Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debating swapping to a vodafone deal that is cheaper than my unlimited 3. But they have put in speed restrictions for the cheaper rates.

2MB/s (obviously not good enough for video)
10MB/s (should be fine for one, possibly two video streams, surely?)
Unlimited (which might still only be around 10MB/s)

Three gives us between 14~25MB/s depending on the time of day and prevailing wind.

Do I pay an extra £48 per year for the privilege of bandwidth I probably won't use.

Be quick, want to grab the offers while they are there ..... ;)

·
23,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think three is giving 10~20Mbps and the vodafone is fixed 10Mbps.

Vodafone says "10mbps" is fit for HD video but not UHD, so have to presume Mbps?

·
The best there is at what I do
10,520 Posts
I'd stick with Three, they have a deal on at the moment with the first 6 months at half price so may be worth trying to get them to give you that for staying with them.

I'm with Three unlimited and its been very reliable, much more so than anything that uses the BT local loop.

·
23,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing is there is a good cash back phone deal with vodaphone too.

TBH I also struggle with 3 internet in quite a lot of places I wouldn't expect. It is good at home, but at work for example, full bars one end of the building and sketchy to zero at the other. I feel like the pauper of the group when everyone is there surfing away and I am sitting schtum because I have no connection! I think 3 is good where it is good, but that is less widespread than others. I was minded to try voda just to see what coverage they had.

It didn't help when I asked voda what data rate I could expect at my postcode. "2 to 60 Mbps" was the reply. Oh, how brilliantly helpful!!! (foreheadslap)

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
TBH I also struggle with 3 internet in quite a lot of places I wouldn't expect. It is good at home, but at work for example, full bars one end of the building and sketchy to zero at the other. I feel like the pauper of the group when everyone is there surfing away and I am sitting schtum because I have no connection! I think 3 is good where it is good, but that is less widespread than others. I was minded to try voda just to see what coverage they had.
What phone do you have, and which 4G bands does it cover? If it's an older phone it might not have all of the bands that Three use, in particular the 800MHz band which should give good coverage indoors.

That said, it is true that all of the networks have areas with better coverage than others. You could perhaps get a PAYG SIM to test whether the Vodafone coverage is better with your phone in the areas you most need it before committing to a contract.

·
23,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the comments. I have a dedicated SIM router which covers all the applicable bands.

I have gone with the vodafone deal because there was a good deal with a swanky phone. For some reason vodafone is still 'vetting' me for that (although I was 'cleared' through another supplier for vodafone the same day?). Anyhow, after a few tests with the current router it seems I could watch 2, possibly 3, simultaneous HD channels on 10Mbps so it'll be fine so long as it hits those speeds OK.

thanks for the inputs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts