Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having seen some of the launch videos about the new MG ZS EV I am wondering if they are persuading anyone to cancel their order for an E- Niro and put a deposit down for the MG. With the current discount the top spec MG is £10k cheaper than the Kia. That’s a lot of money for the extra range.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is certainly a nice choice, and if it is enough range for you then go ahead. I wouldn't compaire it with eNiro, but rather similar range vehicles, Kona 40kWh, Zoe, leaf, Ionic 32kWh.

Also vs eNiro, the MG ZS EV seems to be have a less efficent drive train:
MG: 163 mi / 44.5kWh ~ 3.66 mi/kWh £23.500 (Exclusive trim with rear camera, so it is comparable to others.)
eNiro: 282 mi / 64kWh ~ 4.40 mi/kWh £33.000
Zoe 4.0 : 186 mi / 40 kWh ~ 4.65 mi/kWh £25,020

Eventhough you would expect a smaller battery car to be lighter and thus more efficient, like the Zoe 4.0. Also I dont know the drag coeficcent but the MG's front grill looks very "ICE like" (not very aerodynamic).

I guess if you want a "bigger" car and like the range, this is a very very good comprimise. We are considering one for my wife who doesn't do long journeys.

Eventually the MG ZS EV will come with a ~60kwH battery, I wonder how much that will cost? It could really open the market.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Definately good to see some more choice and styles becoming available. Would be worth keeping an e-Niro order on the boil just in case.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - good points. I guess with a lot of this it is about balancing what meets your own needs / willingness to compromise with cost / depreciation etc.
I realise the battery range / efficient is much better but wondering if the £10k price difference might be an incentive to put up with more stops on longer journeys.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanks - good points. I guess with a lot of this it is about balancing what meets your own needs / willingness to compromise with cost / depreciation etc.
I realise the battery range / efficient is much better but wondering if the £10k price difference might be an incentive to put up with more stops on longer journeys.
Think it will depend on lifestyle and as with any EV at the mo you will be an early adopter so its a step change.
In general EV's are some £10K more expensive than an equivalent ICE at present and that gap is unlikely to become on a par for 5 years or more. So the MG is very good value and just like a lot of cars (of any motive power) it depends on what compromises you can accept/live with and if range is the one you are OK with, then it will work for you. As the coming years go by the charging infrastructure will get better and more numerous.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It is certainly a nice choice, and if it is enough range for you then go ahead. I wouldn't compaire it with eNiro, but rather similar range vehicles, Kona 40kWh, Zoe, leaf, Ionic 32kWh.

Also vs eNiro, the MG ZS EV seems to be have a less efficent drive train:
MG: 163 mi / 44.5kWh ~ 3.66 mi/kWh £23.500 (Exclusive trim with rear camera, so it is comparable to others.)
eNiro: 282 mi / 64kWh ~ 4.40 mi/kWh £33.000
Zoe 4.0 : 186 mi / 40 kWh ~ 4.65 mi/kWh £25,020
Thanks very much for those consumption figures. The MG appears much less efficient - unless the range figures are deceptive in any way.
I am waiting to discover whether the MG has a heat pump because I think it will be less attractive with its more limited range if it going to use up much of its battery on a resistance heater in cold weather.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thanks very much for those consumption figures. The MG appears much less efficient - unless the range figures are deceptive in any way.
I am waiting to discover whether the MG has a heat pump because I think it will be less attractive with its more limited range if it going to use up much of its battery on a resistance heater in cold weather.
It does have a heat pump, It has been told to us on the MG ZS EV FB page.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I have been quoted £37,000 for an eNiro as opposed to £23,495 for the MG. my calculator works that out as being about £13,505 difference. I can do a lot of other things with that sort of money!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
EV batteries all have heaters I think - Li-ion can get damaged if you try to charge them below 0ºC I believe (also why you get b-all regen with a frozen battery).

·
Registered
597 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been quoted £37,000 for an eNiro as opposed to £23,495 for the MG. my calculator works that out as being about £13,505 difference. I can do a lot of other things with that sort of money!
The price of the First Edition e-Niro after the Govt grant is £33,495. The price for the MG Exclusive with Govt Grant and the extra matching discount from MG (if within the first 1,000 orders) is £23,495 so hence £10k difference. Perhaps they are quoting a new price but I didn’t think Kia was putting the price up that much?
Had a look at a petrol version of the MG. The boot looked bigger than the Kia and the room in the back seemed better. My wife actually prefers the look of the MG and now having to consider if I cancel the e-Niro? The main issue for me is the range on long trips but £10k+ is a lot of extra money.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Soul EV will be £33,785 after grant.

eNiro is being slightly up-specced and probably getting a couple of grand price rise, £36-37k likely to differentiate from the smaller Soul.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Having driven a Zoe 40kWh and now having an E-Niro I would say the main issue would be your usage in relation to mileage. The 282 Miles of the E-Niro takes it into normal car territory, even local use means never worrying about charge and I often make 200+ mile round trips without worrying about charge. That is an incredible difference to constantly being aware of the battery charge and miles to drive. It is such a relief not to have to charge late at night on my way back home from London. I'm just saying as this is the overriding point that I appreciate most in the Kia. It cuts Journey times majorly.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Having driven a Zoe 40kWh and now having an E-Niro I would say the main issue would be your usage in relation to mileage. The 282 Miles of the E-Niro takes it into normal car territory, even local use means never worrying about charge and I often make 200+ mile round trips without worrying about charge. That is an incredible difference to constantly being aware of the battery charge and miles to drive. It is such a relief not to have to charge late at night on my way back home from London. I'm just saying as this is the overriding point that I appreciate most in the Kia. It cuts Journey times majorly.
That's what you get with the larger battery pack, you can't argue about that.
You pays your money, and takes your choice I guess !.
If the next range of EV's did 300 miles between each charge, then people would be still asking for 4 - 500 miles.
I have the same conversation over and over again with folks who dismiss EV's straight away.
Why demand a car with a bigger range than the capacity ( range ) of your bladder for god's sake !.
I was talking to somebody only yesterday who regularly drives a BMW 5 series on a journey of around 220 miles each way about 2 - 3 times a week.
He said that an electric car is no good to him because you are having to stop ALL of the time to charge.
When I asked him if he did the trip without stopping for a break or use the loo, he said :- "No chance - I stop for about 40 - 45 mins on the way".
So, why would you not be charging in that time I asked ?.
No answer was the reply.
I felt a light bulb moment coming on.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts