Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This article - http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1090435_bmws-toughest-task-training-car-dealers-on-i3-electric-car - appears to suggest it is, or could be, at least in the US.

People in the comments section also raise some points we have also had raised here, not least about dealers not wanting to take-away their life-long ICE profit margins and initial outlay for complex servicing and such.

It really is going to be a hard slog to do something so simple... get cars battery powered!

Here's another article from the same site taking much the same view about car dealerships in general: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1090281_many-car-dealers-dont-want-to-sell-electric-cars-heres-why

·
Banned
558 Posts
What we need are multi-brand EV showrooms? Current dealerships from management-to sales-to servicing have an ICE'd mindset. Even the EV salesman is invariably a retread! He does his best - but is depressed by his lack of commission earned!

We need showrooms that herald the brave-new-world of a healthier environment and transportation that uses 100% renewable energy! There should be an aura around the vehicles and a halo over those who sell them! Purchasers should feel elevated to a radical new world - of enlightened behaviour and new social mores!

The decision to make EV vehicles conventional (except i3/i8?) is part of the problem - too many comparisons, that the EV can't meet! There could/should be lots of tiny urban EVs that would have transformed town centres and residential zones. Greater reliance on other modes of transport from light rail upwards!

To be certain of getting to a low (zero?) carbon economy there is a need for new paradigms - for all aspects of life, not just personal transport!

·
Registered
704 Posts
This article - http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1090435_bmws-toughest-task-training-car-dealers-on-i3-electric-car - appears to suggest it is, or could be, at least in the US.

People in the comments section also raise some points we have also had raised here, not least about dealers not wanting to take-away their life-long ICE profit margins and initial outlay for complex servicing and such.

It really is going to be a hard slog to do something so simple... get cars battery powered!

Here's another article from the same site taking much the same view about car dealerships in general: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1090281_many-car-dealers-dont-want-to-sell-electric-cars-heres-why
Not only the dealers but in the event of body damage I read some time ago that there is only one repair depot in the country that they will be sent to.
Geoff

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Not only the dealers but in the event of body damage I read some time ago that there is only one repair depot in the country that they will be sent to.
Geoff
At the moment, this is correct but only for damage to the carbon-fibre life cell AFAIR. Other stuff is more conventional and should be able to be done locally.

However, it is the intention of BMW to increase the number of centres that can repair the carbon-fibre components so it should get better in time... they didn't say how long though.

So for now, if you have a smash and the life-cell is damaged they will flatbed it to their repair centre and back after repair.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Trucking the car to a single facility, paying BMW labour rates + longer hire cars times, is going to be reflected in Ins Premiums? The car repair industry is now very efficient and ins companies have the whole process well refined. It strikes me that a £500 knock with a pull/fill/prime and paint could turn out to be 10 times the price?

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
You are pulling and filling the plastic body panels? What kind of body shop is this?

Long term the i3 should be cheaper to repair than your lump of metal, welcome to the future. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts