Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all the EV community in the U.K.

I run a largish holiday cottage in mid-Wales and I am considering installing a charge point for the use of my guests but I am unsure if the cost, around £900, is worth the outlay. Is this something that EV owners actively seek out when staying somewhere or do you just take your second, conventional, car instead? Or would you just bring y Ur converter and hook up to a socket from the house?

Your thoughts much appreciated , Adam

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,713 Posts
Hi you will probably find some ev owners who would book on the strength of you advertising charging available. As for fitting a charger I think most ev drivers would be grateful if you could just supply an outside 3 pin socket to use. If demand merits it fit a charger later on. There are so few places offering charging with holiday lets that the outside socket would be very appreciated. You will need to mention ev charging prominently in your advertising though to attract attention. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think in mid Wales you'd need a proper charger; charging is not good in Wales (I ran out there :() and you don't want to wait 12+ hours to charge from a domestic socket just to go out!
Zero Carbon World do free chargers (with conditions) I believe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks electric toad, will check that out, although was told that since it is for commercial premises and I don't own an ev grants etc weren't available to me. £900 does seem steep though for a little box on my wall......

·
Registered
960 Posts
for what its worth, if I can reach it, for me if I was going that way I would pick the one that lets you charge an EV, mid wales as already mentioned is terrible for charging, personally for me a 3 pin socket would suffice as it would more than likely be charging overnight, but its nice to be able to explore in the day.

I guess the real question is, would guests be willing to spend more to stay at your place if you had a 7kw type 2 socket for use, personally I'd be inclined to install 2-4 waterproofed 3 pin sockets so that more than one guest can charge....if you start seeing lots of EV drivers arrive then invest in a Type 2 Socket....

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hi to all the EV community in the U.K.

I run a largish holiday cottage in mid-Wales and I am considering installing a charge point for the use of my guests but I am unsure if the cost, around £900, is worth the outlay. Is this something that EV owners actively seek out when staying somewhere or do you just take your second, conventional, car instead? Or would you just bring y Ur converter and hook up to a socket from the house?

Your thoughts much appreciated , Adam
For myself, and I would hazard most PHEV drivers, a 13 amp socket for overnight charging would be ample.
I expect most BEV drivers would appreciate a slightly faster charge because of the size of their batteries.
If you did decide to put in a proper charge point then a 7KW (32 amp) with Type 2 socket would be the way to go.
I think the 32 amp Rolec ones can be installed for less than £900, but it would depend on your actual install situation.
But at the end of the day, any charging is appreciated, no matter how small.
Personally I would suggest putting in two 13 amp outdoor sockets dedicated to EV charging and advertise it big. :):)

·
Registered
221 Posts
When I choose a holiday home I always check that my electric car can be parked within approximately five metres of a standard 13 amp socket. If such a facility is not available then I look elswhere. I always offer to pay for the electricity used. If a 7 kWh type 2 charging facility were to be offered then this would give a holiday home a distinct advantage, especially in Wales. The latter would be a strong selling point if you were to advertise your cottage amongst the EV community and I would like to think that your outlay would be worthwhile. Good luck with your deliberations!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Whatever you do, put information about any points you install on Zap Map and Plugshare. This will let EVrs find you and get you free advertising. This seems a very obvious thing to do for any guest house anywhere.

A 13a outside plug and/or 16a commando caravan socket would be very useful to any EVer. If you put up 16 amp commandos they are more reliable, but you would also have to think about having a 16a to 13a converter lead. Or tell guests that is what they need to bring - readily available on Amazon etc.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,660 Posts
Is this something that EV owners actively seek out when staying somewhere
Definitely. A 7 kWh or similar would be a good idea. Do you know if you can get a grant?

Make sure you put it prominently on your web page. I search through cottages on the web and find few that have them, but on giving them a ring I find that they have them. Hoseasons are a pain for this. Had booked with them for this years holiday before I had ordered the Zoe and was lucky to find that they had chargers at Skegness when we arrived, our destination. When I got back I asked them to show chargers along with the dishwashers etc. Had many emails back and forth. This years catalogue still does not show which sites have chargers:rolleyes:. When I contacted them again they said choose your site and call to see if they have chargers - doh!

On the advice of providing an outside socket - that will only work for those who had 'granny cables' provided or bought their own (£500 ish). Most Zoe owners will not have one as Renault only provide them as an after sale item.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,705 Posts
£900 is a lot of money, you can easily do it cheaper, chargers often come up on EBay for under £300 and there is no way that the wiring and RCDs etc would cost £600.

There is a 30A Type 2 on at the moment, it's a bit of a punt but if you could get it for around £150 it would be worth it, but I bought 2 for £100 and they are perfect.

Chargemaster Home EV charger 30 AMP IP54 Tethered Unit | eBay

·
Registered
813 Posts
One challenge would be how you advertise this and then differentiate yourself from holiday homes without EV charging.

As an EV and holiday home user, it would be a nice addition, however provision of an EV charge point would not make me choose one home over another. Location, star rating and price are generally more important to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you so much everyone for your thoughts and contributions, you guys are a great advert for your community. I will go away have a bit more of an investigation into eBay, a double 13amp socket outdoors dajacent to the parking area will be very easy to achieve also. I'Ev also got in touch with Airbnb and owners direct, both of whom I advertise with, to see if they will listen to the idea of people being able to search for homes with ev points.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
499 Posts
2 singles would be better. 2 heavy loads plugged in to 1 double socket might get a bit warm...
And better on a separate circuit to any other sockets.
I agree with @Surrey Plum that two singles are the way to go.
To make it clear, each "granny cable" usually pulls 10 amps from the 13 amp plug, which is quite close to it's spec and hence makes the plug quite hot (most of the heat is generated in the fuse and conducted down the live pin and also away in the cabling).
@Anotheradz if you tell your sparky to spec the cable to the sockets at 32 amps continuous, then you could replace the two sockets with a 32 amp charge point at a later date if you found the whole idea takes off.

·
Registered
531 Posts
There is a 30A Type 2 on at the moment, it's a bit of a punt but if you could get it for around £150 it would be worth it, but I bought 2 for £100 and they are perfect.

Chargemaster Home EV charger 30 AMP IP54 Tethered Unit | eBay
Whilst a unit from eBay is the route I would take, I'd not be suggesting a type 2 tethered unit though. Surely it needs to be socketed to be more inclusive - everyone carries their own type 2 to whatever end they need cable...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts