Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've just spent the day at my dealer, trying to debug the "cannot schedule charge" issue. We finally confirmed beyond doubt that my car definately DOES have the new firmware relase from MG. However scheduled charging still does not work. I can power up a charger (granny charger on a timeswitch) some hours after plugging in and locking the car, and in this case charging starts reliably. However, if a fast charger (Ohme in my case) is used, the car will not start charging if the charging session is initiated by the charger an hour or so after plug-in. I can reliably start a charge manually by plugging in at 12:30am and initiating an immediate charge at cheap rate. However any scheduled charge will fail if starting some time after plug-in.

My charger vendor (Ohme) are being very responsive and helpful in attempting to debug the problem, but we need data points from other owners with other charger types. Therefore, please would you respond to this thread with the charger you're using; whether your car definately has the firmware update, and whether your charger is able to reliably apply a scheduled charge?

thanks a lot

Doug

·
Registered
925 Posts
Not got one myself, but it sounds like the Ohme has some voltage connected to the car all the time. The car obviously tries to do a charge, but the Ohme won't respond. The car assumes a fault and goes to sleep.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks a lot for the replies so far. It's interesting that the older "dumb" chargers simply turn themselves on or off (similar to my granny charger on a timeswitch) - which we know works with the MG. I'm particularly looking for behaviour with the modern "OLEV approved" smart chargers - which of these work and which don't?

·
Registered
12 Posts
This has been documented on the fb group.
The issue is that the smart chargers put 12V out on the control pin when plugged in and keeps it on until the preset time. However the MG goes to sleep after a few minutes after the 12V is applied. It only wakes if the 12V is removed and reapplied. So granny chargers and disconnecting the power to the charger work after the upgrade as the MG now wakes on the application of the 12V. So most smart chargers wont work as he 12V is present from the time the car is plugged in.. Basically the MG fix wakes the car on application of 12V where it didn't wake at all before, but the issue now is that it goes back to sleep unless the charger puts out the PWM advising the car of the power available within a few minutes. So its up to MG to fix it - although the charger manufacturers could resolve it by turning off the 12V on the CP pin for a few seconds before the timed charge starts.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, Navrac - that seems clear and simple. I'll feed this back to the charger vendor and see if they can implement a work-around.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update - I've fed back the behaviour and required work-around, and Ohme have initiated a development effort to implement the work-around. It will take a while, as of course any firmware update needs to be carefully implemented and thoroughly tested (as we're dealing with high voltages and currents). Will keep you all informed...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, any folks who are seeing this same issue with "smart" chargers, please raise it with your MG dealership and have them refer the issue to MG UK. I was concerned to hear that MG UK may still be thinking this is a charger problem, when clearly it's the car that's at fault. The more referrals they get from dealerships, the more urgently they'll treat the problem. Then we should see a firmware fix from the factory, which would be the proper and final fix to this problem (rather than have every charger vendor separately work around it).

·
Registered
29 Posts
We reported the issue to both dealer and Rolec, and what are they doing:, besides apologizing and giving false promises: nothing!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ohme have shown that it CAN be done with a bit of customer focussed energy and political will (as well as some technical brilliance!). Hopefully the fact Ohme got this working in about 10 days will shame others into pulling their fingers out!

·
Registered
315 Posts
what is the latest firmware /software version. We got our the night of the lockdown and I am trying to use the time to sort out timer charging. I have a chargemaster home charger and the app which allows me to set up a scheduled charge session, it does not work. So I need to know which version the car should have installed. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, according to several folks on this forum, there seems to be no way to read the software version of the Battery Management System (BMS) from the car screens. You can find the software version of the "infotainment" system and the satnav, but not for internal systems like the BMS. It may be possible to read these version numbers from the OBDII port, but no-one has figured it out yet. It seems the only way to know is to take the car to your dealer and have them re-apply the updates. However, given that your car is so recent, I'm sure it would have the latest BMS update, which allows the car to charge on a scheduled basis, provided the charger is powered down, then up at the time of the charge. The assertion of the control signal on the charger cable "wakes up" the car and initiates charging. The way to test this is by using your "granny charger". Plug the granny charger into your car and lock the car. Then, some 3 hours later, plug the supply end of the granny charger into a 13A socket and turn it on. If the car wakes up and charges, you have the latest firmware.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts