us £75 for that 4 hours so theres £150..
Cable plus bits should only come to £100 or so..
Notifying the DNO, compiling the electrical installation certificate, filling in the 6 pages of info required by OLEV, uploading photographs as proof of work, paying out for all this and submitting a claim form (knowing it isn’t going to get paid for at least 2 months). Then we charge for our bit … £150
That’s £900 plus VAT
Stop complaining.. if you don’t like the prices stick with the granny charger…
Rant over..
This sort of ‘rant’ is why the sooner the OLEV grant goes, the better.

If you don’t like the OLEV process, don’t bid for OLEV funded work and stick to normal electrics.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,101 Posts
I suspect there are a lot of examples of OLEV approved installers, how shall we put it, "making hay while the sun shines". Unintended side effect of the grant system I am afraid and one of the reasons why it should be discontinued in my opinion. The money would be better spent on the public charging infrastructure. The market will correct within a short time after the discontinuation of the grant.
Why will removing the grant stop installers charging as much? I didn't see the prices reduce when the grant was cut from £500 to £350 - if anything they went the other way although most of that was the increase in complexity with the rules on installation changing.
All I see is an excess of demand over supply at present - there are too few trained installers and the demand is increasing as PHEVs and BEVs become more mainstream. Unlike a lot of "building work" (for example installing loft insulation), to train to become an installer of charge points takes a number of years (unless you are already a trained Sparky) so it isn't just a matter of a quick two week course retraining those ballerinas :devilish: that don't become cyber security experts.

The only question in my mind is what hit on the number of installations the removal of the grant would cause. Frankly I don't think that it would be great, and if it were I'd predict a number of fires and other injuries due to the unqualified DIYers cutting corners or making mistakes.

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
I didn't see the prices reduce when the grant was cut from £500 to £350 - if anything they went the other way although most of that was the increase in complexity with the rules on installation changing.
The cost of the EVSE units themselves went up didn’t it, there was more complexity around them having to be ‘smart’, but the price of these things seems high to me.

Installers should be able to make a profit on installation, of course they should, what seems to be happening though is very few people are being offered the advertised rate even though they’re standard installs.

OLEV take too long to pay, my last electrician mentioned that, but that shouldn’t be reason to bump up the pay now price.

In my last property, I had a Rolec installed along with a new consumer unit and associated testing and it was still less than the prices people are being quoted for a standard install now, only 3 years later.

Something is broken with the current system, like most of the time when grants or ‘free money’ are involved.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I run my own business, so am a firm believer in a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. My experience to date feels like bait and switch! Which, as suggested above, appears to be happening as demand is greater than supply with a high barrier to entry.

Boiling it all down to what a 'regular' electrician could do, if we assume:
  • An EVSE with RCD and PEN protection built in (no no earth rod required)
  • Spare way in the Consumer Unit and sufficient load capacity in the switch and main fuse
  • Nothing complex in the cable run between the CU and EVSE location
Then, is it just a simple install of a new circuit and cable run to the EVSE?

Are EVSE trade prices really £500-£1000? That feels like retail?

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
I run my own business, so am a firm believer in a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. My experience to date feels like bait and switch! Which, as suggested above, appears to be happening as demand is greater than supply with a high barrier to entry.

Boiling it all down to what a 'regular' electrician could do, if we assume:
  • An EVSE with RCD and PEN protection built in (no no earth rod required)
  • Spare way in the Consumer Unit and sufficient load capacity in the switch and main fuse
  • Nothing complex in the cable run between the CU and EVSE location
Then, is it just a simple install of a new circuit and cable run to the EVSE?

Speak to a good local electrician, the one I used for my Ohme install said he’d seen basic 32A EVSEs in his trade catalogues for around the £200 mark, and wiring one in along with the testing and building regs notification and all materials would be around £250.

My Ohme install involved a 20m cable run, I needed an RCD, 32A switched CEEFORM socket, earth rods (x2) and some other bits and pieces, and it was still only just over £300, installed and tested in two afternoon sessions.

With the cost of the EVSE, that’s £550 all in, that would have been £450 if I’d switched to Octopus and their Ohme box deal.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,101 Posts
OLEV take too long to pay, my last electrician mentioned that, but that shouldn’t be reason to bump up the pay now price.
Part of the issue is that most installations are done by sole-traders who handle the OLEV claim themselves, and without denigrating Sparkys they are still charging their full professional cost when doing admin which they are often not quick and accurate at.
More £400 - £800+VAT at trade, so Yes.
Something is broken with the current system, like most of the time when grants or ‘free money’ are involved.
Supply and Demand. Would you set up in this business when the demand may disappear overnight?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts