Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Have a MG ZS test drive tomorrow, but have been quoted a this price on the eGolf

£1,686 down, and 35 payments of £281 on 15k miles pa. A total of £11,521 over the 36 mth term
Fuel on my current ICE for 45k miles would be circa £9k, less 45k of electric at 3ppm = £1,350, so £3,871 or £108 per month for cost of rental of the eGolf.
Depreciation on any car is going be more than that!

For comparison the same term on a Nissan Leaf N Connecta 40kWh = is
£2,478 down, and 35 payments of £413 on 15k miles pa. A total of £16,933 over the 36 mth term.
so using the same fuel costs that come out to £9,283 as the cost of rental.

Comparing the Leaf to MG ZS, owning seems to make sense, but the eGolf seems very cheap.

Hmmmm. Have I missed something???
Not missed anything. Golf is far superior in every sense and doesn’t suffer the same risk of injury to rear seat passengers that caused the MG to only score 3 stars in EuroNCAP crash testing.

Think they’re trying to shift the Golf with so many waiting for the ID3 instead.
Some lease firms have them in stock ready to go. Not sure of colours.

Think the cheapest I saw on leasing.com at 5k miles a year was a 24 month lease with about £1,700 initial payment and £180 a month.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Having driven the e-Golf, I think it's a fantastic car. I'll be comparing it to a ZS EV later this week but IMO the Golf is a known entity and if you could get it for near the same price as the ZS EV then it would be a no-brainer.

Also consider retained value - a Golf is likely to be worth a lot more than the MG by the time you come to sell it.

The Golf also has an 8 year, 100k mile battery warranty, vs the MG's slightly more generous but shorter overall 7 year, 80k mile warranty.
Have a look on leasing.com - I think they’re about £180 a month for 2 years with a £1,700 initial payment at 5k miles P.a with higher mileage possible.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Have a MG ZS test drive tomorrow, but have been quoted a this price on the eGolf

£1,686 down, and 35 payments of £281 on 15k miles pa. A total of £11,521 over the 36 mth term
Fuel on my current ICE for 45k miles would be circa £9k, less 45k of electric at 3ppm = £1,350, so £3,871 or £108 per month for cost of rental of the eGolf.
Depreciation on any car is going be more than that!

For comparison the same term on a Nissan Leaf N Connecta 40kWh = is
£2,478 down, and 35 payments of £413 on 15k miles pa. A total of £16,933 over the 36 mth term.
so using the same fuel costs that come out to £9,283 as the cost of rental.

Comparing the Leaf to MG ZS, owning seems to make sense, but the eGolf seems very cheap.

Hmmmm. Have I missed something???
Not much missed. My test drive is Saturday. You could get a Premium Ioniq 38kwh on 3 year contract hire for the same price as the Golf (cheaper on 2 year). Built to order for Jan 2020 and choice of colours available. I think that is what I am going for now on 20k miles a year.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,350 Posts
We’ve switched from an MG reservation to an IONIQ 20MY on PCH. Main negatives on the MG were no preheating/charge timer, no climate control, analogue dash. It drives well and the finish is fine but just didn’t tick all our boxes.
Can you please help me understand the differences between the Premium, P-SE and the e-Golf?

I was being told the Ioniq had better specs than the Golf but not sure what those are.

Do all have ACC and heated front screens, for example?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Doesn't look like it @smithgt. VW is desperate to shift the e-Golf for two reasons:

- Obsolete when Mk8 Golfs come out (replaced with ID3)

- In 2021 the EU will be fining car manufacturers (including VW) 90 EUR per gram of CO2/100km per car over the permitted fleet average. In this case VW faces a 2 billion EUR fine.

The targets get stricter in 2025 and 2030, so electrification is the only way forward. Therefore, VW is pushing EVs hard, and this means competitive pricing for everyone.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Do all have ACC and heated front screens, for example?
Hi @donald The e.Golf does NOT have heated front seats as standard.
The heated seats is only available as part of the "Winter Pack".
This includes heated headlight washer jets also, if my memory serves me correctly I think the option is about £400 ish ???.
It would have to be on MY wish list for the e.Golf.
The e.Golf has very little as standard equipment really, many of the nice goodies are factory options, that bump's the price up very quickly.
A bit poor for what was the most expensive Golf that VW produced.
When jumping into an e.Golf, the inside trim can also be underwhelming.
If you prepared to take an e.Golf in it's basic format, then I think you can drive a pretty good deal.

·
23,350 Posts
Hi, yeah, so what does Ioniq get, and SE on top of that?

Personally I think a heated screen is more important than a heated seat.

·
23,350 Posts
Ioniq Spec here: https://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/ioniq/electric

SE includes
Heated & vented seats
Electric Driver Seat
Leather
Auto Wipers, & Window Defog
Privacy Glass
Parking Sensors F&R
BSD - Blind Spot Detection
Lane Follow
Rear Cross Traffic Alert
'Window defog' what does that mean? Is it more hardware or just a software feature.

Lane follow is about the only option I would want. Does this mean, together with 'stop and go', if I fall asleep in a traffic queue it'll drive itself to work?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts