Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum, so be gentle as I ask a series of possibly stupid questions.
We've currently got two cars, Honda Accord Touring and a Leaf 30. The Accord very rarely gets driven these days as a change of job for me means I don't need it for the commute any more so it is only used for drives out of the range of the Leaf.
The Leaf is now the workhorse of the family and gets used by my wife to ferry two small kids around, shopping trips and her ~40 mile round trip commute.

Seeing as I have to jump start the Accord whenever I want to use it (that's how rarely it is used) it makes sense to go down to one car to do it all and we've pretty much set on a Passat GTE, especially as my wife's commute will be coming down to ~25 miles round trip.

I'm pretty much set on the virtual cockpit dash, full leather (two small kids make a mess) and I'd like the sunroof and head up display but they're not deal breakers, so it looks like the Advance is the way to go.

Being a bit of a cheap skate I'd like as new a car as possible but £0 VED, so as the title asks, is a 17 Reg £0 VED Advance possible?

As a bonus question for anyone who as read all of this, should I be scared of 50k+ mileage if all of the servicing is in order?

Thanks all,
Pecker

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,317 Posts
I think you may struggle to cover the commute on electric only on the Passat GTE, not sure if that’s the intention or not?

Reliability wise, there shouldn’t be any major horrors awaiting, but like the Golf version make sure it’s had the DSG gearbox oil change at 40k, and regular engine oil changes, as it gets asked to go from cold to 2000 RPM quite frequently.

The battery should still be under warranty on a 50k car, as long as it has full VW service history or independent to the same schedule.

Otherwise, it’s the usual Passat strengths and weaknesses I think.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Passat GTE makes a fantastic family car IMHO. Should be able to find one per your post title. I also suggest you’ll really struggle to do 25 miles on electricity only unless you’re super careful in warm conditions, so expect to use the engine regularly.
Assuming you’ve got a charge point for the Leaf (if tethered you’ll need to swap type 1 for type 2 cable) then it will completely recharge in 2.5 hours if you’re making multiple trips per day.
There are a few threads on here relating to reliability, DSG gearbox mechanism for GTEs of all types (search Golf as well) seems to be one that cropped up regularly for a while, so full service history would be important for me. It’s a very complex beast under the bonnet! My experience has been very good so far.
Personally I don’t miss the digital dashboard on my non-Advance Passat; the demo car I drove had it and looks lovely but I found it wasn’t all that customisable and doesn’t integrate with Apple CarPlay/ Waze that I use every day.
Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Being a bit of a cheap skate I'd like as new a car as possible but £0 VED, so as the title asks, is a 17 Reg £0 VED Advance possible?
Well, mine crept into that 1 month window, so is a 17-plate pseudo-Advance* with £0 VED - it was supplied to the dealer as a demonstrator, but it sat in the showroom for a couple of months and they never registered it. So I got it as a first owner, but held off until March for the 17 plate.

I am toying with the idea of selling it for a full BEV....... :)

* as they were demonstrators, there are a few of these about - technically not an Advance, but specced with almost everything from the Advance trim as an extra. The only difference, IIRC, is it has a black roofliner rather than a sunroof

Edit to add: if you're talking about a £0 VED 17-plate, I don't think head-up display existed as an option at that point. The Advance trim was different on the older models, eg it included Area View (the 360 camera), but not the electric tailgate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My plans have changed (again) and our current thinking is sell the Leaf, keep the Accord for a year and then replace it with an ID.3. In that time we'll be able to see the ID.3 in the flesh and confirm whether it is the car for us and if not, see what other BEVs are available.

It's going to be weird buying petrol again, but in the long term this seems to be the right thing for us to do.
Right, does this website have an ID.3 forum?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After much deliberation and flirtation with a Vauxhall Ampera we've gone full circle and pulled the trigger on a GTE Advance. I pick it up on Friday and I can't wait.
Mrs Pecker will be using it for her 12 mile commute and hopefully that can be all electric.

Prepare for many questions from me in the near future, like "How do you open the charge port? "

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not sure if this adds anything to the discussion but I have a 31/3/17 reg Passat GTE that is not an advance technically but has over £8000 of extras putting the value up to over £46K. It doesn't have the active info display but I'm happy with what it does have and use the phone/apple CarPlay interface a lot. If it had been registered a day later I'd be paying a lot of road tax but as it is I'm paying 0 thankfully for a very luxurious economic car. I so taken with the GTE formula after 4 months of ownership I'm looking for a Golf GTE as a 2nd car to replace our Fiesta. However not easy to find a Golf that has anything like the goodies on the Passat that I now like so much

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The deal fell through and, with hindsight, it was too much of a stretch financially, so hopefully picking up an Outlander today if SWMBO gives the OK.

The Passat is a lovely car but, unfortunately, not for us right now.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to the Outlander forum I go!

·
Registered
577 Posts
The deal fell through and, with hindsight, it was too much of a stretch financially

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to the Outlander forum I go!
only some sage advice as I myself have acted in haste and spent many hours regretting it; before you jump down the outlander path, are there full BEV alternatives? The ioniq28 are now around £14-16k range -there's one privately advertised on the forum. greater range than your old leaf. Or review the lease alternatives as great deals are often appearing on leasing.com, then you aren't getting locked into 'old tech'

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We need something quite big.
We're getting rid of an ICE estate and a Leaf to get something SWMBO can commute in using (mainly) electrons and also do longer distance drives (Scotland, Cornwall, the south of France) with camping gear, baby stuff, bikes etc.
When we were choosing what EV to get her, we looked at the Zoe, i3, Leaf and Ionic and I really liked the Ionic, but that when that was as a second car for SWMBO to commute in. The ICE estate was still there for the big trips.
Changes in circumstances mean we don't need a second car anymore and her new commute is within the range of a PHEV.
The Passat our first choice, but it makes more sense for us to get a cheaper PHEV, pay off debts, look into installing solar PV and see what is available in a few years.
The speed of change is so high that I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last car I own that drinks fossil juice. I hope it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts