Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for stealing the title of another thread but...

Price drop on e-Golf means they can be bought for as little as £23,100 via a well-known broker.

Slightly less range (144 vs 163 WLTP), but comes with 3 rear headrests ;) and lower rate finance than MG.

Heat pump is an option for winter range preservation but is a steep £860.

Now how about that type-2 lead, MG? :devilish:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Apologies for stealing the title of another thread but...

Price drop on e-Golf means they can be bought for as little as £23,100 via a well-known broker.

Slightly less range (144 vs 163 WLTP), but comes with 3 rear headrests ;) and lower rate finance than MG.

Heat pump is an option for winter range preservation but is a steep £860.

Now how about that type-2 lead, MG? :devilish:
Also air cooled rather than water cooled

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am to be honest. Although the cheaper non metallic paint is on a 17 week lead time apparently. I got the following lease offer:
15k pa. 24 month lease. £2,300 down and £256pm.
Thats for the metallic paint which is in stock for fairly quick delivery.
I'm really torn. The MG is bigger and taller which would suit me better with a young child. But the golf is a known entity, available now, has pre heat. I have a feeling the golf would work out cheaper and im fairly sure the world will be different in 2 years so tempted to just get that for a short term fix.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am to be honest. Although the cheaper non metallic paint is on a 17 week lead time apparently. I got the following lease offer:
15k pa. 24 month lease. £2,300 down and £256pm.
Thats for the metallic paint which is in stock for fairly quick delivery.
I'm really torn. The MG is bigger and taller which would suit me better with a young child. But the golf is a known entity, available now, has pre heat. I have a feeling the golf would work out cheaper and im fairly sure the world will be different in 2 years so tempted to just get that for a short term fix.
Who is that with? I need 18k miles. Thanks.
Not sure what to do, buy the MG and keep for 5 to 6 years, or as you say get a 2 year deal and see whats about then.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Who is that with? I need 18k miles. Thanks.
Not sure what to do, buy the MG and keep for 5 to 6 years, or as you say get a 2 year deal and see whats about then.....
Firm called Select car leasing. They are basically matching that Stockport dealer that was on the whatcar link.
Not sure what to do to be honest. Expecting a call back tomorrow morning to see if the dealer has an update on demonstrator eta. I really am tempted to go with the Golf and at least i will actually have something rather than endlessly waiting around for the latest batch of newer cars.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I currently own a Golf Hybrid PHEV and it is a fantastic bridge car before taking the step over to a full BEV.
I did take advantage of the 48 hour e.Golf test drive and it was exactly what I expected it to be.
A well built, quality and silent version of the popular Mk7 Golf.
The MG ZS EV has to really good to match this car I.M.H.O.
If the MG is as silent as the Golf, I will buy it with out any doubt what so every. There are a lot of very positive reviews regarding the ZS EV, but I am reserving judgement as of yet folks.
If you where happy with the e.Golf, why did you not just buy it then ?.
Fair question you would think.
Well, trying to find ( and trust me I did ) a VW dealer that is even remotely interested in offering a good part exchange deal on the e.Golf was impossible to do.
After almost three weeks of e.mails / phone calls ( that never got returned by the way ) I just runout of energy chasing this people T.B.H.
If you just want an e.Golf that they JUST happen to have in stock, you MAY make some progress.
You want an e.Golf with a couple of factory options, they have already switched off at this point.
It makes their life hard work, you can see it in their faces !.
The e.Golf is the most expensive MK7 Golf they produce.
Given the cost of the car, it looks almost like a base line version of the Golf both inside and out.
If you start opting for some factory options ( that I feel should already be included in the price ) then the finished price of the car is way to expensive.
Spec wise, if the e.Golf had the same level as spec as the ZS EV - The Golf would be £35,000.
After saying that, the SZ EV has to match the build quality and silent ride of the e.Golf.
You can keep all of the fancy bits on offer, if the car does not come close to the VW Golf.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...Well, trying to find ( and trust me I did ) a VW dealer that is even remotely interested in offering a good part exchange deal on the e.Golf was impossible to do...
My biggest concern about e-Golf is the dealers - I have yet to see a mention of a VW dealer being enthusiastic about EVs.

MG dealers seem to be raring to go with ZS EV, not least because they know it will give them a huge sales boost of cars with virtually no discounting.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Having driven the e-Golf, I think it's a fantastic car. I'll be comparing it to a ZS EV later this week but IMO the Golf is a known entity and if you could get it for near the same price as the ZS EV then it would be a no-brainer.

Also consider retained value - a Golf is likely to be worth a lot more than the MG by the time you come to sell it.

The Golf also has an 8 year, 100k mile battery warranty, vs the MG's slightly more generous but shorter overall 7 year, 80k mile warranty.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I can not argue with any of your above comments.
Just to say that the e.Golf is a different beast.
If you require a small sized BEV SUV for the family trips, then it has to be the MG.
If a low ride hatch back will do the job, you can’t beat the e.Golf really.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I can not argue with any of your above comments.
Just to say that the e.Golf is a different beast.
If you require a small sized BEV SUV for the family trips, then it has to be the MG.
If a low ride hatch back will do the job, you can’t beat the e.Golf really.
For me the eGolf isn't in the running because of short range, but YMMV.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,627 Posts
Only main reasons I'm considering the MG

1. Price (although still way up at my maximum)
2. Range (yes I'd love more, 200miles I'd be ecstatic, but the price for big is an issue) and charging speed.
3. Capacity/space
4. Good roof loading for bikes / roofbox
5. fairly basic, which makes it more simple, and hopefully less will break/fail frankly.
6. Liquid cooled pack.

Other reasons albeit less important.

1. small SUV, I always said I didn't want one and no one needs one, but everyone has one so feel I may as well join the pack in seeing over hedgerows.
2. CCS (AC has sadly had its day, Chademo is legacy too)
3. That big sun roof, I can see the kids appreciating that.
4. Its not hideous.
5. Good heater from what I've read, even if it isn't a fandango heat pump.
6. Nippy for what it is.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Only main reasons I'm considering the MG

1. Price (although still way up at my maximum)
2. Range (yes I'd love more, 200miles I'd be ecstatic, but the price for big is an issue) and charging speed.
3. Capacity/space
4. Good roof loading for bikes / roofbox
5. fairly basic, which makes it more simple, and hopefully less will break/fail frankly.
6. Liquid cooled pack.

Other reasons albeit less important.

1. small SUV, I always said I didn't want one and no one needs one, but everyone has one so feel I may as well join the pack in seeing over hedgerows.
2. CCS (AC has sadly had its day, Chademo is legacy too)
3. That big sun roof, I can see the kids appreciating that.
4. Its not hideous.
5. Good heater from what I've read, even if it isn't a fandango heat pump.
6. Nippy for what it is.
All well stated items !.
Probably a very similar list of reasons as the majority of us.
Same at this end @Sandy

·
Zoe Devotee
7,627 Posts
What I'm not too concerned about, I know you are, is the noise. Having had a Zoe for 5 years I've grown very accustomed to its happy whizz under hard throttle or braking. I'll kinda miss that if the MG is super quiet lol You've obviously been more spoiled than me. ;) I won't be unhappy if the car is quieter, just means I won't have any excuse not to listen to the chatter from the kids in the back or the missus nagging me.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
What I'm not too concerned about, I know you are, is the noise. Having had a Zoe for 5 years I've grown very accustomed to its happy whizz under hard throttle or braking. I'll kinda miss that if the MG is super quiet lol You've obviously been more spoiled than me. ;) I won't be unhappy if the car is quieter, just means I won't have any excuse not to listen to the chatter from the kids in the back or the missus nagging me.
Had a second, but very brief test drive in another white Excite today at another dealership closer to home.
This dealership are condensing the test drives down to 30 mins.
They had six test drives booked for today, fully booked yesterday !.
The sales person said the demand has gone crazy now the dealers have the cars.
The one's I have spoken to, are disappointed that they have not been given an Exclusive model.
They think MG has restricted the numbers of Exclusive models getting released as Demo's, because they want to give them to waiting customers.
How was the brief test drive ?.
The car performed well and had the same silent ride of the first one I tested on Sunday, no strange noises.
We only drove in Normal mode and Regen 3.
Apparently, this is what the car defaults to every time you switch it on.
I also noticed that the radio volume setting has a memory, each time you boot the car into life it returns to the previous volume setting.
I wanted to go through the settings in the head unit, but there was clearly no time for this today.
After the drive, the car was returned to the charger, not sure why because it was going back out in less than 10 mins and it still had well over a 100 miles on the GOM.
What was interesting was how the car reacted to being plugged in ?..
You connect the charger to the car and nothing happens at first, as it runs through the hand shake with the car.
If you are sat in the drivers seat, or if you are outside looking through the drivers door glass.
You can see an image displayed the the centre of the dash panel, it also has a message some thing like this:- "Car is plugged in, but not receiving any charge"
If you then lock the car, either inside with the button on the drivers door or lock it outside with the key fob.
Then the message in the dash changes to read:- "Charging has now commenced " the image in the dash panel has changed to a battery cell on its side, with the percentage of charge displayed.
The sales person said he got fooled by this process the very first day, he plugged in the car in the morning, then returned at lunch time to find it had not received any charge.
He had forgotten to lock the car after he had plugged it into the charger !.
Something else that appears odd, if you are sitting in the car and turn on the heater ( brilliant by the way @Sandy ) all is well, but if you try collecting a charge at the same time it will not comply.
It would appear you have a choice, heat or charge !.
If you plug into the box and then return to the car, lock the doors from inside and the charging progress will commence.
The boot up the car and then try turning on the HVAC for heat, the heater unit is completely dead.
I have tried this booting up process with both the brake pedal pressed, and not pressed - same result.
Right, close down the car and then remove the charger plug, charging stops of course.
Now return to the drivers seat and boot up the car.
Select HVAC, and the heat is almost there in an instant !.
I looks like you can only draw power to heat the cabin, which is coming from the H.V. battery, when it is not plugged it.
You can however carry out a very very crude method to heat / defrost your car in the winter.
I am not recommending this action, but wanted only to try this as a "Proof of concept" for myself !.
Enter the car and hit the start button, with your foot on the brake.
When the car is ready, turn on the heater and heated seats ( Exclusive ) then leave the car and lock using the remote, return to the house.
The car will "bong" as you get out, to warn you that it is still switched on though.
This is okay, as the car is in "N" and the parking brake is still on.
Then return to the car after 5 mins and unlock, by now it will be both defrosted and toasty warm inside.
I tried this at the dealers today with the drivers door window down, and by standing outside of the car.
With the heater on full heat and high blower speed.
Now lock the car, the heat could still be felt coming through the side vents.
This is purely a "work around" and only attempt this at you own risk folks.
The car was plugged into a regular Rolec wall box, almost identical to the one I have at home.
It was a Type 1 unit, with a fancy short Type 1 to Type 2 converter adaptor cable.
I have NO idea if the same conditions / heating issues applies when using a rapid charging post ????.
I think the sales person though I had gone completely mad at this point, then after a few mins he could see the future implications of this situation.
When he returned to the showroom, he made a note of our findings and said he would speak to MG as a matter of urgency.
I gave him this example :- "You are a lady travelling alone late at night or in the early hours of the morning, you are short on range and it is -10 degrees outside.
You find a charger, but the post has it either no facilities open our available given the late hour.
Are you going to chose plugging into the post to collect a charge but then lose the heating, or try to stay warm by using the heater, which will drain your already low state of charge in the pack ????.
If the facilities are open, then there is not problem - plug in the car, lock the doors and grab a hot drink.
Here, you are safe and warm inside of the building.
The sales person appeared to be very concerned, and rightfully so.
He expressed his concerns over the personal safety issues surrounding this very odd function of the car.
The car should be programmed to allow the HVAC system to work either at rest or plugged into a charger.
If you then try to leave the car and forget to switch off the HVAC, the car should warn you the system is still active in some way.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,627 Posts
Did you press the power button twice as described in the manual. Pressing once doesn't allow heating, must be a double press of the button.

The testing on the FB group with an owners car suggests you very much can AC charge and heat.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Did you press the power button twice as described in the manual. Pressing once doesn't allow heating, must be a double press of the button.

The testing on the FB group with an owners car suggests you very much can AC charge and heat.
Sorry @Sandy - I was under pressure and getting my head pecked by the sale person today.
He did seem keen to achieve a result here, I will ask him to give it a go.
Many thanks for the tip !.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
We’ve switched from an MG reservation to an IONIQ 20MY on PCH. Main negatives on the MG were no preheating/charge timer, no climate control, analogue dash. It drives well and the finish is fine but just didn’t tick all our boxes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have a MG ZS test drive tomorrow, but have been quoted a this price on the eGolf

£1,686 down, and 35 payments of £281 on 15k miles pa. A total of £11,521 over the 36 mth term
Fuel on my current ICE for 45k miles would be circa £9k, less 45k of electric at 3ppm = £1,350, so £3,871 or £108 per month for cost of rental of the eGolf.
Depreciation on any car is going be more than that!

For comparison the same term on a Nissan Leaf N Connecta 40kWh = is
£2,478 down, and 35 payments of £413 on 15k miles pa. A total of £16,933 over the 36 mth term.
so using the same fuel costs that come out to £9,283 as the cost of rental.

Comparing the Leaf to MG ZS, owning seems to make sense, but the eGolf seems very cheap.

Hmmmm. Have I missed something???

1 - 20 of 29 Posts